HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04182008...ity_106987.htm

TRASHY WTC SECURITY
HOMELESS GUY FINDS KEY PLAN IN A CAN

PRINTS & THE PAUPER: Mike Fleming, who lives on the streets, yesterday holds up the confidential, floor-by-floor schematics of the Freedom Tower that he stumbled upon in this trash basket.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04182008...ter_107015.htm

PA NEWS BLACKOUT DOWNRIGHT SINISTER

April 18, 2008

ON behalf of all Ground Zero-watchers, I'd like to thank the Port Authority for opening a new information portal to the public.

The detailed Freedom Tower floor plans left in a city garbage can might be six months old, but they're more reliable than most of what passes for "news" out of the agency.

Maybe we didn't need to know that letters for the "Freedom Tower" sign are to be "fabricated from 1/16-inch- thick stainless-steel faces, cleanly welded to each other."

But it's good to know that somewhere deep inside the Kremlin-like PA, somebody has a handle on this "iconic" project. Of all the parties involved in rebuilding the World Trade Center site, the PA is the worst at sharing any reliable information.

It claimed, right up to the last minute, that it would finish work on the "bathtub" by Jan. 1 so Larry Silverstein could start building new office towers; but it took six weeks longer.

It continues to fudge the truth about the new PATH terminal - when it will be finished, what it will look like and what it will cost.

Maybe the PA doesn't mean to lie. But its politically appointed leaders often don't know themselves what's going on.

Despite alleged control by two governors, the PA is really run by an entrenched bunch of bureaucrats and engineers. They view the chairman and executive director as political hacks to be humored for as long as they last in the job.

Since 9/11, I've seen time and again how out of touch top PA officials are with Ground Zero rebuilding.

A few months back, outgoing director Tony Shorris couldn't immediately tell me whether widely reported leases with two government agencies at the Freedom Tower had actually been signed - as basic a question as any - but had to check with underlings first.

The uptight PA needed a better way to communicate, and I'm glad they've found it. I'm adding the trash to my morning media fix.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:04 PM

Thumbs down

I believe those blueprints were left there deliberately. They are simply to big for someone to accidentally discard along with there regular trash.
I don't think it's terror related (they would have choosen a better drop point) but someone inside the PA wants someone on the outside to see those plans. The only question is why!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:07 PM
Baryonic Lord

Strange city.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:48 PM

Regarding the thickness of walls in the plans and planning an attack with explosives... anyone with binoculars can tell how thick the component walls/floors are heh.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:57 PM
BANNED

I'm sure nothing in those blueprints was exactly a national secret, but it's certainly another embarrassing WTC reconstruction-related snafu for New York. It's all over the Drudge Report of course, meaning it will be fodder for the radio talk shows and cable news.

(BTW: Something tells me Bill Doyle lives in Connecticut.)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 5:06 PM
Resident Jackass

come on this is the NY Post after all.

Sensationalist bullshit.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I'm sure nothing in those blueprints was exactly a national secret, but it's certainly another embarrassing WTC reconstruction-related snafu for New York.
Right, and its not the first time Freedom Tower plans were found in the trash. Someone was just plain stupid. Whether the the plans could lead to harm or not, with all the bad WTC publicity, you have to have better sense.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2008/backstage-freedom-tower

Picture Tour: Building the Freedom Tower on Ground Zero

by Eliot Brown
April 18, 2008

Yesterday morning we took a little jaunt downtown to check out the progress of the Freedom Tower. Accompanied by some folks from the Port Authority, which is developing the tower, we took few shots from the construction site. Work is slated to rise above street level later this year.

For now, the sub-grade work seems to have a whole lot of workers installing a whole lot of cement and rebar. The site was mostly empty and the vast majority of the work has come within the last year. The Port Authority said they still are on schedule for completion in 2012.

The steel beams poking form a perimeter for the building’s edge, while the bulky concrete structure in the center is the tower’s core, holding its elevators and stairs.

A worker amid a forest of rebar

A worker at the northern wall of the site

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:06 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04182008...ter_107015.htm

PA NEWS BLACKOUT DOWNRIGHT SINISTER

April 18, 2008

Maybe we didn't need to know that letters for the "Freedom Tower" sign are to be "fabricated from 1/16-inch- thick stainless-steel faces, cleanly welded to each other."
Wow... so the building will have a giant "Freedom Tower" label. I guess the name ain't going away, after all...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 12:02 PM
:-)

3 overhead shots of the site (about one week old) posted by Tag_one on SSC:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:09 PM
Resident Jackass

great shots

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:43 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

I hope someone can capture the Pope's visit today.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 9:39 PM
Closed account

Smile Wow

I actually thought that the Chicago Spire was going to go up first. Now it SURELY looks like Freedom is going to rise quikely. By the time the Spire begins to rise, which is next year, Freedom will be way out into the sky.?? I wonder why they do things faster in New York, maybe because chicaog's bedrock is WAY deeper, IDK. Well good looking out Freedom!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrunch View Post

Already a hive of activity. They're really making progress on the Tower 2 site.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:11 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...284661775/1068

TV coalition head leads digital push

By Amanda Fung
April 24, 2008

Ten stations now transmit their signals from the Empire State; one transmits from 4 Times Square. Mr. Shapiro will use his 16 years of technology and media experience to lead the MTVA’s efforts to design and build a new antenna system at the top of the Freedom Tower, which will be the tallest structure in the city. Mr. Shapiro will also help make certain that local stations have the technology in place for the nationwide switch to digital from analog television on Feb. 19, 2009.

Mr. Shapiro’s role at EDC—helping tech and media companies expand in New York—prepared him well for the challenges at MTVA, he says. The group’s plans have been dealt setbacks by delays at the Freedom Tower, initially scheduled to be completed next year but now pushed back to 2012.

“The EDC broadened my perspective on the real estate industry and business practices in the city,” Mr. Shapiro said. Working closely with MTVA’s real estate broker, accountant and law firm, he will negotiate with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, owner of the Freedom Tower, on the lease and design of the new antennae system.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_M2118 View Post
I actually thought that the Chicago Spire was going to go up first. Now it SURELY looks like Freedom is going to rise quikely. By the time the Spire begins to rise, which is next year, Freedom will be way out into the sky.?? I wonder why they do things faster in New York, maybe because chicaog's bedrock is WAY deeper, IDK. Well good looking out Freedom!
I'd say that skyscraper construction is probably equal in pace between the cities. But Chicago's stage from proposal to the actual construction start is typically shorter because Chicago towers don't have to cross as many NIMBY hurdles along the way.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Already a hive of activity. They're really making progress on the Tower 2 site.
Looks pretty good! At least there is a stump there, starting to take shape and will be growing rather shortly.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:51 PM
Editor

Thanks for the updates! This project has moved along quite a bit since I last looked at this thread.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 8:16 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrunch View Post

Ditto NYGuy! These are the first overhead pictures I've seen of ground zero that depict visible progress.

Also, I've never seen the new plaza at 7 World Trade from that angle. It looks fantastic, the way it anchors the termination of Greenwich and West Broadway in a Flatiron-esque way, and I know that Greenwich will eventually continue south, but you know what I mean? I'd say we traded up from the originial. Delicious.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 2:26 PM

Could someone use those overhead shots and just draw an outline around the towers which are planned to be at the site? I've been to ground zero a couple of times and I find it really hard figuring out what is going where. The WTC towers must have been absolutely massive!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive