HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:58 AM

Is it Just Me?

Or does London have its priorities set ass-backwards? In today's LFP, there was a big article about how the city plans to spend $1.2 billion in transportation upgrades over the next 18 years. $745 million of that amount will be devoted to the construction of a ring road and major artery enhancements, and just $378 million will go to implementation of a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system.

My thinking is the spending proposals should go the other way around, with road enhancements done to support BRT and the bulk of the money spent on improving public transit.

A ring road has been discussed for years now, and while it will make cross-city trips a little easier, it will not do that much to resolve London's chronic and worsening transportation problems.

The other problem I have with the proposal is that $1.2 billion, spread out over 18 years is only $66 million per year, barely enough to do anything really meaningful.

I still have trouble with understanding why London isn't looking at implementing BRT until 2024. It should be working on it now. At least focus on widening the Richmond - Wellington Road corridor and getting the first line set up along that route.

Other Ontario cities are well on their way to implementing LRT, while London is still toying with the idea of BRT.

By comparison, the city of Curitiba in Brazil has had a very successful BRT system for at least 15 years now, and it didn't require a lot of political wrangling and endless study to get implemented.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy