HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
"And yet, since such buildings are, in part, towering symbols of power and strength, and therefore important symbolic targets"

BUILDINGS ARE TARGETS: FILM AT 11!!!

who writes this shit?
The media's old and tired tricks. How will "news" sell if it does not have sensationalist bullshit?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 8:58 PM
BANNED

The Freedom Tower is only half as tall as the Al Burj they're building in Dubai (3,445 feet)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 9:19 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
The Freedom Tower is only half as tall as the Al Burj they're building in Dubai (3,445 feet)
Last time I checked, that was just a proposal.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 10:05 PM

^Yeah. . . for reasons I have yet to figure out, someone is convinced that Al-Burj is under construction. . . and has subsequently moved the thread into this sub-forum. . .

Anyhow why are there so few construction photos of Freedom Tower? I can't seem to figure out why the most symbolically important new building in the United States gets so little coverage from skyscraper enthusiasts. . .

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 10:17 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Anyhow why are there so few construction photos of Freedom Tower? I can't seem to figure out why the most symbolically important new building in the United States gets so little coverage from skyscraper enthusiasts. . .

Because there is not much to see at this time. I see the site almost everyday, and unless you really look for key things, it looks no different than the previous day.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 11:37 PM
Frigidus Maximus

NY1 Exclusive: Work At WTC Site Progressing Well
www.ny1.com

Comparing work at the World Trade Center site to building five Empire State Buildings at once, the head of the Port Authority says the agency is making progress that can't come fast enough. NY1's Amanda Farinacci got an exclusive tour of work at the site and filed the following report.

After years of delay and false starts, work at the 16-acre World Trade Center site is finally moving full steam ahead -- with simultaneous construction on the office towers, the memorial, the Freedom Tower, and the transit hub.

"The site has to be organized like a dance, almost," said Port Authority Director Anthony Shorris.
"I'm working here today, you're working here tomorrow, because the wall on this side may be the Freedom Tower and on that side is the memorial, so the orchestration of all those players is extremely complicated."

Each of the towers will be built up from eight stories below ground, so the bulk of the work going on right now is excavation work. Official say it will be done soon so that site developer Larry Silverstein can begin construction on his three towers at the site in the coming weeks.

"Now it's time to stop talking and start building," said Shorris.

Currently, there are about 700 workers on site, and by summer, there will be nearly 2,000. Next week, the so-called "survivor staircase" will be moved off site. The plan is to bring it back, placing it at the entrance of the memorial museum.

Metal bars that hold back the slurry wall are covered by a blue protective tarp to preserve the original wall of the Trade Center bathtub. Shorris says the progress can't happen fast enough.

"I think the challenge has really been recognizing that the pent up expectation that we all have, after five years, we finally said 'okay, it's done, let's start building,'" he said. "You want it to be done, and, you can see, this doesn't happen overnight."

The Port Authority expects to close the temporary PATH station on Church Street and open a new one on Vesey Street sometime in April , paving the way for the permanent Calatrava terminal to be built sometime in 2011.

- Amanda Farinacci

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 11:55 PM
World Machine

This is all what I like to hear. Progress will only continue to boom.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 12:37 AM

I can't believe how realistic those renderings are! It will stun everyone when it is finished being built.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 7:21 AM

Quote:
^Yeah. . . for reasons I have yet to figure out, someone is convinced that Al-Burj is under construction. . . and has subsequently moved the thread into this sub-forum. . .

Because most New York skyscraper enthusiasts are over at WNY, and besides the FT is often quite difficult to get a good shot of. Having kept almost daily progress of its construction in 2006, I know pretty much every spot where you can get a glimpse, and there are barely any at all. Things should get much easier once it rises over street level.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillylover906 View Post
I can't believe how realistic those renderings are! It will stun everyone when it is finished being built.
Wait till you see the lobby. I was tripping out like an acid freak when I saw how the mockup refracted light into different colors, and I didn't even smoke back then.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 8:22 AM
Up Up and Away

I can't wait until the tower begins to rise.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It'll probably gain more interest and attention when the steel starts to rise above the streets.

At least there is no indication or sign of any work stoppage or slowdown. The were a lott of photos taken of the site at one time.

Last edited by Daquan13; Feb 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 9:02 PM

Seems like this one is never going to rise. Has to be the slowest projects ever. That title on that article WTC progressing well is almost laughable. Maybe well is considered slow. Was it just me or did burj dubai have the same start date or maybe before.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
No easy access to the site. Most shots are from overhead. Before construction began, the site was more open. When the tower begins to rise above street level later this year, you won't have a shortage of pics.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Because most New York skyscraper enthusiasts are over at WNY,
Not accurate (as you know, wired new york is not a skyscraper forum), but that's not what he meant. The question was directed at the NY skyscraper enthusiasts on this site. And there are enough here to get pics.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by androo3 View Post
Seems like this one is never going to rise. Has to be the slowest projects ever. That title on that article WTC progressing well is almost laughable.
Only to the uninformed.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Another look at the memorial and footprints...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:11 AM

Very nice!! What is the building directly east of the freedom tower going to be exactly?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
Resident Jackass

is there significance to the number of trees?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:34 AM
Cleared for takeoff

^That looks amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive