HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourOdeon View Post
I am also looking to upgrade my studio condo in downtown to a 2-bedroom as I just got engaged... I cant decide between Lonsdale Quay and Brentwood. Some thigs that are important to me are:
- connectivity to downtown via transit
- proximity to a public elementary school
- proximity to a public park for walking my dog
- safe area

The only thing is that my fiancee works in New Westminster, and driving from North Van to New Westminster might be a nightmare for her. I have no problem taking the seabus to work in Downtown. But I sure do love the view of the water from Lonsdale Quay.
RiverSky might be something to consider. It's in New West so her travel will be minimal. You've got the skytrain on one side for getting downtown, and the Fraser River on the other side (admittedly no views of downtown Van). Pier Park is nearby and there's a couple of elementary schools (admittedly maybe not within a short walking distance). Plus it's been cleaned up a lot compared to ye olde days so it's a fairly safe area.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I cannot figure out how much indoor living space this one suite has. How does one interpret the following MLS data when the suite has an outdoor balcony?

Finished Floor Area Main: 1,110 SqFt
Total Finished Floor Area: 1,110 SqFt
Unfinished Floor Area: 0
Grand Total Floor Area: 1,110 SqFt

My problem is that there is an add for a suite few floors down that looks in pictures identical, but is said to be only 958 SqFt. Could this place we including the outdoor balcony in total or can a MLS listing information be trusted to the letter?

The suite has a very good layout and we think we could fit in despite having to downsize quite a bit. I just cannot be it would be 958 SqFt in the context of other places we have seen in the same SqFt ballpack. I am confused on what to trust.
The size is what the realtor is told it is - you have to double check it. If two places look to be the same layout, you're better off assuming it's the smaller size. Layout can make all the difference in how a place feels, despite what the sq footage might say.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:43 PM

I wouldn't care about the actual square footage as long as everything fits in the place, but I am just blown away by how spacious the layout is, be it either of the two. We have seen several places that are 1250 SqFt (and more) that we could just barely fit in, but now we would suddenly fit into something that is potentially only 960 SqFt?

That would be downsizing by almost 700 SqFt and I just cannot understand how on Earth that is possible to work (yet it seems like it could). Based on the sale price the MLS listing suggests, I am thinking 1,110 SqFt is the real figure, as nobody would pay that price for something that is under thousand SqFt. No matter that the place has the view it does have.

Damn, I so want this place...

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I am also looking to upgrade my studio condo in downtown to a 2-bedroom as I just got engaged... I cant decide between Lonsdale Quay and Brentwood. Some thigs that are important to me are:
- safe area

The only thing is that my fiancee works in New Westminster, and driving from North Van to New Westminster might be a nightmare for her. I have no problem taking the seabus to work in Downtown. But I sure do love the view of the water from Lonsdale Quay.
Due to your work locations, Brentwood should be the preferred choice.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 2:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
- safe area

Have you considered Coal Harbour? There's an elementary school there.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Have you considered Coal Harbour? There's an elementary school there.
Given the poster's implied budget and the commute to New West, it's hard to imagine a less appropriate choice than the overpriced condos of Coal Harbour. Not to mention many feature horrendous maintenance fees.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 4:19 AM

Quote:
- safe area

Brentwood is just horrid. It's a huge drop off in lifestyle in exchange for a more central location. Not worth it imo. Everybody has different priorities, but a neighbourhood that draws you out after work or on the week-ends is far more valuable than a convenient location. Brentwood has no identity, and even with a hundred more clone towers, it will still have no identity.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Brentwood is just horrid. It's a huge drop off in lifestyle in exchange for a more central location. Not worth it imo. Everybody has different priorities, but a neighbourhood that draws you out after work or on the week-ends is far more valuable than a convenient location. Brentwood has no identity, and even with a hundred more clone towers, it will still have no identity.
I think Brentwood has potential. If all the public space gets built out (and it does not get taken over by large corporate chains) it has the potential to become a great neighborhood. Just now it is hard to know how it will turn out.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:05 PM

there is a petition going around facebook to ask the government to start a speculation tax so houseflipping is less attractive in Vancouver

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
there is a petition going around facebook to ask the government to start a speculation tax so houseflipping is less attractive in Vancouver
Good, as this is sick.

Quote:
West Vancouver is the Flip City of real estate, its prices maddest in the mad Vancouver area — which is yoked with London and Manhattan for the priciest property on the planet.

Last Saturday’s Sun — anyone who doesn’t read at least one Vancouver daily is badly under-informed — listed 23 West Van flipped property prices that would knock your proverbial socks off. Example: 910 Braeside St., sold April 7 for $2,098,000, listed six days later for half a million higher.

The champ: A bare lot at 1424 Sandhurst Place, sold a year ago for $3.7 million, listed last month for $6.18 million. (In April a typical detached West Van home sold for $2.23 million.)
- See more at: http://www.nsnews.com/opinion/column....BgX5s7wu.dpuf

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
RiverSky might be something to consider. It's in New West so her travel will be minimal. You've got the skytrain on one side for getting downtown, and the Fraser River on the other side (admittedly no views of downtown Van). Pier Park is nearby and there's a couple of elementary schools (admittedly maybe not within a short walking distance). Plus it's been cleaned up a lot compared to ye olde days so it's a fairly safe area.
New West is not a very safe place, you know. My ideal neighborhood is where I can walk my kid to his/her elementary school without feeling worried all day.

P.S. I have recently checked out Solo District, Aviara (definitely no) and Motif. Need to spare time this weekend to check out what's good in Lonsdale Quay, any recommendation on which buildings to consider?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
New West is not a very safe place, you know. My ideal neighborhood is where I can walk my kid to his/her elementary school without feeling worried all day.

P.S. I have recently checked out Solo District, Aviara (definitely no) and Motif. Need to spare time this weekend to check out what's good in Lonsdale Quay, any recommendation on which buildings to consider?
If its not too intrusive, can you give us an idea of your budget?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 12:53 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:

For Lower Lonsdale, if you want new, Wallace and McDowell, The Anchor. If you don't mind something a bit older, in the area surrounded by Chesterfield/Lonsdale/Esplanade/2nd is the prime spot.

Consider Central Lonsdale too. I moved to the area so my wife could feel safe in the dark myself. It's more family-oriented up there - LoLo is more a young yuppie scene.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 2:08 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
It's very safe. Much, much better than 10, even 5 years ago. I lived there for 2 years between 2009 and 2011. The place is primed for prices to keep climbing.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
It's very safe. Much, much better than 10, even 5 years ago. I lived there for 2 years between 2009 and 2011. The place is primed for prices to keep climbing.
Tell me about it... Like I said, my fiancée works in New West, so I know the area quite well too. I cant say that its high crime, but definitely a lot of low-income people are residing in the area. Its also too close from Surrey and the patullo bridge. When taking the Expo line from New West, you will bump into a lot of weird people. The retirees also look really poor compared to retirees residing in North Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:33 PM

Having been looking at condos lately, I can't imagine how people live in the glass towers without air conditioning. One unit I saw at 11 am was already up to 29! Unbearable. I can see why more new housing is being built with A/C.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 11:15 PM

Seems that Squamish is also doing well and I guess many plan on commuting to Vancouver? On my way to Whistler on Sunday I took note of lots of development being prepared at the northern end of town.

Quote:
Vancitybyzz: 65-unit Squamish condo development sells out in 90 minutes

The Lower Mainland’s real estate craze seems to have extended to Squamish, a mountain town in the midst of a major transformation.

Earlier this month, in a span of just 90 minutes, a 65-unit, four-storey-tall wood frame development with prices ranging from $167,900 to $449,900 per unit was completely sold out – and even then, there were still plenty of people still waiting in line for a chance to purchase a home.

According to Mario Gomes and Michael Henson, the developers for the ParkHouse project at the corner of Eaglewind Boulevard and Bailey Street in downtown Squamish, the reaction and crowds at the start of sales at the sales centre completely caught them off guard.

“We knew we were going to have a good day, but we never expected to be sold out in a day in only 90 minutes,” Gomes told Vancity Buzz. “We had some appointments booked between 12 p.m. to 2 p.m., and people that didn’t have an appointment began to show up.”

“By 1:30 p.m. we were already sold out, so people that were standing outside waiting didn’t even have a chance to come in.”
In contrast, detached house prices in Squamish reached a benchmark of $620,400 this year, a 13.5 per cent increase over 2015. As well, apartments have reached $293,000, up 12.6 per cent over the same period during the previous year.

For the town of 17,000 people, this is merely the beginning of a new era of economic development. A century ago, sawmills and port activities were the driver’s the Squamish’s economic activity, but over the next 20 years a major residential development coupled with population growth will become the new driver of the town’s economic activity.

In 2014, the District of Squamish approved a proposal to redevelop 59 acres of former industrial land on the waterfront right next to downtown. The new community, dubbed Squamish Oceanfront by developers, will include 1,1000 residential units for 5,000 people. Amenities include park space, a marina, cultural spaces, and educational spaces for a post-secondary institution.

More developments will likely be proposed for Squamish in the coming years.

I also didn't know that Squamish has such a plan for their Downtown. Long way to go, but would be fantastic.
I have some troubles putting this masterplan on map, though. Where exactly would this be at?

vancitybuzz.com

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 11:17 PM
ON3P Skis

The beach/park area in the bottom left hand corner of that wildly optimistic rendering is directly east of Squamish Terminals. It is the south end of Galbraith Avenue/Loggers lane and the area is also known as Nexen beach.

Currently the site is completely vacant.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:47 AM

Good for Squamish. For me though it has the same problem as North Vancouver. It rains way too much in Squamish. I think lots of people forget to look at weather patterns as they vary allot in our region from place to place. For example Squamish gets 3 times the rain as say Tsawwassen and way les sunshine hours. For me personally sunshine hours are key given the fact we live on the 49th parallel. Weather is literally the first thing I look at, and as a result there is no way I would ever live in Squamish or the north shore.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 8:15 PM

Moved from "General Vancouver Updates"

Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I agree, it is actually amazing to me how many intelligent posters here do not believe the laws of supply and demand apply to Vancouver. That said it is quite possible (likely even) the amount of extra supply we are constructing is not enough to prevent prices from rising....but obviously the new supply is at least reducing the amount prices rise.
But because of their construction, high-rise condo prices are rising way slower than SFHs, making it a relatively more affordable alternative. Without them, the majority of us would be driven to the burbs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy