HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:21 AM
Red Hook Aficionado

Denver -- some light rail & some south pearl

Some more photos from my trip to Denver in May

Sorry about the quality of this animated map... I had to edit the size down to make it manageable for the web and
in doing so, it became kind of jerky. Anyway, it starts out in the South Pearl area (about 4 miles south of downtown),
then takes you over to the Louisiana/Pearl LRT station, then zips over to the Broadway station, flys up to downtown
and finally ends up at 5 points. The photos themselves start out south, go up north and end up back south.

All of the photos were taken in the areas mentioned except for 3 down at the University stop and 1 over near Union Station.
Video Link

"Trial Version" is on there b/c i don't have $400 to waste on the real thing.

Louisiana / Pearl Station

University Station (University of Denver AKA DU)

Broadway Station

A few shots from inside the train (sorry about the clarity, or lack thereof)

Near the Broadway Station

On D Line east of Downtown (Near 5 Points Neighborhhood)

One shot near Union Station - this was taken the previous day (May 19) -- more of this area here http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=132780
All the other shots are from Sunday, May 20

Platt Park -- South Pearl Street Area (Near Lousiana / Pearl Station, 4 Miles south of Downtown)

Bonus! -- Couple of shots from Hayden Green Mountain Park west of Denver

Last edited by MobyLL; Jun 30, 2007 at 5:27 AM. Reason: Added Animated Map

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 6:04 AM

Great photo thread! I definitely enjoyed seeing a side of Denver we don't often see.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 7:43 AM
no its not...

nice job of getting......

....two of Denver's older neighborhoods

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 1:57 PM
In Halifax.

I like that new infill development in the first few photos.

"If the great object of city planning was that Christopher Robin might go hoppety-hoppety on the grass, what was wrong with Le Corbusier?" - J. Jacobs

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:22 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Awesome job with the photos, MobyLL! Funny thing is, when you took those last few shots from Hayden (Green Mountain) Park, you were only about 2 miles from my apartment...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:29 PM

Wow. Denver is simply one of the most beautiful cities on the planet. It's so clean, and the mountains are just breath-taking. Great photos!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:33 PM

I've really enjoyed your last couple of Denver threads... we never get to see neighborhoods of cities, especially Denver. It looks great.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Brings back memories of a great and fun city. I wish I still lived there, but the burgh is great too. I love the photo with the psychedelic hippie bus parked infront of the yoga place. That is so Denver. Good job.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 4:52 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Brings back memories of a great and fun city. I wish I still lived there, but the burgh is great too. I love the photo with the psychedelic hippie bus parked infront of the yoga place. That is so Denver. Good job.
Funny, but we are moving to Denver soon (if all works out as planned) and the other place we were seriously considering is Pittsburgh. I have a job where I can work from home now, so we were looking for a place away from earthquakes and hurricanes that would provide some character and urban type stimulation, but not too expensive. My favorite city in the whole world is NYC and I lived there for 15 years, but I am an old man now (45 on June 14) and have a family and all and can't afford NY anymore. Currently in Miami (long story).

There are some really great photo threads on pittsburgh by everygrey, mrherodotus and others, but if you haven't already checked it out see this by flash:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=132578

Absolutely amazing photos of the burgh.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:26 PM
BANNED

I send all Flash's website to every yinzer that I know. After living in Pittsburgh (my hometown) and Denver for a few years after college here is my opinion. Pittsburgh has more character with history and heritage. It also has distinct neighborhoods with each one having their own style and character. Denver still has its history and heritage, just not as distinct as Pittsburgh. Denver’s neighborhoods aren’t as unique as the Burgh. Denver has more recreational opportunities (perhaps the top in the nation), although Pittsburgh still has a good deal with the Laurel Highlands just 45 miles just a drive away. It is a great place to go, and Falling Water is great to go see there, but the Rockies blows everything away in my opinion. Denver’s weather is by far 10 times better. You get snow, but it melts quickly and gets sunny right after. In Pittsburgh, get ready for 3 months with the Sun making an appearance one in a while. They both have great museums, zoos, and city recreational opportunities. People are also very friendly in both cities and they are more laid back then the big cities. Just watch out for the Denver Suburbs, they are sprawl havens and lack anything with character. (which is true for anywhere)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 8:35 PM
Lowe's

Very cool pics. I miss home.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:54 PM

I love seeing photos of transit in other cities. Your city's system looks slick!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 12:10 AM
Mile High Guy

Great photos. Nice depiction of our great city. Most transplants love Denver -- mostly for it's weather, recreational and outdoor opportunities, and the great city life you can enjoy. Looks like you only caught a picture the foothills in the last pics, and not the 14,000 foot peaks behind them since you were up so close.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:09 AM
Red Hook Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
Great photos. Nice depiction of our great city. Most transplants love Denver -- mostly for it's weather, recreational and outdoor opportunities, and the great city life you can enjoy. Looks like you only caught a picture the foothills in the last pics, and not the 14,000 foot peaks behind them since you were up so close.

Here are a couple more mountain pics -- this time from Harvard Gulch Park about 5 miles south of downtown. The clouds kind of made getting the peaks difficult.
But i did also go to the red rocks area and Central City. I was going to go up to Rocky Mountain National Park, but ran out of time and just looped back to Denver through Boulder.
Still saw lots of beautiful mountains/scenery though.

BTW i am originally from New Mexico, so maybe you can consider me a long-lost cousin rather than a transplant

Scroooooooooooll -------->

Last edited by MobyLL; Jun 16, 2007 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:22 AM
InfillJunkie

This place makes awesome crepes on Old South Pearl!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:03 AM

You were at my stop! I board the H train at DU station every morning and ride downtown with my bike, and then change clothes after work and bike home through the Pearl/Washington Park neighborhoods. It's a great part of the city, lots of older homes and urban retail districts only a few miles southeast of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:51 AM

Denver has some incredible homes in my neighborhood of Govenor's Park and Capital Hill. Along Montview and 7th and 6th avenue parkways are some of the most unique in the country. I will post a historic Denver thread soon.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:50 AM

These are the most interesting pictures I've ever seen of Denver, and there is some grit I've never seen before. In a way it sort of changed my view of the city. Don't get me wrong don't hate it, but also at the same time what I did see made me think of a sterile city, and bland. I kind of put Denver in the catagory as San Diego. Beautiful city, but somewhat boring because its diversity isn't like in your face.

Thanks for sharing a side I think I would love to see if I'm ever in Denver again.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:14 PM
Developer

Awesome train and neighborhood scenes. Denver is a cool town.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 5:55 PM
passion for patterns

two words: nanu, nanu!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos