HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
From the book I linked in the last comment:

Chief Thunderchild was a native of the Saskatchewan Plains where he fought, hunted, lived and sometimes nearly starved. He lived on the North Saskatchewan during the last days of the Plains Cree freedom, resisting the treaties with the Canadian government as long as he could, eventually moving to a reserve.
I am not sure Thunderchild ever set foot in Regina. The reserve named for him is near Turtle Lake.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 10:23 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am not sure Thunderchild ever set foot in Regina. The reserve named for him is near Turtle Lake.
May be the case; but Thunderchild is one of the approved names for a Regina street oddly enough lol.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 8:19 PM

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/three-bidde...pass-1.1964835

CTV Regina
Published Monday, August 18, 2014 1:26PM CST

Three bidders have been shortlisted for the contract to build the new Regina bypass.
Queen City Infrastructure Group, Wascana Development Partners and SaskLink Global Transportation Partners were among five bidders who responded to a request for qualifications for the project.
The bypass will begin on Highway 11 northwest of Regina and run south to the Trans-Canada Highway.
It will then wrap around the city about five kilometres south of Highway 1, and will be routed 400 metres east of Tower Road to connect back with Highway 1 on the east side of Regina.
The project will also include three overpasses at the Pilot Butte Access Road, Highway 48 at White City and Highway 46 at Balgonie.
The government says the cost of the public-private project will be determined through a competitive bidding process.
Construction is scheduled to begin next summer, and the bypass is expected to open to traffic by fall 2018. The province says “priority components” will open in advance of the full completion.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 9:13 PM

Thanks for the info Sask1982!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Thanks for the info Sask1982!
This article lists the 3 contenders (who their ensembles consist of):
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...507/story.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM

First layer of asphalt lay'd on the south sections of the bypass to the CP rail bridge. Not sure about the north side yet.

On a side note, I wish they would have paved rotary ave out to the west bypass and put lights there and lights at dewdney. That way trucks wouldn't have to drive on Dewdney after this, and they would be ready to build the system interchange to connect to Rotary Ave in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
First layer of asphalt lay'd on the south sections of the bypass to the CP rail bridge. Not sure about the north side yet.

On a side note, I wish they would have paved rotary ave out to the west bypass and put lights there and lights at dewdney. That way trucks wouldn't have to drive on Dewdney after this, and they would be ready to build the system interchange to connect to Rotary Ave in the near future.
Where is Rotary Avenue? This is the first time I have heard of this street name.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Where is Rotary Avenue? This is the first time I have heard of this street name.
Rotary Avenue is the road directly to the north of Loblaws massive warehouse. Shown in this google maps shot.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44692.../data=!3m1!1e3

So that it would look like this...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Rotary Avenue is the road directly to the north of Loblaws massive warehouse. Shown in this google maps shot.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44692.../data=!3m1!1e3

So that it would look like this...
lol, you're slipping up dude. What happened to the sophisticated CAD drawings?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:35 AM

http://www.thegth.com/customized-sol...nfrastructure/

Interchanges and Rotary Ave are shown on the GTH map.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
lol, you're slipping up dude. What happened to the sophisticated CAD drawings?
Haha was rushed for time :p Don't worry they will make a return later

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the info on Rotary Avenue.
I guess I should take a drive out there one of these days.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Thanks everyone for the info on Rotary Avenue.
I guess I should take a drive out there one of these days.
Yes it is pretty intense out there. I also have an email to the Ministry to clear up a few items. I will post when I get a response.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
This article lists the 3 contenders (who their ensembles consist of):
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...507/story.html
Just for interests sake, the name of the lead German bidder "HOCHTIEF" translates into English as "high" (HOCH) "deep" (TIEF). I just found that curious

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
Just for interests sake, the name of the lead German bidder "HOCHTIEF" translates into English as "high" (HOCH) "deep" (TIEF). I just found that curious
The original name was: Aktiengesellschaft für Hoch- und Tiefbauten ("Construction and Civil Engineering Corporation", though literally the "Corporation for High - Hoch and Deep - Tief Construction - Bauten).[23

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The original name was: Aktiengesellschaft für Hoch- und Tiefbauten ("Construction and Civil Engineering Corporation", though literally the "Corporation for High - Hoch and Deep - Tief Construction - Bauten).[23
Aha, well that makes sense now. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:25 PM

From Sask Builds ( http://www.saskbuilds.ca/projects/Re...20Project.html )

Regina Bypass

Project History:

May 13, 2014 - Request for Qualifications (RFQ) was issued and closed July 7, 2014.
August 18, 2014 – three proponent teams were shortlisted and announced as moving forward to Request for Proposal (RFP) phase of procurement.
September 10, 2014 – business-to-business networking event to introduce local businesses to shortlisted proponent teams.
Summer 2015 – selection of preferred proponent.
Summer 2015 – construction expected to begin.
Fall 2017 – West Regina Bypass and Pilot Butte interchange expected to be open in advance of full completion.
Fall 2018 – projected completion date.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:26 PM

Does anyone have any information about the West Regina Bypass' current state? It looks like the bridge is nearly complete, roads south look like they are ready for pavement. However, the north roads to Dewdney Ave from the CP Rail line have yet to be started, also the connection to Pinky at Hill Ave is also yet to be moved forward. Is this project still slated to be completed before the end of fall?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:15 PM

News about the West Regina Bypass (WRB)

The section of the WRB that joins the 4-lane CP Rail bridge to Dewdney Ave has been put on hold. This is to facilitate the construction of a Systems Interchange connecting the WRB to Rotary Ave and a Service Interchange to be built at Dewdney Ave. The 4-Lane component is not expected to be open for travel in 2014.

This section of work is expected to be complete and open for the end of Fall 2017.

Personally I am a little disappointed that trucks will still have to travel along Pinky road till 2017, however, I am happy that they (Ministry of Highways) decided not to spend a lot of money to extend the road North of the CP Rail Line, only to have it ripped up a year or so later.

Also we are in for a heck of a transformation on the west side of the city. A side of the city that has been neglected for so many years.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:05 PM

Quote:
News about the West Regina Bypass (WRB)

The section of the WRB that joins the 4-lane CP Rail bridge to Dewdney Ave has been put on hold. This is to facilitate the construction of a Systems Interchange connecting the WRB to Rotary Ave and a Service Interchange to be built at Dewdney Ave. The 4-Lane component is not expected to be open for travel in 2014.

This section of work is expected to be complete and open for the end of Fall 2017.

Personally I am a little disappointed that trucks will still have to travel along Pinky road till 2017, however, I am happy that they (Ministry of Highways) decided not to spend a lot of money to extend the road North of the CP Rail Line, only to have it ripped up a year or so later.

Also we are in for a heck of a transformation on the west side of the city. A side of the city that has been neglected for so many years.
Not to mention the east side. It will have a whole different look driving in from #1 east with 4 new interchanges.

I also notice on page 8 of the link that they have clarified that the Fleet St. at-grade intersection will be right turns only, but the Courtney St. at-grade will be all-turns. Yikes. How scary is that. The whole system has only one at grade crossing. Some combine crossing the highway is gonna get smoked by a semi. I suppose they figure almost no one will use that intersection for the foreseeable future. They will have automatic traffic lights I assume.

http://www.saskbuilds.ca/projects/Re...022%202014.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan