HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:20 PM
-

im so pissed about the Coconut Beach thing, they need to at least find them a suitable new location.. why not dredge some area out of the Lake?

But yes West End has been in decline for years and really could be amazing...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Anyone heard anything about any projects on this corner?

The old run down sign store, Moms Sno balls and cheap nail place have all closed in the last two weeks. Moms moved to a building on St Charles and now the building has large Gibbs construction signs on it.

It is a great corner and surrounded by the Civic Lofts and 930 Poydras- maybe somebody got the hint?
Someone who did some work with Gibbs told me about a month ago that he is renovating the building or buildings between Poydras and Civic Lofts into apartments. I don't know exactly what buildings it is.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:31 PM

Gibbs sure is staying busy in the CBD area. What is this Josephine Lofts on thier Bid list?

http://www.gibbsconstruction.com/bid-list/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Anyone heard anything about any projects on this corner?

The old run down sign store, Moms Sno balls and cheap nail place have all closed in the last two weeks. Moms moved to a building on St Charles and now the building has large Gibbs construction signs on it.

It is a great corner and surrounded by the Civic Lofts and 930 Poydras- maybe somebody got the hint?
Checking the Orleans Parish Assessors office shows that the two buildings do indeed belong to Gibbs... So im sure hes seeking to upgrade the quality of the tennants and the building themselves...Assuming hes ending leases so that he can begin an overhaul of the buildings.

Its likely that hes renovating the upper floors into apartments and the bottom floor will remain retail.. I do know there were plans to do something unique with the Civic Theatre itself which is still sitting there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Gibbs sure is staying busy in the CBD area. What is this Josephine Lofts on thier Bid list?

http://www.gibbsconstruction.com/bid-list/
Why is Plaquemines Parish building such a large jail? or is it mistaken and thats really for New Orleans?

Jospehine Lofts has shown up on a list of Hud Projects for 2011.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:42 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Checking the Orleans Parish Assessors office shows that the two buildings do indeed belong to Gibbs... So im sure hes seeking to upgrade the quality of the tennants and the building themselves...Assuming hes ending leases so that he can begin an overhaul of the buildings.

Its likely that hes renovating the upper floors into apartments and the bottom floor will remain retail.. I do know there were plans to do something unique with the Civic Theatre itself which is still sitting there.
Gibbs owns virtually the entire block. He already converted the Civic Theatre into lofts - it's a pretty cool development. (I think the auditorium itself is unused). He then built 930 Poydras on the vacant lot, and now he's apparently tackling the Baronne/Poydras buildings, which were pretty seedy. They could be pretty nice if they were renovated, but they seem out of place on modern-day Poydras Street... I hope they get replaced with a mid-rise structure that fits into the streetscape better.

Josephine Lofts is the block behind the Walmart on Tchoupitoulas. There's a great old abandoned brick warehouse there. Last I heard, the plan was to turn the brick building into lofts and then convert the surrounding metal sheds to retail (along Tchoup) and light industrial usage.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 8:05 AM

Jesuit Athletic facility construction progress

Here's some pics of Jesuit High School's new sports complex located just over the Jefferson/ Orleans line

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
Here's some pics of Jesuit High School's new sports complex located just over the Jefferson/ Orleans line

As a Jesuit Graduate I have mixed feelings about this... but I suppose it was a decent option.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:24 PM

Civic Theatre

Quote:
I was so confused when I first read your sentence about doing something unique with the Civic Theatre....I was thinking that the whole building had been renovated and "what were you talking about?"

Then I connected the dots...I can see the actual theatre itself from our partner's office in the Energy Centre and always wondered why that building had a split level roof...now I should connected the dots at that point, but I never realized that the buildings where the lofts are now connected through the alley to the very back where the actual theatre is!

Hopefully they do something with it, but I have no idea what you could do with a windowless old chunk of a theatre...except make it some kind of posh, wine serving place where they show old / unique movies..i dunno.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Hopefully they do something with it, but I have no idea what you could do with a windowless old chunk of a theatre...except make it some kind of posh, wine serving place where they show old / unique movies..i dunno.
I'm hoping now that since the CBD is getting a grocery store, a movie theater will follow. The Joy/Civic/Orpheum/Municipal Auditorium would all be an excellent start at revitalizing the buildings themselves, and keeping people from driving to Jefferson Parish to spend their movie money.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:52 PM
-

Quote:
I was so confused when I first read your sentence about doing something unique with the Civic Theatre....I was thinking that the whole building had been renovated and "what were you talking about?"

