HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That must be what that odd floating steel structure is for indicated in the second render.
Yeah, really odd representation.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Ahh fair enough, thanks for the info. I was never too familiar with New West, even when I lived in Van. Is there any reason to try to make more of the lane fronting the railroad or is it a bit of a lost cause?
I think it's toast: as you can see by the street view, one side is bounded by the overpass and the other is the service road/loading dock for the River Market. The railway really cuts up downtown New West especially on that end where it widens out to siding yards. But really, the Quay is all about the pedestrian experience along the esplanade so it really bugs me that I haven't seen any renders of the river side of the development.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 12:57 AM

Here's why - from the website under Architecture - siteplan - there's retail with parking.

There is existing surface parking on the adjacent property for Inn at the Quay, and the office building -
that adjacent parking also looks to be elevated a few feet versus the RiverSky site.

On the Site plan - based on the small square (ventilation shaft?) at 10th St,
it looks like all the parking shown on the siteplan is existing parking and RiverSky will abut that parking area with a walkway and retail stores.

Also, note the driveway directly from McInnes Overpass.

http://bccondos.net/1000-quayside&sa=U&ei=

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...UzQW51bGwlN0Q=

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 21, 2015 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 2:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Ah that diagram is helpful.
Having pedestrian stairs / elevator from the viaduct down to the ground level is a great thing for better connectivity. Right now it's a hassle to walk from the shops at New West station to the quay on that west side.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 2:12 AM

Yeah, it looks like the driveway entry is also a pedestrian passage through the building to the waterfront side (at least the renders show lots of people walking through it).
Looks like a really short walk to Plaza 88 and SkyTrain on the other side of the overpass.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 3:51 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

That's actually really fantastic. All they'll have to do is widen the sidewalk on the overpass a little bit and make sure everything is accessible. Also, I do hope the pathway and elevators to the waterfront side will be considered public space from the very beginning, so that you can walk across without being locked out even at night, etc. Especially considering it would be an access point to the BC Parkway which is a transportation corridor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:31 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I'd expect that it's a public amenity, like the stairs / elevator connected to the dunsmuir viaduct at Spectrum/Costco, etc.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Yeah, imagine buying a low floored, north facing unit, just based on the illustration. "They didn't say anything about a train yard, viaduct, sketchy dilapidated area near a lane, view of a blank wall of a mall with a busy road and skytrain!"
Cover that part of the railyard up and build something on top! More people can stream over to the riverfront.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:52 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Cover that part of the railyard up and build something on top! More people can stream over to the riverfront.
No! Then they might build a parkade!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I'd expect that it's a public amenity, like the stairs / elevator connected to the dunsmuir viaduct at Spectrum/Costco, etc.
It is a public amenity and was one of the selling points that helped it pass council.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 10:06 PM

construction dates

Anyone know when they are going to start digging ground?

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
Anyone know when they are going to start digging ground?
I do know that theyre gonna be closing their sales centre soon because they almost sold all the units.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:49 PM

I sit in the Westminster tower overlooking the lot and there are now groups of people walking around surveying and studying the lot every day now. They just changed the sign to "Tower 2 coming soon"

Just wanting to know when all the noise and vibrations start.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 2:36 PM

New render. Tower 1 was sold already and they will start selling tower 2 soon.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:31 PM

Hmm. An accurate depiction of the spandrel.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:20 PM

Another new render. You would think they would start construction soon as the first tower was sold in no time.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 10:27 PM

There's some sort of pile driving crane over there, so I would think *something* should start soon. I'll drop a post if I notice any digging.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 10:29 PM

Can that area or the waterfront in general accommodate any more future towers? Is there enough space next to the Skytrain guideway?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 10:49 PM

Quayside the more residential feel with towers is largely fully built out as the train yard sits to the north and water to the south.

Between the pier and the park on the waterfront two towers are going up, and then across the tracks Plaza 88 is adding a fourth tower (they also own the lot on Columbia and 8th)

Other than that New West DT is going to be built out either by obtaining commercial lots, or older heritage buildings ala Trapp and Holbrook

I see a lot of potential in 12th st. a lot of large lots and older commercial stock.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 1:17 AM

Are they driving cement pilings into the Fraser to get towers right on the waterfront? Look at the Pier Park (that they built out over the river) and then look where those towers next to it (in the parking lot) will be. Even Riversky isn't going to be set that far back.

I hope New West decides to at least catch up to a few decades ago and starts builting 3 - 4 story buildings along some of the main streets. If you look at it in google maps and tilt the view, you see that most of New West is covered in 'groundscrapers'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley