HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:25 PM

Developers paid for the 'rural' Ravenswood rail extension in 1900 expecting large population growth, and now developers want another rail stop near their big development. It's a pretty similar idea, but the open space is in a different place.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:37 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
OK, yea maybe in China, or Chicago in 1890 but not in Chicago or the US in 2019.
Honolulu, 2019

I know it's an outlier, but still:

_

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:28 AM
SUSPENDED

Is there any 3d representation of the transit center under block 37?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 6:46 PM
TL;DR

^
https://www.structuremag.org/wp-cont...ht-Dec-071.pdf

http://www.thorntontomasetti.com/wp-...7_Overview.pdf

Also there is this fun image... yes, that is the outside face of the CTA tunnel. Basically an interstitial space between the foundation wall of Block 37 and the Blue Line tunnel. CTA would have needed to bust through both sets of walls to connect tracks into Block 37.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:17 AM
>~< , QED!

Snapped a quick pic of the upgraded Garfield station while waiting for the train today.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:10 PM

Has the CTA ever done any serious consideration of a new Green Line station in the South Loop? Maybe between Balbo and 8th? Given the office boom in the West Loop around Morgan, and the desire to increase South Loop residential, that's a station that could prove very popular, while filling in a large Green Line gap.
I know that would be very close to Harrison's Red Line stop, but transfers are time consuming and reduce ridership.

Last edited by aaron38; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Has the CTA ever done any serious consideration of a new Green Line station in the South Loop? Maybe between Balbo and 8th? Given the office boom in the West Loop around Morgan, and the desire to increase South Loop residential, that's a station that could prove very popular, while filling in a large Green Line gap.
They built the Cermak one a couple years ago so it's probably not out of the question. Something near the Harrison Red line stop would probably be useful for the Riverline/Southbank residents. Actually a 15th st green line stop would probably also be useful, but considering the opposition to the new red line stop around there, it might be an hard sell.

"In a quality city, a person should be able to live their entire life without a car, and not feel deprived." - Paul Bedford

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I know that would be very close to Harrison's Red Line stop, but transfers are time consuming and reduce ridership.
I'd rather see the money put into a proper transfer at Jackson/Library from subways to the L. The city even has a big plot of land in Pritzker Park to build escalators/elevators.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveled View Post
Is there any 3d representation of the transit center under block 37?
I can't point you to the resource, but I have a clear memory of seeing something like that in a large Tribune article about the project written some time during the Daley administration, if you want to focus your Googling down a bit.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation