HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Love the blinking red beacon at the top of the spire--can probably be seen for over 50 miles on clear night. Maybe the beacon should be orange since L.A. has been called the "Big Orange"? Maybe they could even lower a "big orange" ball down the spire on New Years Eve, like the ball they lower in Times Square? Will the spire itself ever be lit up? Anybody know? Would love to see some creative lighting on the WG tower like they do on the Empire State Building--e.g. big red heart on St. Valentine's Day etc. Would also like to see more light shows on the rival supertall U.S. Bank (Library) tower. Two supertalls in DTLA with light shows, at least on special days, would be awesome! Dynamic lighting also, that moves, or would that be too distractive to freeway motorists? Moving lights are common on many new buildings in other cities. Maybe just on special occasions, like a waving American flag light projection on 4th of July?
I emailed the people twice at WG should they consider adding a calendar on their website (something similar to Empire State Building's website) where they have a calendar and you can click on any date and shows the colors that were lit on the ESB. They have yet to reply back, but keep in mind this was last month and probably ignored my email.

One thing I dislike about the lights on the WG is that there's a certain time the lights turn off. You don't see the US Bank Tower turn its lights off at 2am. Would love to see the lights on the Wilshire Grand to stay on overnight, just like US Bank Tower.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:40 AM

Is this one still under construction?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:23 AM
:o

Nope. It finished a while ago. I assume the thread is supposed to be closed or moved.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:13 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I emailed the people twice at WG should they consider adding a calendar on their website (something similar to Empire State Building's website) where they have a calendar and you can click on any date and shows the colors that were lit on the ESB. They have yet to reply back, but keep in mind this was last month and probably ignored my email.

One thing I dislike about the lights on the WG is that there's a certain time the lights turn off. You don't see the US Bank Tower turn its lights off at 2am. Would love to see the lights on the Wilshire Grand to stay on overnight, just like US Bank Tower.
Most cities turn off the lights of their signature buildings after a certain time. Wilshire Grand isn't any different.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:25 PM

I've contacted AC Martin's office twice about the lighting design failure on the spire and also submitted a letter to the Downtown News, which was published... Nothing. I hope they are in the process of figuring out what to do to remedy what is clearly a mistake (just refer to the renderings). No one in their right mind would spend that kind of money on a unnecessary spire (it's not an antennae) and not light it. I'm thinking of sending a letter to the Chairman of Korean Airlines.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:50 PM
Ω

What's wrong with the spire lighting?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:45 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
What's wrong with the spire lighting?
Sadly, for all the detail and amazing lighting put into the crown and spines...the spire was value engineered down to a couple of floodlights that dont light more than the first segment. The original design for the spire...if you look at the renders...showed holes drilled into the spire all the way down in lines...similar to the beacon segment on top. Something changed...either cost...or structural stability or something...and they added a couple of floodlights and hoped it would suffice. It doesnt.
Its the single thing i truly dont like on the tower. If they fixed it...Id say it was damned near flawless to me. More interesting than Salesforce...and not a huge glass slab of meh like Comcast's monster in Philly.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Sadly, for all the detail and amazing lighting put into the crown and spines...the spire was value engineered down to a couple of floodlights that dont light more than the first segment. The original design for the spire...if you look at the renders...showed holes drilled into the spire all the way down in lines...similar to the beacon segment on top. Something changed...either cost...or structural stability or something...and they added a couple of floodlights and hoped it would suffice. It doesnt.
Its the single thing i truly dont like on the tower. If they fixed it...Id say it was damned near flawless to me. More interesting than Salesforce...and not a huge glass slab of meh like Comcast's monster in Philly.
If only it was easy for them to install floodlights on the remaining segments that lack them.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
If only it was easy for them to install floodlights on the remaining segments that lack them.
Well I read somewhere and saw a pic on this website that workers can climb to the top of the spire via a ladder inside (spire is a hollow tube a few feet across) presumably to service the beacon. Not sure if the workers have access to the outside of the spire to install more lighting. LED series shouldn't add much weight, so weight can't be the reason. Would be a pity if they couldn't light the spire better. What is the point of a poorly lit spire? The only other possibility is to add some floodlights (multi-colored) to the crown and point them at the spire to light it better at night. Would be cool if the spire (and crown?) were lit up green for St. Pat's Day, orange for Halloween, etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 25, 2017 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:25 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Wilshire Grand by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by robb, on Flickr

dtla by robb, on Flickr

dtla Wilshire Grand by robb, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:06 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Oh snap shots fired!

Good thing i live in the Chi!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 10:56 AM
BANNED

Very nice!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 1:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Hadn't looked in on this one in a while...

RobHelfman

Rob "Shawdog" Helfman

STERLINGDAVIS

HunterKerhart.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:21 PM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Despite being from Philadelphia, I must admit that for me, Wilshire is the sexiest of the three buildings you mentioned. Just really well done - I had my doubts about the spire but even that turned out really well. Congrats!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Despite being from Philadelphia, I must admit that for me, Wilshire is the sexiest of the three buildings you mentioned. Just really well done - I had my doubts about the spire but even that turned out really well. Congrats!
Salesforce is best of the three IMO but i agree with you on the spire, plus, LA needed one of those in it's skyline. Nice fit for LA too, nice building.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:47 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

My one critique of this spire is that they could more or less swap it with theon atop the Times Tower in NYC and maybe a few would have even noticed (This one's taller I think).

In both instances, something "meatier"...or at least with one eye-catching feature would have helped.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
My one critique of this spire is that they could more or less swap it with theon atop the Times Tower in NYC and maybe a few would have even noticed (This one's taller I think).

In both instances, something "meatier"...or at least with one eye-catching feature would have helped.
Well the Angels Landing development might turn out this way.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:40 AM

Aon Center is still my favorite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive