HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It's a type-o.

The submitted documents show the height at 161M (264M ASL) on the elevations.
That makes much more sense.

So, this is the third confirmed and potentially 4th tower over 150 metres in the Burquitlam area.

I always enjoy seeing such height (and getting an official number) but would be nice to see some of these taller towers going up in downtown Coquitlam.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:08 AM

These will be way more visible in Burquitlam than Coquitlam Centre area. A much better area to live too, closer to everything. Cool to see my area changing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:59 PM

Looks like they're proposing a considerable road network upgrade for the Coquitlam Inn site. I can't imagine that they'd be able to get away without putting a full intersection up where the road would meet Lougheed. It's probably a bit overdue at this point with the busy ICBC/Joey's/etc parking lot next door.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:47 AM

Joeys is moving into that new development. They really do need to redo some of the intersections on north road, there are so many lights and traffic often blocks the intersections. I imagine most of those little strip malls will be getting redeveloped as well in the near future. I think the plaza where hmart is getting redeveloped soon too.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:40 AM

Yeah Anthem also owns the strip mall with the Joey that will be moving. That site will see at least two more towers in a future rezoning.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:22 PM

Oh wow. Burquitlam is getting some serious height! I hope this will help put back 70-storey tower plans in Lougheed Centre!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Where Vancouver policies definitely fail though are the height / density restrictions imposed around their transit hubs.

The tallest towers in our entire metro theoretically should exist / be built around Waterfront, Granville - VCC, Commercial - Broadway, and the future Cambie - Broadway Hub. Furthermore the remainder of Broadway should be built to heights at least tpvthose seen in Yaletown.

Commercial - Broadway and Cambie - Broadway are especially embarrassing / neutered by pointless height restrictions.
You've nailed it again, Metro. This is the one major component of the whole Metro Vancouver, "Livable Region" plan,
whatever it's called, that truly gets no more than a C- or maybe even D on its report card, for blowing it and losing height/building space opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Oh wow. Burquitlam is getting some serious height! I hope this will help put back 70-storey tower plans in Lougheed Centre!
70 is still completely possible. The other towers are not designed or settled as far as height/massing go.

I bet we'll see in the low 60s on the tallest corner of Lougheed, not quite 70, but that's just a guess.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 10:27 PM

It's interesting how many 50-storey towers are proposed in far-flung areas such as Lougheed and Burquitlam, when it's not yet common height even in more mature neighborhoods such as Brentwood, Metrotown or even Downtown. Crazy.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:01 AM

If only these massive vertical neighborhoods would also have jobs. Now most people will be commuting, adding to the traditional rush hour pattern towards the Downtown. I would like to consider living in these areas, but commuting time to where most of the jobs in my sector are, is going to be too long. Too bad that only retail goes into suburbs and no office jobs.

With all this development, North Road needs to be upgraded to 3+3 lanes. Already now there is no traffic light flow (unknown to Metro Vancouver) and one needs to stop at every single light.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:27 AM

I'd love to see more commercial space in the area for sure, but as long as Burquitlam remains a relatively affordable area, a huge chunk of the residents are going to be students and retail or industrial workers who are commuting throughout the region instead of just clogging the downtown routes.

North Road could absolutely use better light timing/synchronization, but I don't think I'd want to see it 3+3 all the way through. Would hurt the walkability of the area and induced demand would probably negate any benefits. A better street grid that doesn't funnel everyone up North Road would be better, but that's going to take time as the huge blocks get broken down.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:54 AM

I hope that is the type of people moving into these developments but I have been surprised to see new units in the area asking Burnaby and low-end Downtown level rents. Those are not really affordable anymore.

I don't think adding two lanes would induce any demand but adding 20 000 new residents certainly will. North Road will be an idling parking lot even with the Skytrain, which will be a sardine can unless train lengths are soon increased.

More people requires more infrastructure just to maintain today's (poor) service levels. We are seeing minimal infrastructure investments, meaning that the service levels are dropping fast. Round the clock congestion is here to stay.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
If only these massive vertical neighborhoods would also have jobs. Now most people will be commuting, adding to the traditional rush hour pattern towards the Downtown. I would like to consider living in these areas, but commuting time to where most of the jobs in my sector are, is going to be too long. Too bad that only retail goes into suburbs and no office jobs.
Office type jobs are hard to come by, Coquitlam has been trying to attract them for years (to 'downtown' Coquitlam primarily) with little success. What is more frustrating to me is in the rare places where there ARE plenty of office jobs, but no rezoning of surrounding areas to permit people to live nearby (e.g. Renfrew station).

But like invisible says, I'd guess the new residents in Burquitlam area will be headed all over the place, not primarily to downtown, and at least they are right on a (underused) transit line, so that will limit the traffic impacts.

The city (Coquitlam at least) is trying to improve the woeful street grid as part of various developments, but it is so bad (being on the boundary of two cities doesn't help) that I can't see real relief for North road ever becoming much of a reality on that front, happy to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:08 AM

Coquitlam has a shared workspace office in the centre area, it looks quite popular.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Coquitlam has a shared workspace office in the centre area, it looks quite popular.
Yes, the office building at Suter Brook (opened 2016 - they *are* adding office jobs at the Evergreen stations, but it is slow and relatively small to date) is mostly shared space as well and also popular - seems like that is where the commercial market is in the burbs for now, not many big firms, but a certain volume of small ones.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 4:31 AM

most of the old buildings are gone now where Hensley will be

2018-07-16_09-21-00 by snub_you, on Flickr

2018-07-16_09-21-20 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 4:34 AM

Capital to the right, cranes for Lougheed Heights to the left

2018-07-16_09-21-56 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 2:38 AM

Rezoning application and details for Townline's 38-storey project at Clarke and Cottonwood in Burquitlam: http://www.coquitlam.ca/docs/default...nts/item-7.pdf

And LedMac's 50-storey tower next door to the north: http://www.coquitlam.ca/docs/default...nts/item-8.pdf

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:40 PM

Burquitlam Capital

By City of Rain July 22nd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1360089, member: 70034
IMG_0908 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

IMG_0911 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

IMG_0913 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

IMG_0923 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 8:14 PM

Whyyy did they have to ruin an otherwise consistent design with that one element of white spandrel on the north facade of the tower? What a shame. Totally unnecessary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley