HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I've always thought this building looks like a museum. I don't know why. It must be the lack of windows on the lower half and metal sculptures at street level. I agree with Smuttynose, this building would look neat if floors 2-3 had windows like in floors 4-6.
Perhaps at some point it could be reused as a museum. I like the fact that there are no windows on several of the floors. I don't like how there are hardly any windows at street level.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:16 AM
Lurker

Photo: Kevin Delaney

I wouldn't mind if something happened to the Royal Wood Office Plaza.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:24 AM

Yes!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:47 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:

Photo: Kevin Delaney

I wouldn't mind if something happened to the Royal Wood Office Plaza.
That's a real possibility

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:34 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Agreed 100% Convention Hotel is my vote.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:54 AM

Quote:
I've always thought this building looks like a museum. I don't know why. It must be the lack of windows on the lower half and metal sculptures at street level. I agree with Smuttynose, this building would look neat if floors 2-3 had windows like in floors 4-6.
I like that building. I like that there are no windows on floors 2-3. It reminds me of the old SLC Library. But it ought to have windows on the first floor.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I'm not for tearing things down either, but I know this thread is hypothetical, and my nomination is easy: Tear down the goddamn Carl's Jr. that occupies a prime corner in downtown and make way for a new high-rise... Say maybe Goldman Sach's new headquarters.
Can't imagine what tourists think of our downtown when they see that forsaken Carl's Jr. I mean, really. It's as if someone playing SimCity 4 zoned for a strip of low-density commercial in the heart of high-density zoning. I'm surprised that something hasn't been done about that corner yet, to be honest. I wonder if anyone's talked to the mayor's office about this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:47 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

From what I know, the city is very well aware that the south end of that block is very underutilized. However there isn't a whole lot the Mayors office can do. It's not as if the Mayor can just say ok, Carl's Jr we think that space is underutilized it's time for you to leave, and go ahead a build a skyscraper.

I'm sure the Mayor economic development team, and I would assume the governors team too, promotes that site to companies and developers as a prime location for a new tower. As was mentioned, that was the proposed site for the WTC Utah, and it very well still could be. I would be surprised if there isn't a tower there within the next 5-10 years. One issue with the site is having to work around or reconfigure the parking structure access to the Regent St Garage. And I won't accept answer like "Just tear that garage down" That is a huge garage and will most likely be the main garage for UPAC patrons, so a reconfiguring of the south access ramp or a creative use of the south end of the block. Plus I would rather have an above ground garage be in a mid block than on a major street. Regent St can thrive, even with the garage, afterall there is retail space on the street level and a lot of things can be done to cover the ugly on the garage.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:04 PM

I don't have a specific building in mind, but I am annoyed by most any building that was built mid-block, thereby preventing us from breaking up our large blocks into evenly aligned smaller blocks. I always wish we could use eminent domain to either move them or in the case of small ugly ones, demolish them.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:07 PM

Just a little FYI-- Carl's Jr. does not own the property where it's located. It is owned by the Dee family, as in Dee's restaurants. They own a lot of property and existing retail/office developments in Sugar House, along Foothill and some properties downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just a little FYI-- Carl's Jr. does not own the property where it's located. It is owned by the Dee family, as in Dee's restaurants. They own a lot of property and existing retail/office developments in Sugar House, along Foothill and some properties downtown.
I remember the old dee's fast food joints. They became hardy's and then Carl's jr... That is my guess as to why they own that building

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I don't have a specific building in mind, but I am annoyed by most any building that was built mid-block, thereby preventing us from breaking up our large blocks into evenly aligned smaller blocks. I always wish we could use eminent domain to either move them or in the case of small ugly ones, demolish them.
Goodbye Kearns building, Tribune building, Capitol Theater, Promised Valley Playhouse, LDS Temple, Tabernacle, etc.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I remember the old dee's fast food joints. They became hardy's and then Carl's jr... That is my guess as to why they own that building
I believe Carls Jr and Hardies is the same company:

http://littletonnc.net/Hardies.htm

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:56 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It is now, it wasn't however when Hardees entered the Utah market and purchased all the Dees fast food places.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:02 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Yeah.. I'm pretty sure Hardy's was bought out... They kept the hardy's name in some eastern areas I believe.. But use the same Carl's jr star

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Speaking of Dee's why did the dee's restaurant on north temple and about 150 west close? Did the church buy the property? I know it's been closed for a while.

That photo is a dees hamburgers by the way not the restaurant

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:20 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Goodbye Kearns building, Tribune building, Capitol Theater, Promised Valley Playhouse, LDS Temple, Tabernacle, etc.
Get rid of them all.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:33 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I want to rip down the wells Fargo building and replace it with a 45 story replica of the shilo inn.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:27 AM

I would lhave like to see the Key Bank Building re-skined when they were starting to do City Creek. It would have been nice if the rest of the building matched the new base.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
That is exactly why it is so infuriating... many of the mid-block buildings are priceless which means Salt Lake may never be a truly walkable, intimate scale kind of city. Unless we raze entire blocks at a time and rebuild, any new mid-block access will probably be hap-hazard and off alignment (which means less visibility and less utilization).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West