HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredstrom View Post
The Sioux Falls Business Journal did a nice story on the similarities between Fargo and Sioux Falls. Great things to say about both. They really are twin cities 350 miles apart. Thought you all would be interested.

http://siouxfallsbusinessjournal.arg...irror-homes-29
Fargo does not waste an inch of space. Fargo is much more compact because it allows businesses to build right next to sidewalks (which makes it hard to expand streets, but that's for another time).
Cities with similar populations such as Sioux Falls are much more spread out. Next time your in such a city, time yourself how long it takes to get across town. In Fargo/Moorhead, you can pretty much get anywhere you need to within 20 minutes (give or take 5).

Fargo actually has a true downtown or at the very least it has that feel to it and its only going to heighten if and when the Kilbourne Group builds that proposed tower...just imagine what that downtown would be like if those goofballs back in the 50's, or whenever it may have been, had I-94 run through downtown...or if Fargo would have built their downtown around I-94, whoever is to blame, it sure wouldn't hurt to have that traffic running through those businesses.

One thing Fargo needs to do or stop doing is giving out so many permits for apartment buildings. We may be a college town but I know for a fact all those apartment units are not being filled at such a rate that we need a new building to go up every month and I don't think I'm exaggerating here. It just cheapens the look of Fargo and it doesn't show any sense of permanency. Since we are indeed on the subject of mirroring cities, maybe we are shooting for something bigger like a major city because in 20 years Fargo will look like the projects...

With all that said, I still vote for Fargo because like TallBob stated, it does feel more urban, nobody can top the Bison, and after all, it is home.

Last edited by Tony Almeida; Mar 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:33 PM
still here

As of last summer, the vacancy rate for apartments in Fargo was around 2% while the number of units being built increased substantially. So there is definitely a demand for these apartments no matter how cheap they make the city look. I do agree that perhaps the building design standards for apartment buildings could be looked at to make all the buildings more attractive.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 10:05 PM

Agreed, the Fargo metro area may need all of the apartments, however they don't all need to look exactly the same. If anyone has driven by the future Sanford campus, it looks like work is really starting to take off. 2 soon to be 3 massive cranes are in place. There is the start of the central tower/foundation that can be seen growing every day. That area of town is about to explode with activity. Which brings us back to the apartment conversation. All those workers, which will be in the hundreds if not more will need somewhere to live for the couple of years it takes to finish the hospital. It was also just announced that the FM metro area was the 4th fastest growing metro in the country last year. Gaining a little over 6000 people.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:48 AM

Kilbourne Tower

Discovered this site about a week ago...took forever to read the last 143 pages. Is there any new info on the Kilbourne tower project? I haven't seen any updates since Sept of '13. If this gets cancelled I'm gonna be hella pissed!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocketsauce View Post
Discovered this site about a week ago...took forever to read the last 143 pages. Is there any new info on the Kilbourne tower project? I haven't seen any updates since Sept of '13. If this gets cancelled I'm gonna be hella pissed!

I hear you on this one...I too will be upset if they cancel this project!

This may be old news but rumors are that they are thinking smaller now since they cannot find that last main tenant...dropping the building a few stories and below 300 ft.

Not happy.

I got nothing else.
Anybody else know anything?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:04 AM

I hope they don't reduce the height! I just emailed the Kilbourne group looking to find out more details about this project, I'll post their reply. I'm curious why Scheels hasn't been brought up as a main tenant, their name is plastered over a lot of crap around town.

I've heard that they are waiting for the city to agree on when and where they are building the new city hall, new parking ramp, possible convention center, and flood walls. I believe the Kilbourne group may want to wait so everything can be built at once to give downtown a super-boost.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 9:57 AM

Scheels might have been an option before they built that massive store on 45th...they spent too much on the adjoining corporate office just to abandon it now.

So I am assuming US Bank and Blue Cross Blue Shield are out?

I can't wait to hear your response from the Kilbourne Group.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:29 AM

FARGO, N.D. — The newly announced Drekker Brewing Co. has chosen a location for its brewery and taproom. The company will be setting up operations in the Cityscapes Plaza Building at 630 1st Avenue North in downtown Fargo.

“We couldn’t be more excited about our location. We’re planning some really fun things for the brewery and taproom, all within the heart of downtown Fargo,” explains Mark Bjornstad, Co-founder and President of Drekker Brewing.

Customers will be able to enjoy flights and pints at the taproom, take a tour of the brewery, and bring home growlers of their favorite brews. Head brewer, Darin Montplaisir, explains taprooms are a growing trend in craft brewing and offer a unique customer experience.

“People will be able to hang out and enjoy the freshest beer possible, see how it’s made and talk to the people who crafted it while taking in the

sights, sounds and smells of the brewery,” said Montplaisir.

Construction on the brewery will begin this spring, with a grand opening planned for the fall of 2014. Drekker will be brewing on a 10-barrel brewhouse custom made for the company by Bennett Forgeworks in Colorado. The beer will be fermented and conditioned in American-made tanks by Portland Kettle Works in Oregon.

The brewing company will have the initial ability to produce roughly 1,000 barrels of beer, or 2,000 kegs a year.

For updates about the progress and offerings from Drekker visit their website at: www.drekkerbrewing.com and follow along on Facebook and Twitter.

^^^
This will be cool

Last edited by SirRocketsauce; Apr 26, 2014 at 1:34 AM. Reason: fat thumbs on a smartphone=horrible spelling

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 12:08 PM

Hello winnipegger here. I am currently at fargo right now. Nice place. I visited the downtown and I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure if you have heard of the exchange district but that is exactly what fargo resembles. Heritage buildings.
No offence but it wasn't lively at all. I went yesterday evening and I only saw like 5 people while I was at the area. I think This city should be on the radar more. Well that is all I can say about downtown

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:24 PM
still here

I think you can chalk up the liveliness issue to it being rainy, cold, and a sunday evening. Many of the businesses downtown are not even open on sundays.

I'm a big fan of the exchange district up there in winnipeg so thank you for that compliment.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Hello winnipegger here. I am currently at fargo right now. Nice place. I visited the downtown and I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure if you have heard of the exchange district but that is exactly what fargo resembles. Heritage buildings.
No offence but it wasn't lively at all. I went yesterday evening and I only saw like 5 people while I was at the area. I think This city should be on the radar more. Well that is all I can say about downtown
Ha, yeah, it's pretty dead on a Sunday evening. Try a Friday or Saturday evening and there will be tons of activity. Heck, Saturday afternoon with sun can be pretty busy too. I live downtown and was out and about this past Saturday and saw a few dozen people after just walking a block or two.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM

It's to bad that I didn't have a camera with me or otherwise I would show it off to a few winnipeggers.
Anyways it seems like downtown Fargo is basically 90% heritage buildings. From now on I'm going to start checking development in this area because it's so unique.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:20 PM

The dakota place tower seems so intresting. I went through Fargo using I-29 and you just can't see the highrises in downtown. Is Fargo really that spread out.

Last thing. Does anyone know the population for downtown Fargo?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 2:28 PM
still here

It depends where you are on I-29, but our highrises really are really not tall and they are about 3 miles from the interstate.

As of 2010, the population of downtown was a little over 3400 people.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest View Post
I think you can chalk up the liveliness issue to it being rainy, cold, and a sunday evening. Many of the businesses downtown are not even open on sundays.

I'm a big fan of the exchange district up there in winnipeg so thank you for that compliment.
Me and my wife head down to Fargo quite often. We stayed downtown a few times and I loved it. There were days when it was busy, and others (Sunday) when it wasn't. Fargo has a very good collection of heritage buildings and very nice inner city neighbourhoods.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:46 PM

Anybody racing in any events for the Fargo Marathon?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocketsauce View Post
FARGO, N.D. — The newly announced Drekker Brewing Co. has chosen a location for its brewery and taproom. The company will be setting up operations in the Cityscapes Plaza Building at 630 1st Avenue North in downtown Fargo.

“We couldn’t be more excited about our location. We’re planning some really fun things for the brewery and taproom, all within the heart of downtown Fargo,” explains Mark Bjornstad, Co-founder and President of Drekker Brewing.

Customers will be able to enjoy flights and pints at the taproom, take a tour of the brewery, and bring home growlers of their favorite brews. Head brewer, Darin Montplaisir, explains taprooms are a growing trend in craft brewing and offer a unique customer experience.

“People will be able to hang out and enjoy the freshest beer possible, see how it’s made and talk to the people who crafted it while taking in the

sights, sounds and smells of the brewery,” said Montplaisir.

Construction on the brewery will begin this spring, with a grand opening planned for the fall of 2014. Drekker will be brewing on a 10-barrel brewhouse custom made for the company by Bennett Forgeworks in Colorado. The beer will be fermented and conditioned in American-made tanks by Portland Kettle Works in Oregon.

The brewing company will have the initial ability to produce roughly 1,000 barrels of beer, or 2,000 kegs a year.

For updates about the progress and offerings from Drekker visit their website at: www.drekkerbrewing.com and follow along on Facebook and Twitter.

^^^
This will be cool
This is very cool. I actually went to the same babysitter as Darin and his sister Michelle growing up. Haven't seen the name in nearly 20 years.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 9:14 AM

Sonic Update: I have yet to see dirt turned over, but the survey crews appear to be done plotting the premises

Red Robin: Nothing yet - not even a mowed plot :|

I'll let everyone know the very second both open - you'll be behind me in line

The strip mall across from Scheels on 45th is progressing nicely as well.

The roads just west of I29 and south of 52nd Ave S are looking great - I never heard what the final decision was on that new area, but to be honest it's looking a whole lot like either decent sized house lots or more 3 story apartment plots are being flagged.

The Century 10 theatre on 40th Ave S is looking like absolute crap right now, as they are remodeling the whole thing. They have ads on the windows showing the reserve-able overstuffed recliners going in - they are AMAZING seats!

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:35 AM

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschneider89 View Post
This really pleases me. I've been wondering when something will be done with that piece of land. It looks so dilapidated right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest