HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
The thing is, it is physically impossible to build HSR on coast from Laguna Niguel to San Onofre and from Solana Beach to San Diego without massive tunneling, so there isn't much of an advantage to routing through South OC over LA-Anaheim-Corona-Temecula-Esocondido-San Diego. Routing all the way through Riverside/San Bernardino is just stupid, however.
Is the coastal route physically impossible due to geographical features or NIMBYs?

The preferred inland -- 15 freeway corridor -- for CAHSR consists of major physical hurdles. I don't know what the exact route is, but the drive from Temecula to Escondido is steep and mountainous, more so than the coastal route.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:24 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Is the coastal route physically impossible due to geographical features or NIMBYs?

The preferred inland -- 15 freeway corridor -- for CAHSR consists of major physical hurdles. I don't know what the exact route is, but the drive from Temecula to Escondido is steep and mountainous, more so than the coastal route.
The heart of the issue is that the existing path for rail runs very closely to the coastline through much of the SD Area, meaning that in certain areas it is passing by multi-million dollar homes and views. The coastal route would be easier to build in theory, but the NIMBY contingent would require significant mitigation of "visual blight" and noise, which would drive up costs and encounter significant pushback from residents. I think this should be the preferred route regardless, however, we know that isn't the plan. What isn't clear to me is if the coastal route could use freeway right-of-way instead of rail right-of-way in order to lessen the impact and cost of following the rail right-of-way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation