HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2321  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 7:09 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 557
Development at KOP Town Center/Village at Valley Forge is really impressive. Rail out here is going to be a game changer. It's too bad we couldn't get a stop here as well somehow.









Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2322  
Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:00 PM
domodeez domodeez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 429
Wilmington: Mid-Town Park

Facade going up. Hard to see the off-white panels from the street since they started going up in the middle of the block. Will get better shots as it keeps going up.

From Orange Street, looking east to Shipley and Market (Grand Opera House in the background):




From Shipley Street, looking west to Orange Street:




On Shipley looking northeast:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2323  
Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:08 PM
domodeez domodeez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 429
Wilmington: 405 Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslice View Post
Looks like some work is happening at 405 N Market street, the old site of the Sports Connection. Found this online but anyone have any additional info:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/405-N...on-DE/9050354/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2324  
Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:55 PM
ebuilder ebuilder is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 118
can someone decode?

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...us-oneill.html

Seems like they aren't going anywhere though
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2325  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 12:20 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 621
Now, it's time for an update from a Philly area city that we don't hear too much about: Chester.

I took a bus from Philly to Delco to see my family on Christmas Day. Since I had some downtime before transferring to the next bus, I decided to wander around. While walking along 5th Street, I noticed a dumpster:



Upon further examination, it turns out that a building on the corner of 5th and Avenue of the States is having its commercial space gutted and renovated:



I didn't take pictures of this, but many of the formerly abandoned storefronts along Avenue of the States south of Chester Transportation Center are being utilized as art galleries. While that isn't really retail, it does do something to activate that stretch of roadway.

Back at Chester Transportation Center, I noticed work being done on an old warehouse that was in danger of collapsing last summer:



I'm clueless as to what is going on, but I am glad to see an old warehouse being adaptively reused!
__________________
No one outsmarts a Fox!

Temple University '18 ']['
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2326  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 12:59 AM
Nova08 Nova08 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuilder View Post
can someone decode?

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...us-oneill.html

Seems like they aren't going anywhere though
Correct

Summary of article
-They currently have 106k sq ft of space in Conshohocken and 185k sq ft of space in Chesterbrook. The Chesterbrook space lease ends in 2020.
-They are reportedly looking for 300-400k sq ft of space
-They are considering all of the 4 proposed commercial buildings in Conshohocken
-Also considering space in KOP
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2327  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 5:17 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,362
King of Prussia Mall to add apartments, office to retail property

Quote:
Simon Property Group is looking to transform the vacant J.C. Penney property at the King of Prussia Mall into a mixed-use project that would involve apartments, a hotel and “outdoor work-play space.”

The project has been in the planning stages with the Upper Merion planning department for the last year or so and continues to be a work in progress. During a conference call with analysts to cover third quarter results, David Simon, CEO of Simon Property, said such a project could help boost the mall’s value to $3 billion-plus from $2 billion and likened it to a version of “Hudson Yards for wealthy King of Prussia.”

The J.C. Penney just didn’t fit with the other anchors at the mall such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor and Blommingdales, Simon said.

“The center...it’s very big and we didn’t need another department store,” he said. “We could have done traditional [retail] but the fact of the mater is the pivot of what is the front and what’s the back of the center has evolved over time and we have ability for a hotel, apartments, office and complimentary retail with outdoor work-and-play space that is gong to be unbelievable for that community... we got to get it done. We got to open it. A lot folks are missing those kind of opportunities.”

How much the project would cost wasn’t divulged, but Simon said it would be a “significant investment.”

In a recent report in Bloomberg and with the Indianapolis Business Journal, Simon Property said that the proposed development would also include not only the former J.C. Penney space, which went dark in July, but the adjacent parking lot. Combined, that creates a 17-acre site the company has to work with for a mixed-use project.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-jcpenney.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2328  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 5:31 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,362
Personally, I would love to see them anchor a new construction tower in Conshohocken

AmerisourceBergen narrows its search for new office space

Quote:
AmerisourceBergen Corp. has reportedly whittled down several locations for a new office as the company narrows its focus on what has been an extended search for a new home.

Most of the sites under consideration are in Conshohocken, Pa., according to people familiar with the situation. That is where the company now maintains its corporate headquarters in 106,000 square feet at 227 Washington St., which is a building owned by O’Neill Properties Group. In addition to that space, the company occupies 185,000 square feet at 1300 Morris Drive in Chesterbrook Corporate Center in Wayne, Pa., according to Securities and Exchange Commission documents.

The first part of next year will be a telling one for AmerisourceBergen and portend the possibility of new office construction in the suburbs. The company’s lease in Chesterbrook expires in 2020. The time frame gives AmerisourceBergen a narrow window if it decides to anchor a new office building since construction would take at least 18 months to complete. The company is reportedly looking for between 300,000 square feet and as much as 400,000 square feet of space, according to various sources familiar with the situation.

The properties under consideration in Conshohocken are:

-A 330,000-square-foot office building proposed by Equus Capital Partners at 400 W. Elm St.;
-A 260,000-square-foot office building called Seven Tower Bridge at 171 Washington St. that is proposed by Oliver Tyrone Pulver;
-Millennium IV and V, which are two, 270,000-square-foot buildings that O’Neill Properties Group wants to construct along the waterfront;
-A project that Keystone Property Group is undertaking in Conshohocken that involves two office buildings — one that will total 245,000 square feet of and another at 223,000 square feet along Fayette Street

Outside of Conshohocken, AmerisourceBerge is considering The Village of Valley Forge. Through approvals, Realen Properties can construct upwards of 1.5 million square feet of office space at the King of Prussia, Pa., property.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...us-oneill.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2329  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:41 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,362
Huge $14M Ferris wheel opens in Atlantic City

Read more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...teel-pier.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2330  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:44 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,362
Construction activity rose to more than $9 billion in Greater Philadelphia

Quote:
Data through the end of November show that the Philadelphia region had a robust year in both residential and non-residential construction activity, far exceeding last year's figures.

Total building activity in both categories — non and residential construction — totaled $9.12 billion for this year through November compared with $5.86 billion last year during the same 11-month period, which is a 57 percent increase, according to Dodge Data & Analytics. When December's data is added in, the total is expected to slightly rise.

Both non and residential building rose throughout the year. Non-residential, which includes office, retail, hotel, distribution center, educational, health care and other commercial real estate projects, totaled $5.82 billion, up from $3.44 billion in 2016, according to the Dodge data. Residential construction, which includes single-family and multifamily projects, swung to a total of $3.37 billion, an increase from $2.42 billion.

The year-to-date data covers the metropolitan area of Philadelphia, which includes an 11-county area stretching from Bucks County in Pennsylvania south to Wilmington, Del.

Several large projects throughout the region are scheduled to be completed next year.

In Philadelphia alone, the Comcast Technology Center, the first phase of East Market, the W/Element hotel, and the redevelopment of the Gallery are all expected to come online in 2018.

In Camden, N.J., the new headquarters for Subaru of America and American Water are expected to be completed; as well as and several apartment and commercial projects in King of Prussia, Pa., Malvern, Pa., Newtown Square, Pa., and other western suburbs.

There are also several large construction projects that are now underway or expected to break ground including a new inpatient hospital for the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, the first phase of Schuylkill Yards in Philadelphia and a new hospital for Virtua Health System in South Jersey.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-data-cre.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2331  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 9:31 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,445
^
I can say the Newtown Square development around the old DuPont Estates is massive. Apartments, Single Family dwellings (Toll Brothers), and Ellis Preserve (Hotel, Office buildings, Whole Foods and other retailers) probably adding several thousand new people to just this area alone. The area has further potential, but road infrastructure might limit further developments.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2332  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:15 PM
jonesrmj's Avatar
jonesrmj jonesrmj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 297
All of this development looks great for the Philly Metro!

