HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 7:53 PM
Bring buildings to life

Neighbourhood crime rates

I have a question...why is the Rosscarrock neighbourhood crime rate so high compared to many neighbourhoods? Has crime came down recently at all? What would happen after the WLRT gets built?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 8:42 PM

Rosscarrock includes the entire westbrook site, as well as Ernest Manning High School, which leads to the rate being higher due to the higher rate in those particular areas (and most of the crime is theft/vandalism to vehicles). If you look at the CPS crime map on their web site you can see that in all the communities surrounding the mall (Rosscarrock, Shaganappi, Glendale, Spruce Cliff) theres a higher concentration nearer the mall. Similar situation in Hounsfield Heights/Briar Hill which includes Northhill mall.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 9:11 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, crime rates can be very, very misleading.

Much more important to consider is the *type* of crime. If an area has a lot of residential B&Es and assaults - that's usually what people worry about with a "high crime rate". A bunch of vehicle thefts because you happen to live close to a mall (or Stampede grounds, or...)? Not really a neighbourhood issue in my books.

Also misleading are things like domestic crime - not to say it's not a major concern, it is, but it's not exactly something that worries me on a personal level. You get concentrations of certain demographics that experience a lot of it (used to be bad in military housing but that may be ancient history) but it doesn't really affect you as an individual.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, crime rates can be very, very misleading.
Quite true. Having been born and raised in Winnipeg, where you avoid large sections of the inner city after sunset, I can tell you that I felt completely safe in just about every area of Calgary. Yet when I was living in Calgary, the locals were up in arms about the increase in crime. I was like "what crime?"

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Rosscarrock includes the entire westbrook site, as well as Ernest Manning High School, which leads to the rate being higher due to the higher rate in those particular areas (and most of the crime is theft/vandalism to vehicles). If you look at the CPS crime map on their web site you can see that in all the communities surrounding the mall (Rosscarrock, Shaganappi, Glendale, Spruce Cliff) theres a higher concentration nearer the mall. Similar situation in Hounsfield Heights/Briar Hill which includes Northhill mall.
Ernest manning is being moved to signal hill

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy