HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
At least all these higher density units will be fairly close to LRT.
True enough...especially once the extension to CRC gets built. One can only hope that they finish that line before the neighborhood gets built out, and they can set up some kind of transit authority to provide a neighborhood shuttle between the retail center, the residential areas and the light rail ine.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 12:22 AM

I'm still confused as to why this thread is in existence.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 2:29 AM
Here we stAy

I still don't know why you're not more excited about this particular project. This is about as un-suburban-in-a-suburb as you'll ever see for Sacramento. Be happy it's not a Natomas copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
True enough...especially once the extension to CRC gets built. One can only hope that they finish that line before the neighborhood gets built out, and they can set up some kind of transit authority to provide a neighborhood shuttle between the retail center, the residential areas and the light rail ine.
Would be great to have a streetcar from the retail areas, through the res and to LRT. That would be the makings of a great neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I still don't know why you're not more excited about this particular project. This is about as un-suburban-in-a-suburb as you'll ever see for Sacramento. Be happy it's not a Natomas copy.
I can't speak for wburg but statements like Kwong's ("We think it's going to be successful. We don't really have anything like this on the south side of the city. The closest thing similar to this would be in Natomas.") make one wonder if it really does represent any sort of departure from the status quo of the late 20th century. The Delta Shores plan may work, like the Natomas one did, on paper, for a while, but when push comes to shove, development tends to go in much different directions over time. It is usually driven by the bottom line, not our desire for some better planning paradigm. Unless the City was to suddenly develop a backbone...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:57 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverave View Post
Unless the City was to suddenly develop a backbone...
There's always hope.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:00 AM
Kodachrome

Next month Cal-ISO plans to start construction of it's new $125M facility in Folsom.
The 277,000 sf building expects to be finished in Feb. 2011.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 8:11 PM
Closed account

Folsom welcomes new bridge
menkoji@sacbee.com
Published Friday, Mar. 27, 2009

For merchants in Folsom's Old Town, a new four-lane concrete road stretching across the American River promises a chance at renewed prosperity after six years of traffic nightmares and slumping sales.

Folsom Lake Crossing, the city's third bridge spanning the river, opens Saturday, diverting rush-hour traffic from a historic district that has suffered badly since the federal government closed the road atop Folsom Dam.

"You have no idea how happy we are about this bridge," said Jim Snook, a second-generation owner of Snooks Chocolate Factory and president of the Folsom Historical District Association.

The new 1,000-foot bridge – a $139 million, two-year project – is expected to convey 22,000 cars daily across the river and along a new two-mile stretch of road connecting East Natoma Street east of the river to Folsom- Auburn Road on the west.

After the 9/11 terrorist attacks heightened security measures, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation in 2003 closed a two-lane road across the spine of the Folsom Dam where 18,000 cars crossed the river daily. The dam road, a few miles north of the historic downtown, was the main corridor for traffic between Placer and El Dorado counties.

Closing the road diverted that traffic south to Rainbow Bridge and onto the historic district's narrow, Gold Rush-era streets. Commuter traffic coursed through part of a 100-block designated historical area, sometimes bottlenecking at the two-lane bridge.

"It was gridlock here," said Snook, whose shop is on Sutter Street, the commercial corridor of the mostly residential historical district.

After attempts to get the road reopened failed, Folsom opted to build a new path across the river close to the old dam crossing. Construction began in 2007.

In the meantime, the city had attempted to ease congestion in the area, particularly on surrounding residential streets, by limiting left turns and adjusting stoplights. All the measures exasperated visitors trying to shop and dine in the historical downtown, merchants said.

Traffic congestion that frustrated or discouraged downtown visitors caused a collective 21 percent drop in business among 177 business owners, according to a 2004 survey by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. Some merchants have complained the loss is even deeper.

"They've all been experiencing a downturn in sales in the last few years, and the economy hasn't helped," said Joe Luchi, the city's economic development director.

Businesses have closed, including several restaurants in the past few months, he said. Still, he said the vacancy rate is not alarming and the economy could have been a significant factor.

The downtown district generates significant sales tax revenue streams for the city. But Luchi said the significance of Old Town along Sutter Street surpasses any revenue figures.

"It's an important element of the city because it gives us our character," Luchi said.

Snook's store relocated away from the river before the dam road closed, which might have saved him from any serious drop in his own business. But as head of the historical association, he is helping to guide the much-anticipated turnaround.

"We want to create that mind-set now, that it's easy to get around here because there's no more commuters," he said, taking a break from candymaking a few days before the bridge opening.

Closer to the river on Sutter Street, Paula Watson offers jewelry, candles, crystals and other supplies for a new age lifestyle at Planet Earth Rising.

"We're all hurting here," said Watson from her desk in the back of the store.

She and co-owner Darrell Trimble opened seven years ago, just months before the dam road closed.

"They closed it right on us," she said.

Customers complained about long waits to cross the street and barricades that limited access, she said. Business dropped – then really fell when the recession hit.

Watson is hoping for a resurgence once the new bridge veers traffic away.

"We're definitely looking forward to that," she said.

Bobbi Eddy bought her Old Town store – Not Too Shabby – after the road closed six years ago. She welcomes the new route. But for Eddy, the dismal economy is the more looming issue.

Thursday was a bright, warm day – perfect for browsing. But by mid-afternoon, only four customers wandering through Eddy's vintage furniture store had shelled out money to buy goods. Total take: less than $30.

"The bottom line is there is more wrong here than the closed dam road," Eddy said.

Besides the hit to businesses, congestion in the historic district increased traffic accidents and slowed emergency response, said Folsom City Councilman Andy Morin, who was mayor at the 2007 groundbreaking.

He was part of a city team that cobbled together financing, largely federal and state money awarded because of the project's flood-control benefits. The city's $32 million share is mostly from Sacramento County's 2006 half-cent sales tax.

Folsom gained a four-lane bridge with bike and pedestrian lanes and room to grow, Morin said. The capacity of the concrete span is 40,000 cars daily.

"At the end of the day, it wouldn't have been done as quickly if there wasn't a sense of urgency," Morin said.

To mark opening day, Snook created special foil-wrapped chocolate coins for the city to commemorate the new bridge.

"Everyone is just so thrilled," he said.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 6:26 PM
Hindrance to Development

Saw this tidbit in the Bee yesterday. There was an article in addition to the blog/columnist post that I couldn't find, but the information was pretty much the same:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/021176.html
Quote:
March 31, 2009
The next housing boom will be different

A fascinating morning today at the Sutter Club where the Sacramento affiliate of the Urban Land Institute had William Hudnut in for a morning address to about 100 public- and private-sector land use attorneys, real estate consultants, developers, architects and urban planners.

Hudnut is best known as the mayor (1976-1991) who inspired and shepherded the revival of Indianapolis, and has ever since been a big advocate of cities.

We have a story in tomorrow's paper, but the main takeaway point for me was that when this real estate downturn runs its course, the next housing boom will occur under a wave of new environmental legislation that aims to limit greenhouse gases - and clamp down on cars.

Though it's extremely hard to break the familiar development patterns of single-family homes on empty land in suburbs, these rules could well force more growth inward to existing neighborhoods. The rules aren't voluntary and there's likely to be more coming down the line, was the consensus of speakers.

Hudnut calls this the "Re-century." Reinvesting, rebuilding, revitalizing and re-engineering.

He had a lot of nice things to say about Sacramento as home to the SACOG "Blueprint" to make growth until 2050 more land efficient. He praised California, home of AB32 to limit greenhouse gases to 1990 levels, and SB375 to tie development patterns to that goal.

"You seem to get it," he said. "A lot of the country doesn't."

He also praised the walkability of Midtown after a Monday evening reception at the L Street Lofts. He said, "I love the architecture that's been preserved. I love your commitment to historic preservation and the beautiful green space a visitor like myself can enjoy."

(Afterthought, hours later: There's one thing worth noting about any big expectations that housing patterns will change greatly. The California Air Resources Board says changes in development patterns by 2020 will, indeed, trim greenhouse gas emissions - but that nine times more emissions reductions will come from cleaner, more fuel-efficient cars that are still our dominant form of getting around. For all the talk of getting people out of their beloved cars, transit is still only about 2 percent of all trips in the capital region, a fact that shows the continuing challenge of changing behavior to meet climate goals)
I notice that Hudnut's statements imply that historic preservation and increased central city density are closely related subjects, and both are important to the future of development.

I also note that while the public-transit rate of 2% seems pretty dismal, it used to be more like 1%...so, in a sense, it has seen a dramatic increase!

Obviously, a lot of folks here are not fans of environmental laws or government regulations, but for those of you who are fans of urban environments, density, and lively cities based more around pedestrian activity and mixed use, this is good news, even if you think more pollution is wonderful. For those of us who are concerned about the environment, it is good news on several levels.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 8:02 PM
Closed account

^ That article is laughable..

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 8:31 AM
Closed account

Thursday, April 2, 2009, 11:57am PDT
Hazel Avenue construction begins Friday
Sacramento Business Journal - by Melanie Turner Staff writer

Construction of Phase I of the Hazel Avenue Improvement Project is scheduled to begin Friday just north of Highway 50.

The first phase of the project will widen a heavily congested two-mile stretch of Hazel Avenue between Madison Avenue and Highway 50. Work crews will widen Hazel to six lanes between Curragh Downs Drive and Gold Country Boulevard, just south of the American River bridge and north of the freeway.

Hazel Avenue was built to handle 36,000 vehicles a day and gets between 50,000 and 58,000 a day. The $90 million project aims to ease congestion and improve safety in that stretch.

“This vital north-south corridor is one of the most congested roadways in the region and is in great need of improvements,” Sacramento County Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan said, in a news release. “In addition, this $20 million project will create jobs and get money flowing back into the local economy. The Hazel Avenue corridor provides one of a limited number of American River crossings and is an essential transportation link for businesses, resident and commuters.”

The Board of Supervisors on March 24 awarded a contract for the $20 million first phase of construction to Flatiron West Inc. of Grand Junction, Colo. The total estimated cost of Phase I is about $38 million, including design, right-of-way acquisitions and environmental studies.

Phase I is expected to be completed by December 2010.

“This is the start of one of the largest roadway projects ever undertaken by Sacramento County,” Mike Penrose, director of the county’s Department of Transportation, said in the release.

The cost of Phase I is being paid for by developer fees, Measure A sales tax funds, and state and federal funds.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 11:25 PM
Closed account

Hey Guys, I am going to start some new threads regarding:

The Cities of Folsom and El Dorado Hills

The Cities of Roseville and Rocklin

The Cities of Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova and Carmichael.

Why? I think (especially Rancho Cordova with its 61,000 population) these cities are on the rise and should be categorized accordingly. What do you guys think? I am sure Majin is against it...

Any suggestions on how to categorize the cities are very welcome!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hindrance to Development

El Dorado Hills, Fair Oaks and Carmichael aren't cities (not incorporated)

What about Elk Grove?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
Hey Guys, I am going to start some new threads regarding:

The Cities of Folsom and El Dorado Hills

The Cities of Roseville and Rocklin

The Cities of Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova and Carmichael.

Why? I think (especially Rancho Cordova with its 61,000 population) these cities are on the rise and should be categorized accordingly. What do you guys think? I am sure Majin is against it...

Any suggestions on how to categorize the cities are very welcome!
What the fuck?

Why?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 1:00 AM
Here we stAy

Yeah, there's not enough news from these places for them to have their own threads. That's why this thread was invented. Just post whatever you have on them here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:08 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
El Dorado Hills, Fair Oaks and Carmichael aren't cities (not incorporated)

What about Elk Grove?
Elk Grove is good.
I was just combining El Dorado Hills with Folsom because of the connectedness. Your correct about Fair Oaks, Carmichael etc, that would be left to the suburban development thread then. Roseville, Folsom, Rancho and Rocklin and Davis are legit cities for the Sacramento area as this forum is called. This is called the Sacramento area forum. These cities are growing and there is more news than you know in these cities. FACT: Rancho Cordova has more office space than Sacramento. I do not think these areas should be left out just because there are people on this forum with tunnel vision. We are in this are together.
I want some more input because I do not want to create many new threads.
Maybe 3? Combining the cities with the surrounding areas?
Maybe: The City of Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Carmichael? As one thread? Its kind of like the LA forum. Different cities represented.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 4:07 AM
Hindrance to Development

If this thread was overflowing with traffic and tons of things were being posted here, I could see it, but it seems kind of redundant. They aren't "left out," so much as just consigned to one thread.

How about this: Create threads for the actual incorporated cities in the region, at least the ones big enough to have development likely to interest folks here (not much point in a City of Isleton or City of Galt thread, for instance.)

That means basically Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Roseville/Rocklin, and Folsom. Development in unincorporated areas can go in this thread.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:08 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
FACT: Rancho Cordova has more office space than Sacramento.
I don't know where you get your facts from, but Rancho Cordova is far from
having more office space than Sacramento... maybe in the CBD of downtown, but that's it.

Sacramento: 40,213,958 total office square feet.
Rancho Cordova: 13,198,823 total office square feet.

http://www.davisoffices.com/images/T...sion_Q2-08.pdf

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:39 AM
Closed account

^
That's right! Thanks, it is in Rancho VS DT Sac. Here is were I read it:

http://www.cityofranchocordova.org/Index.aspx?page=34

Thanks for all the IM's amd PM's on this! I will read them all..

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 4:25 PM
Kodachrome

I hope they turn the stalled open-air center mall back into farm land... that plan was awful.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

General Growth Properties declares bankruptcy
Sacramento Business Journal

General Growth Properties Inc., which owns major shopping centers nationwide including a long-delayed open-air center in Elk Grove, has filed for Chapter 11 federal bankruptcy protection to reorganize.

General Growth listed $29.5 billion in total assets and about $27.3 billion of debts in its bankruptcy petition, making it the largest real estate bankruptcy in U.S. history.

Chicago-based General Growth (NYSE: GGP) said in an announcement Thursday that it had sought bankruptcy protection only after being unable to refinance or extend maturing debt. The company said all day-to-day operations and business of its shopping malls would continue as usual while it reorganizes.

The Chicago-based company owns the stalled Elk Grove Promenade open-air mall project. The REIT broke ground on the 1.1 million-square-foot mall in September 2007. An opening date for the center was pushed back several times before the project stalled amid the recession and credit crisis. Planned anchors at the center include a Macy’s department store, a Barnes & Noble bookstore and a 16-screen Cinemark Theatre.

General Growth owns or manages more than 200 malls, several master-planned communities and a collection of commercial office buildings. The company had been trying to sell some of its properties

"We don’t expect any of our visitors to notice any difference in our quality of service to customers,” chief executive officer Adam Metz said in a news release. “Our tenant retailers, restaurants, movie theaters and everyone at our malls stand ready to serve you, just as we have in the past.”

The company had been struggling to pay off debt it owed since acquiring Columbia, Md.-based Rouse Co. in 2004 for $12.6 billion. It has been working on a long-term development projects in the planned community since then.

Since its decline, General Growth has made a number of management changes, such as replacing founder and current chairman John Bucksbaum, whose family is still a major investor, as CEO with Metz, and replacing its chief financial officer as well.

The company has received a $375 million financing commitment from New York-based Pershing Square Capital Management LP, which it says it will use during the Chapter 11 process. It also is seeking approval to make payments to keep its shopping centers up and running and do other functions such as pay employees.
General Growth said earlier in the year it might be forced to seek bankruptcy protection from its creditors as it struggles to refinance debt.

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...3/daily43.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 5:28 AM
Earthling

Sorry if I'm posting this to the wrong thread...

I didn't see a Natomas thread(although i though there used to be one).

Natomas midrise proves going green doesn’t have to be costly - bizjournals.com
Quote:
...From Interstate 5, Natomas Gateway’s curtain wall is striking. The building has curved glass walls similar to the other two smaller buildings in the business park.

“That’s where the curvatures of the building come from,” Owyang said. The new building extends that design feature, but adds three-dimensional elements to show layering and texture, highlighted with LED fixtures.

“At night, you’ll be able to see bands of light accentuating the architecture.”

The general contractor on the project is impressed by the sweeping views from the top floors of the building.

“When you go upstairs, the views of downtown Sacramento are just amazing,” said Dave Higgins Jr., president of HMH Builders. “Because of the position of the high-rise, you’re able to step back, in a way, from downtown and view it. There’s a greenbelt, and you’re looking back at the downtown area and the freeway. It’s very striking.”...
I'm not sure why they posted a rendering, when it sounds like it's more ore less built, if the upstairs views of DT are amazing. Anyway, I felt the article worth a post here, and here's the pics as well:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area