About Wilmington, something that makes me happy is to see an article talking about office development here:

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...tion/88563450/

The article is about a year old, but it makes me happy to at least think that it's not like Wilmington is doing nothing about offices as much as I thought.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2333  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:37 PM
Mr Saturn64's Avatar
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Huge $14M Ferris wheel opens in Atlantic City

Read more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...teel-pier.html
Nice. I'm going as soon as it gets warmer out. Atlantic City's really underrated, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2334  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 11:05 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Nice. I'm going as soon as it gets warmer out. Atlantic City's really underrated, in my opinion.
These are the types of developments AC needs to pursue to be successful. The further they expand from the casino industry the better. I don't gamble much, but I'd still go to Vegas...AC needs to have that same appeal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2335  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 7:36 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,607
This is nice to see! In my opinion, deliberate cultivation of satellite cities is the key to the affordability crisis. While I support affordable housing initiatives that are done in a way that makes sense, the law of supply and demand is somewhere between a man-made law and a natural law, leaning more towards a natural law. Affordable quotas for new construction buildings in the core and other desirable neighborhoods in alpha and beta cities can only be taken so far before they stymie construction and development because projects become unprofitable given land and labor costs.

I think states and cities should be devoting substantial resources to the development of satellite cities near alpha and beta cities, including development of intra-city transportation in said satellite cities and transportation to the alpha or beta city. Only this way, will be able to retain decent percentages of middle and low income people in cities. Otherwise, cities where people want to live are all headed the way of Manhattan and San Francisco as demand rises (or even steadies) and population grows. I believe it's about a 25 minute subway ride or ride on regional rail from Chester to Philadelphia. That's less than the time it takes to the city core from many of Philadelphia's outlying neighborhoods. So, we should be promoting development efforts in Chester, where renovation and conversion of buildings and even new construction can be done much more cheaply than in Philadelphia. For other cities, with more expensive land cots and less cheap housing further out, this is even more important. Focus should also be paid to densifying certain suburbs and transforming edge cities into true cities with more walkable downtowns and residences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Now, it's time for an update from a Philly area city that we don't hear too much about: Chester.

I took a bus from Philly to Delco to see my family on Christmas Day. Since I had some downtime before transferring to the next bus, I decided to wander around. While walking along 5th Street, I noticed a dumpster:

Upon further examination, it turns out that a building on the corner of 5th and Avenue of the States is having its commercial space gutted and renovated:

I didn't take pictures of this, but many of the formerly abandoned storefronts along Avenue of the States south of Chester Transportation Center are being utilized as art galleries. While that isn't really retail, it does do something to activate that stretch of roadway.

Back at Chester Transportation Center, I noticed work being done on an old warehouse that was in danger of collapsing last summer:

I'm clueless as to what is going on, but I am glad to see an old warehouse being adaptively reused!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2336  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:30 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,600
I agree with this sentiment, and I'm of the opinion better rail transportation links are a major part of why regional cities like Lancaster are doing better than ones like Reading.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2337  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:30 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
This is nice to see! In my opinion, deliberate cultivation of satellite cities is the key to the affordability crisis. While I support affordable housing initiatives that are done in a way that makes sense, the law of supply and demand is somewhere between a man-made law and a natural law, leaning more towards a natural law. Affordable quotas for new construction buildings in the core and other desirable neighborhoods in alpha and beta cities can only be taken so far before they stymie construction and development because projects become unprofitable given land and labor costs.

I think states and cities should be devoting substantial resources to the development of satellite cities near alpha and beta cities, including development of intra-city transportation in said satellite cities and transportation to the alpha or beta city. Only this way, will be able to retain decent percentages of middle and low income people in cities. Otherwise, cities where people want to live are all headed the way of Manhattan and San Francisco as demand rises (or even steadies) and population grows. I believe it's about a 25 minute subway ride or ride on regional rail from Chester to Philadelphia. That's less than the time it takes to the city core from many of Philadelphia's outlying neighborhoods. So, we should be promoting development efforts in Chester, where renovation and conversion of buildings and even new construction can be done much more cheaply than in Philadelphia. For other cities, with more expensive land cots and less cheap housing further out, this is even more important. Focus should also be paid to densifying certain suburbs and transforming edge cities into true cities with more walkable downtowns and residences.
I couldn't agree more with everything you've stated! You also indirectly made a good case for something that would substantially benefit the region: converting the Regional Rail into a rapid transit service.

Like other regions, housing prices continue to rise in the core city. Unlike other regions, however, Philly has a ton of urban nodes in the suburbs. They are spread across multiple counties and states, united by the Regional Rail. A Regional Rail ride from Chester to University City does indeed take around 25 minutes, which is about as much time as it takes one to ride a local BSL train from Fern Rock to City Hall. If the Regional Rail could run at even 20 minute headways, the city would become so much more accessible to the outlying area. Building affordable housing out in the suburbs--where cheap land, in-tact urban downtowns, and transit centers exist--would help to ease price pressure within the city. Combine this with a fare restructuring, and we have great connectivity throughout the region. Transit connectivity is a big reason that affordable housing tends to be highly concentrated in cities.

The Cynwyd Line should be SEPTA's guinea pig: it is short, has high-level platforms at 60% of its stations (Suburban, 30th Street, and Wynnfield Avenue), and has Platform #7 specially designated for it at Suburban. It also stops at Bala, which is under high-traffic City Avenue. That area has a ton of college students at St. Joe's, a lot of workers at the surrounding office buildings at Bala Cynwyd, and the Montgomery Avenue business district in Bala. Run two-car trains along that line at 20 minute intervals throughout the day and watch ridership explode. The 1, 44, 52, and 65 could also drop passengers off at Bala, providing a quick trip to Center City. With the new SEPTA Key technology, the cost of a trip along that line can be made to be the same as a typical transit trip.
__________________
No one outsmarts a Fox!

Temple University '18 ']['
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2338  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:36 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I agree with this sentiment, and I'm of the opinion better rail transportation links are a major part of why regional cities like Lancaster are doing better than ones like Reading.
Agree re Lancaster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2339  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:38 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I couldn't agree more with everything you've stated! You also indirectly made a good case for something that would substantially benefit the region: converting the Regional Rail into a rapid transit service.

Like other regions, housing prices continue to rise in the core city. Unlike other regions, however, Philly has a ton of urban nodes in the suburbs. They are spread across multiple counties and states, united by the Regional Rail. A Regional Rail ride from Chester to University City does indeed take around 25 minutes, which is about as much time as it takes one to ride a local BSL train from Fern Rock to City Hall. If the Regional Rail could run at even 20 minute headways, the city would become so much more accessible to the outlying area. Building affordable housing out in the suburbs--where cheap land, in-tact urban downtowns, and transit centers exist--would help to ease price pressure within the city. Combine this with a fare restructuring, and we have great connectivity throughout the region. Transit connectivity is a big reason that affordable housing tends to be highly concentrated in cities.

The Cynwyd Line should be SEPTA's guinea pig: it is short, has high-level platforms at 60% of its stations (Suburban, 30th Street, and Wynnfield Avenue), and has Platform #7 specially designated for it at Suburban. It also stops at Bala, which is under high-traffic City Avenue. That area has a ton of college students at St. Joe's, a lot of workers at the surrounding office buildings at Bala Cynwyd, and the Montgomery Avenue business district in Bala. Run two-car trains along that line at 20 minute intervals throughout the day and watch ridership explode. The 1, 44, 52, and 65 could also drop passengers off at Bala, providing a quick trip to Center City. With the new SEPTA Key technology, the cost of a trip along that line can be made to be the same as a typical transit trip.
Yep. I think we really need significant government investment in rail and subway transit along the lines of what we saw in highways during the Eisenhower administration and urban renewal period. THAT is the infrastructure investment we need. Unfortunately, I don't think it's forthcoming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2340  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:12 AM
jonesrmj's Avatar
jonesrmj jonesrmj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 297
[IMG]Abandoned Dupont Complex by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

After driving by this site a lot recently, I've noticed that DuPont has abandoned most of their campus near DE-141 and DE-48. (Here is a map to better understand where I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...!4d-75.6006065) I've been wondering, what will most likely happen here, and what should happen here?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.