Then I connected the dots...I can see the actual theatre itself from our partner's office in the Energy Centre and always wondered why that building had a split level roof...now I should connected the dots at that point, but I never realized that the buildings where the lofts are now connected through the alley to the very back where the actual theatre is!

Sorry if I confused you. I often post from my iphone so I try to be as short as possible with my posts so yes you have to read them carefully sometimes !!! Ill see if I can get any more info on what the long term plans are. Originally they were supposed to be more lofts but that seems shortsighted considering the potential for the place. Im sure hes waiting for the neighborhood to develop a bit more before deciding what to do with it. I will say one bar can start changing the atmosphere. For example after Gaga concert Saturday night we all stayed and partied at Ste Marie... would have never done that just a few months ago!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:37 PM

Streetcar line

I know yall mentioned that the Loyola streetcar line is going to supposedly have construction start in June, but is the Rampart/St. Claude/Elysian Fields project going to happen anytime soon?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I know yall mentioned that the Loyola streetcar line is going to supposedly have construction start in June, but is the Rampart/St. Claude/Elysian Fields project going to happen anytime soon?
I dont know if there is a definitive start date as they still have to sell the bonds and they also have to finalaize the exact route. Going back and forth between two different options! Id say it could be finished by 2013..

BTW here are some old pictures of the Civic/Poche Theatre:

Some pictures of the Poche/Civic Theater:
Entrance:
http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cd...SOBOX=1&REC=19
From the stage:
http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cd...SOBOX=1&REC=20
Stage entrance:
http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cd...SOBOX=1&REC=18

on another interesting note the Civic Theatre Disco in New Orleans owned and operated by Glen Tortorich. A converted Art Deco theater was billed as the world's largest disco accommodating over 1500 and referred to as the Studio 54 of the South.

Bet that place was crazy during Disco!

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I'm hoping now that since the CBD is getting a grocery store, a movie theater will follow. The Joy/Civic/Orpheum/Municipal Auditorium would all be an excellent start at revitalizing the buildings themselves, and keeping people from driving to Jefferson Parish to spend their movie money.
A downtown movie theater would be awesome, but it's really tough to make it work nowadays unless you're a multiplex. Very few people want to go to a movie theater with one screen where the seats are mostly empty and there's only one movie playing.

The Civic might make a better concert venue, but that might be upsetting to the residents of Civic and 930 Poydras.

The good thing is that there are no multiplexes in the entire city. A downtown one would do really well if they figured out the parking situation. Hopefully we can get an AMC down near the power plant. A Century would be even better.

Here's the interior of the Civic in 1970 during a revival. Soon after that, it was turned into a disco, so I don't know what historic decoration remains, if any.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:10 PM

Quote:
As a Jesuit Graduate I have mixed feelings about this... but I suppose it was a decent option.
same here...class of 08 btw..

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Do you ever go to the Theatres at Canal Place?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
same here...class of 08 btw..
Class of 03 here

What school is this for?

1067510 New Orleans, LA Educational 04/13/2011
Description Renovation of and addition to an educational facility in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing school building, including the construction of a two-story, 45,000-square-foot addition to the top of the building. A...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 14, 2011 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 10:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Do you ever go to the Theatres at Canal Place?
Perfect illustration of why a small theater showing first-run Hollywood films doesn't really work. Canal Place does well, but only because they're the only theater in the entire damn city. Even though they're doing well relative to their size, most New Orleanians don't go there.

Does anybody think a professional soccer team would work in New Orleans? Charleston has one, so clearly it can work in the South. It wouldn't necessarily need a massive stadium... they could probably make it work in Tad Gormley in City Park if they built shading canopies.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Gotcha...that makes sense.

Any historic pictures of Rampart the way it used to be? I didn't know it used to be that way.
Historic Rampart FTW!

Last edited by Reverend_Cletus; Apr 15, 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Class of 03 here

What school is this for?

1067510 New Orleans, LA Educational 04/13/2011
Description Renovation of and addition to an educational facility in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing school building, including the construction of a two-story, 45,000-square-foot addition to the top of the building. A...Click here for complete Project Details
Monroe Hall at Loyola, but it's only conceptual at this point. They are feeling out estimates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations