HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 12:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Don't know about all currencies but the Canada dollar is certainly doing well against the euro and the pound, it's not just the US dollar. The high currency of the euro and pound don't seem to affect travel to them much. The only travellers that low currency attracts are the same people that head to Mexico only because it's cheap, they are not premium visitors anyways. Canada will be fine with a high dollar once we learn how to operate with it, a lot of industries have been adjusting over the last 3yrs and most of them have become much more efficient in the process. Our productivity numbers are now showing that progress.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 7:30 AM
Hello World

A pretty nice video featurette about our local United Front Games studio on their upcoming ModNation Racers game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...n-racers/63467

Very cool

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Don't know about all currencies but the Canada dollar is certainly doing well against the euro and the pound, it's not just the US dollar. The high currency of the euro and pound don't seem to affect travel to them much. The only travellers that low currency attracts are the same people that head to Mexico only because it's cheap, they are not premium visitors anyways. Canada will be fine with a high dollar once we learn how to operate with it, a lot of industries have been adjusting over the last 3yrs and most of them have become much more efficient in the process. Our productivity numbers are now showing that progress.
Well, I certainly hope so. From what I've been hearing, while BCs competitive edge in the film industry is quite good, when it comes down to the bottom line dollars, BC is quite weak, especially with so many emerging film-production centres. Ontario and many other jurisdictions have much juicier tax credits. I can understand why BC does not want to play this game, but it is a tough pill to swallow when other markets are undercutting us on cost yet promising equally good product/services.

So when a production can choose between two different locations, all else being equal, they will pick the one that is lower cost.

That combined with a strong Canadian dollar, and Hollywood's persistent efforts to repatriate their productioin to California, means that our share of that market is more at risk than it has ever been.

I think Vancouver has done a reasonably good job of diversifying and bringing depth to industry services in areas such as pre- and post-production, digital effects, cgi and animation, gaming, new media, commercials/ads, independent film and documentaries, etc., but is it enough? I can't help but worry. Direct filming and production of American TV and movies are our bread-and-butter.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Well, I certainly hope so. From what I've been hearing, while BCs competitive edge in the film industry is quite good, when it comes down to the bottom line dollars, BC is quite weak, especially with so many emerging film-production centres. Ontario and many other jurisdictions have much juicier tax credits. I can understand why BC does not want to play this game, but it is a tough pill to swallow when other markets are undercutting us on cost yet promising equally good product/services.

So when a production can choose between two different locations, all else being equal, they will pick the one that is lower cost.

That combined with a strong Canadian dollar, and Hollywood's persistent efforts to repatriate their productioin to California, means that our share of that market is more at risk than it has ever been.

I think Vancouver has done a reasonably good job of diversifying and bringing depth to industry services in areas such as pre- and post-production, digital effects, cgi and animation, gaming, new media, commercials/ads, independent film and documentaries, etc., but is it enough? I can't help but worry. Direct filming and production of American TV and movies are our bread-and-butter.

There are other factors at work that draw productions to BC.

2 major factors I have gathered is the fact that BC is in the same time zone as Hollywood (a major bonus) and is a relatively short flight from Hollywood compared to Toronto and other locations. Time is money, and both of these factors make BC a more economic choice.

Not to mention the vast range in geographical features (man made and natural) in southern BC (within short distances of one and other) that allow filmmakers to easily manipulate our locations into cities and landscapes from around the world.

It would be nice though to generate a homegrown film industry instead of always relying on American Productions, but that is another topic...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:02 PM
loafing in lotusland

When your broadcasting headquarters are in Toronto, it's much harder to start a Made in Canada approach.

Apparently, according to a friend, there's more non-union work here... more union work in Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 8:07 AM

B.C.'s film, TV industry in jeopardy: critics

In other news... haha same statistics but different spin.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...l-figures.html

Quote:
B.C.'s film, TV industry in jeopardy: critics

The Twilight Saga: New Moon and Fringe helped increase B.C.'s revenue from film and TV production in 2009, the B.C. Film Commission said Thursday, but critics warned the industry's days are numbered unless the province can attract even more productions.

Revenue from film and TV projects produced in the province rose to $1.3 billion last year, up $100 million from the year before even though only 239 productions were shot in B.C. in 2009 compared with 260 in 2008, the commission said in a report.

"Today's figures represent a staggering downturn in B.C.-owned domestic production that will continue unless measures are undertaken to address this challenging situation," B.C. Producers' Branch chair Rob Bromley said in a press release.

Bromley said recent tax credit increases announced by the B.C. Liberal government did not go far enough to truly boost the industry.

That view was echoed by the provincial NDP, who said competition with Ontario is cutting into B.C.'s share of the industry.

B.C. has refused to follow the lead of Ontario by offering a tax break on all production costs, said MLA Herbert Spencer. B.C.'s tax credit covers only a production's labour costs.

"We're actually seeing B.C. companies that want to stay here move to Ontario," said Spencer.

Minister optimistic
But B.C.'s minister of tourism, culture and arts, Kevin Krueger, said the advantages posed by B.C. will continue to attract foreign production companies, especially those based in California.

"They like the production facilities," Krueger said. "They like the labour peace we have. [They] like being in the same time zone."

The report said 155 of last year's productions were Canadian, most of them TV series, and 84 were foreign projects, almost half of them feature films.

Foreign feature film production totalled $641 million, up $200 million from 2008, while domestic production spending dropped $100 million to $217 million.

Besides the Twilight Saga films, other movie highlights from last year included The A-Team, Tron: Legacy and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

With files from The Canadian Press

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
In other news... haha same statistics but different spin.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...l-figures.html
2010 will be a terrible year here in the B.C. film industry. Add to the woes the increasingly high Canadian dollar and you have an industry on the ropes right now. >

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:38 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by junius View Post
2010 will be a terrible year here in the B.C. film industry. Add to the woes the increasingly high Canadian dollar and you have an industry on the ropes right now. >
Ok, I'm noticing a pattern with your posts here. I would just like to ask if you're part of the industry and where you are getting these rather pessimistic perspective of the industry. With Pixar, Digital Domain, Sony Imageworks and a number of unannounced studios coming, I say we're doing better than ever. These studios provide hundreds of jobs together and strengthen our role as a prominent player in this film industry. Reading that article, we are attracting more and more foreign films that more than compensate a decreasing (but alarming nonetheless) domestic productions.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Ok, I'm noticing a pattern with your posts here. I would just like to ask if you're part of the industry and where you are getting these rather pessimistic perspective of the industry. With Pixar, Digital Domain, Sony Imageworks and a number of unannounced studios coming, I say we're doing better than ever. These studios provide hundreds of jobs together and strengthen our role as a prominent player in this film industry. Reading that article, we are attracting more and more foreign films that more than compensate a decreasing (but alarming nonetheless) domestic productions.
I am in the business. I have been in the business since the early 90s. I am constantly speaking to a number producers and other professionals. Yesterday I spoke to an animation group who have moved much of their work to Eastern Europe. Last week with a Producer who was bidding a film that now has gone to New Orleans.

We have good talent in Vancouver but right now we are not price competitive. Our dollar needs to fall in Canada and our local costs need to come down as well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
There are other factors at work that draw productions to BC.

2 major factors I have gathered is the fact that BC is in the same time zone as Hollywood (a major bonus) and is a relatively short flight from Hollywood compared to Toronto and other locations. Time is money, and both of these factors make BC a more economic choice.

Not to mention the vast range in geographical features (man made and natural) in southern BC (within short distances of one and other) that allow filmmakers to easily manipulate our locations into cities and landscapes from around the world.

It would be nice though to generate a homegrown film industry instead of always relying on American Productions, but that is another topic...
All things being equal, most LA Producers would choose Vancouver over Toronto for the reasons set out above. The new tax credits make things more equal then they were but Toronto and Quebec still maintain some cost advantages (never mind Nova Scotia and Manitoba).

The goal should be to level the playing field within Canada. If we did that it would be about all we can do. However we still need to be more realistic about our overall cost structures in this Province. Our union rates are still too high. Meanwhile, the high dollar is really tough to manage.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:11 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by junius View Post
I am in the business. I have been in the business since the early 90s. I am constantly speaking to a number producers and other professionals. Yesterday I spoke to an animation group who have moved much of their work to Eastern Europe. Last week with a Producer who was bidding a film that now has gone to New Orleans.

We have good talent in Vancouver but right now we are not price competitive. Our dollar needs to fall in Canada and our local costs need to come down as well.
More tax credits is not the answer. It is a race to the bottom and nobody benefits from that. Nowhere in Canada can we compete with places like Eastern Europe or Asia because of the huge cost disparity between our places. Also, Ontario and Quebec are both in massive debt and honestly shouldn't be giving out incredible tax credits that doesn't help their budget. I do not want BC to go that route and eventually become unsustainable like California. Again, I point to that article posted back that foreign film investments (obviously from Hollywood) have helped grow our industry here. We're getting so much work from there that the people in LA who lost their jobs are complaining loudly about it. Of course, I don't blame them for complaining, I am simply pointing out that we're getting great investments from Hollywood. I also don't buy the whole currency fluctuation problem as I think it's exaggerated. The Canadian and US currencies have fluctuated around for many many years that many companies in Canada have learned to protect themselves from it.

I don't doubt that our domestic productions may be in more trouble than foreign productions, which I suspect might be where you're working. I haven't read much about this on the news, however.

Overall, everything points to a positive growth for BC's film industry. Our post productions have never been stronger, in fact, with the success of District 9.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:45 PM

Quote:
More tax credits is not the answer. It is a race to the bottom and nobody benefits from that. Nowhere in Canada can we compete with places like Eastern Europe or Asia because of the huge cost disparity between our places. Also, Ontario and Quebec are both in massive debt and honestly shouldn't be giving out incredible tax credits that doesn't help their budget. I do not want BC to go that route and eventually become unsustainable like California. Again, I point to that article posted back that foreign film investments (obviously from Hollywood) have helped grow our industry here. We're getting so much work from there that the people in LA who lost their jobs are complaining loudly about it. Of course, I don't blame them for complaining, I am simply pointing out that we're getting great investments from Hollywood. I also don't buy the whole currency fluctuation problem as I think it's exaggerated. The Canadian and US currencies have fluctuated around for many many years that many companies in Canada have learned to protect themselves from it.

I don't doubt that our domestic productions may be in more trouble than foreign productions, which I suspect might be where you're working. I haven't read much about this on the news, however.

Overall, everything points to a positive growth for BC's film industry. Our post productions have never been stronger, in fact, with the success of District 9.
I did not suggest more tax credits. I said our costs are too high. Our unioun agreements are too inflexible. We are not as competitive as in the past.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 6:32 PM

Fringe is apparently shooting on location at Granville street. Plenty of destruction and what not. Heres a photo of what to expect. http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2010...t-filming.html

I know there are lots of great photogs that browse this site, so maybe this is something you'll want to check out Granville in front of the movie theatre

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
Fringe is apparently shooting on location at Granville street. Plenty of destruction and what not. Heres a photo of what to expect. http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2010...t-filming.html

I know there are lots of great photogs that browse this site, so maybe this is something you'll want to check out Granville in front of the movie theatre
Cool. Thanks for the link

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 7:01 PM
Hello World

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 12:03 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
I'm still hoping that Vancouver becomes on the same status with Montreal for games.

Still we have some great devs here.

Radical (prototype), EA Canada (Sport games), Next level games (Punchout)
Rockstar Vancouver(Max Payne 3)
Also the dev in Burnaby making Dead Rising 2!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 7:29 AM
Hello World

Canada Overtakes U.K. as Third Largest Game Maker

Quote:
Canada has now topped the U.K. as the third largest videogame development community in the world. According to data from the Entertainment Software Association of Canada, roughly 14,000 people are currently employed at the over 247 game companies in Canada -- a number surpassed only by the U.S. and Japan.

GamePolitics sat down with president of the London Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) and member of the Ontario Technology Corridor (OTC) Peter White, who discussed the reasons behind the game industry boom in his part of the country.

"It's really been in the last 24 months that the government brought in some more aggressive tax incentives," White told GamePolitics, claiming that the digital media-focused government hasn't required a ton of persuasion. "We're able, actually, to go out and tell the government 'Look, you're thinking of doing this, this is why this works even better' and it just helps back up their strategies around that."

White preaches that Canada -- and Ontario in particular -- offers incentives for just about everyone involved in development. The tax breaks and relatively low cost of living make it an attractive destination for developers, along with the constant flow of fresh graduates from the local universities. On the flip side, area developers are often on-hand to support students with the sort of relevant info they'd need to land a job in the industry. And, of course, any boost in awareness and employment ultimately benefits Canada.

"Canadians like to think that people know where Ontario is," explained the LEDC president. "But when you go to Europe and Asia, people know Ottawa and Toronto, but generally they don't know the rest of the detail of the geography. Even in certain parts of the U.S.. So, we thought it was a great opportunity for us to promote the entire region."
So not exactly a Vancouver thing, but Canada as a whole seems to be doing well in games now. I think combined with the previous news piece I posted, this industry is looking just a slightly bit more positive now for people in Vancouver. Hopefully we can start catching up to Montreal in this, as SpikePhanta said.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 12:42 AM

Pixar Canada studio in Vancouver to produce short films

Dylan Brown, creative director, speaks at the official opening of Pixar Animation Studios' first Canadian location, Pixar Canada, in Gastown on April 20.
Photograph by: Glenn Baglo, PNG

Mater — the toothy rust-bucket tow truck from the hit animated film Cars — will be flying straight out of Vancouver’s new Pixar Canada studio to audiences around the world.

That was the scoop at the official opening of Pixar Canada’s hip new office in Gastown on Tuesday. At the exclusive event, attended by Premier Gordon Campbell and Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, Pixar executives briefly drew the veil off “top secret” sketches of a winged Mater flying with his bucktoothed grin.

They wouldn’t allow photos of the sketches but confirmed that Mater will star in the new studio’s first production, with film work starting in August.

Dylan Brown, Pixar Canada’s creative director, said putting popular “legacy” characters like Mater, or Toy Story’s Buzz Lightyear, in funny new situations is the exclusive role of the new studio, a satellite of award-winning Hollywood animation studio Pixar.

Pixar Canada will create three- to five-minute short films to be seen on cable and possibly aired before feature films.

The studio also revealed a few of the Canadian-content tricks up its sleeve with clips of Pixar characters frolicking in iconic Vancouver locales.

http://www.theprovince.com/entertain...589/story.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 2:05 AM

Reese Witherspoon teams with Vancouver film company to make movie about the Reena Virk murder

By JOHN MACKIE, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER -- Vancouver’s Brightlight Pictures is teaming with Reese Witherspoon’s production company to bring the story of Reena Virk’s infamous murder to the big screen.

Brightlight, Witherspoon’s Type A Films and Toronto’s Rhomb Media announced Tuesday they will partner on Under The Bridge, a film based on Rebecca Godfrey’s award-winning book about the Virk case.

Virk, 14, was accosted by a group of teens who beat and drowned her on Nov, 14, 1997 near Craigflower Bridge in Saanich.

Witherspoon’s company took an option on the film rights to Godfrey’s book in 2007. Shawn Williamson of Brightlight said he first met with Witherspoon and her producing partner Jennifer Simpson about the project a couple years ago.

“It seemed like a slam dunk at the time, making it Canadian,” he said. “Now with the combination of us and Rhomb, it finally happened.”

Williamson said the story “is compelling” and Godfrey’s book “is brilliant.”

“Her research is impeccable,” he said. “She spent years getting inside, getting to know all the kids around it, the families, and certainly the court side of it.

“Much of what we’re going to focus on is what happened after the incident, and how it went through the courts. [We’ll] try to tell the story in a very careful, tasteful manner, because this is such a personal, difficult situation.”

Williamson said Witherspoon and Simpson are “incredibly passionate about the whole issue of violence and bullying in school, specifically with women. It’s a story that’s been very close to their heart.”

At present Witherspoon’s involvement will be as a producer, but Williamson said “there’s discussion [of] her acting in it.”

“We need to figure out the script first, to see if there’s a role that would make sense for her,” he said.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...954/story.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 5:59 PM

Vancouver will host the first ever Canadian Video Game awards. Tickets are available for purchase and we the public can also vote on game of the year.

http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2010...vancouver.html

Is it true that we are the mecca of video games as the article suggests. I know MTL has ubisoft and we got EA but from there I'm lost. ALL I know is Tdot ain't got shit on both Van and MTL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy