HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:24 PM
HVAC guru

^ I agree. It is interesting to look at, but I don't particularly like it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:26 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

Speaking of this whole thing... One design build team is conspicuously missing from the list. I wonder why ? HMMMMMMMMM........
As in somebody is too busy with arena plans?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:35 PM
HVAC guru

^ Nope!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:43 PM
DRINK

Clark? Stuart Olsen? Kiewett?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:46 PM
HVAC guru

Can't say, but sounds like they have been "de-invited" to work on any government contracts.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
DRINK

ha. oops.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
^ I've done tonnes of design build work, it's applicable and suitable for far more than warehouses. Probably not the best choice for a museum though. Of course, the $340 million dollar budget probably would not have been suitable either.

Speaking of this whole thing... One design build team is conspicuously missing from the list. I wonder why ? HMMMMMMMMM........
SNAFU over at AI....actually two them. The second is having a lousy $170M for hard construction dollars. Snelgrove is a cheap fukc. I agree with David Staples - kill the project unless the budget is increased for hard construction...another $100M for hard construction or remove the cap. This is a 300 year building...and the centrepiece of the Capital City...not a farm elevator in Wainwright.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Can't say, but sounds like they have been "de-invited" to work on any government contracts.
Thought I read above a urinal something about 2 firms...one a contractor the other a design firm. Both had ownership roots here...at one time. Now only offices. God I would love a beer and bull session with a few ppl on here.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 2:32 AM
surely you agree with me

who the heck is Dialog of Alberta?

i've never in my life seen an architecture competition with contractors as the lead proponents...what does the AAA say about this.

i cant believe diamond and schmidt and moriyama would even put their names to those designs....they all look like shopping centres.

i would go with the richard meier just because he has a record of making understated buildings look nice....his proposal looks like the types of projects he was doing in the late 70's early 80's.

i was pretty excited to see the results of this (as im sure most of you guys were)....i am sorry to say that im disappointed....this was an opportunity to make an icon for western canada.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

i've never in my life seen an architecture competition with contractors as the lead proponents...what does the AAA say about this.

i cant believe diamond and schmidt and moriyama would even put their names to those designs....they all look like shopping centres.

i would go with the richard meier just because he has a record of making understated buildings look nice....his proposal looks like the types of projects he was doing in the late 70's early 80's.

i was pretty excited to see the results of this (as im sure most of you guys were)....i am sorry to say that im
disappointed....this was an opportunity to make an icon for western canada.
All Design Build projects are led by the Builder....this is because they hold typically 87-90% of the actual work (construction) and front end the cash flow, contract security ie bonds, insurance. If your reading Staples he does not know is talking about. Love his passion but he is out of his depth.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:08 AM

Good news??

Quote:
There could be room to make changes to the winning design, Danyluk said.

“Do we need to create that wow factor? I think there’s an opportunity to work with the successful team to create that wow factor if we feel that’s missing,” he said
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...175/story.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 7:17 PM
BANNED

But because it's a museum, with massively complicated HVAC systems and gallery requirements, any WOW is going to be as integral as the fins on a 57 Eldorado, or trying to hide an ugly girl under a fancy hat.

They're gonna need to Carmen Miranda the heck outta the proposals.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Im guessing the province is pissed at Clark because of the federal building.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

i was pretty excited to see the results of this (as im sure most of you guys were)....i am sorry to say that im disappointed....this was an opportunity to make an icon for western canada.
I think Dialog is a rebranded Cohos. The archi-satanists behind Hall D, Science World expansion... et al.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:30 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Im guessing the province is pissed at Clark because of the federal building.
Guess again, Clark isn't the one's kicked of the Fed Building....Kasian Architecture is! Actually from the meetings I've sat in on Clark and AI appear to have a pretty good relationship.
My Clark contacts advised me that they were not willing to tie up resources on that project.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
Guess again, Clark isn't the one's kicked of the Fed Building....Kasian Architecture is! Actually from the meetings I've sat in on Clark and AI appear to have a pretty good relationship.
My Clark contacts advised me that they were not willing to tie up resources on that project.
There were a number of firms not willing to tie up resources and also not willing to work with the DB plan.

I know my own firm looked at it and decided not to get involved.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 5:04 PM

Having had the opportunity to view much larger photos of the renderings on the weekend I've changed my mind: The Ledcor is by far the best of the lot. Still hoping all the designs get upgraded, though.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 11:03 PM

Mandel defends RAM designs
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...um-mandel.html

Quote:
Mandel said the backlash is uncalled for.

"People have overreacted to four schematics that can be dressed up and changed and looked at in a different way," he said.

"I'm not going to comment anymore than [to say I'm] really pleased the province is building the new museum downtown. The Royal Museum is going to be a great asset to our city of Edmonton [and] the province of Alberta."

Mandel said the people are focusing too much on what the building might look like from the outside.

"It's what's inside a museum that counts. I've been to museums all over the world and not that many of them are architectural icons," he said.

"A lot of them are buildings that understand the importance of them, which is to house the artefacts and so if the province is going to spend money I would prefer them to spend it inside the building."
So much for no longer tolerating architectural crap, eh Your Worship?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 11:10 PM
BANNED

It's what's inside that counts, except if it's the Art Gallery. Or City Hall itself.

What a maroon.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 11:36 PM

I agree the Mayor is sending mixed messages...this will have an impact on his credibility on several fronts (going forward). I wonder if he sees continuing value in the Edmonton Design Committee. After all - speaking on RAM design is interfering. So why did he do it? Why try to silence critics? If RAM is built and looks like shit - all fingers can squarely point to the "then" Mayor Mandel...and poor judgement. That said, he muses there could be "fixes". Sure. Lets see those now before the contract is signed or include a cash allowance of $50M to improve the design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton