HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 98-126 Edison Place | FT | 6 FLOORS (Conversion)

Project: 98-126 Edison Place (Conversion; see existing vs proposed)

Conversion:

Existing Structure:

Quote:
Since 1907, the Newark Warehouse Company Building, also known as the Central Graphic Arts Building, has stood near Newark Penn Station and the Prudential Center at 98-126 Edison Place, at the southwestern corner of McCarter Highway/Route 21, in the city’s East Ward. The building, located in the Downtown Core District Redevelopment Area, has largely been vacant in recent years, with the exception of a small gallery inside that hosted this year’s Ironbound Multicultural Festival. Previously, the building was used for commercial purposes by companies like Iron Mountain and Central Paper Company.

In 2014, a company registered out of ParkFast-owner Edison Properties acquired the building for $7 million from the North Caldwell-based Berkowitz Company, according to NJ Parcels.

Now, we are seeing the first sign of progress on the project from the developer, Newark Warehouse Redeveloper Company, LLC. The company has applied to the Newark Central Planning Board for preliminary and final site plan approval to rehabilitate the building and expand it into a seven-story 456,059 square foot building to be used for office, retail, and commercial purposes, according to a legal notice. The developer is requesting variances in regards to having insufficient street trees and excessive lighting levels, according to board records. Leonard D. Savino P.E. of Parsippany-based Langan Engineering and Environmental Services is registered as the project architect and engineer.
=========================
https://jerseydigs.com/the-newark-wa...ce-conversion/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:36 PM

Nice to see those new projects in East Orange, especially the new tower.

That city is extremely urban, has great rail connections to Manhattan, and is ideal for urban infill.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 11:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 359-407 Halsey Street | FT | 4 FLOORS

Project: 359-407 Halsey Street

Quote:
A building called ‘The Residences at Symphony Hall’ will rise at 359-407 Halsey Street in Newark’s Central Ward, between West Kinney Street and Crawford Street. A groundbreaking ceremony was held in June for this four-story development, an affordable community containing 20 one-bedroom units and 40-two bedroom units.

According to a statement from the City’s Department of Economic and Housing Development, six units will be reserved for individuals with a mental illness and nine units will be set aside for residents who both are experiencing homelessness and have a disability. A community room, a play area, rehearsal space, a social services suite, and 55 parking spaces will also be included at The Residences.

The project is being developed by Collingswood, Camden County-based Ingerman and Paoli, Pennsylvania-based BCM Affordable Housing, in association with the Actors Fund Housing Development Corporation, the Mental Health Association of Essex County, and the YMCA of Newark and Vicinity. City records from earlier this month show that the developers are slated to receive a Federal HOME Funds loan for $950,000.
=========================
https://jerseydigs.com/residences-at...k-development/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:35 AM
Posh

What's the status of this? Haven't heard anything about it in a while. Unless some of the other projects here are part of it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 12:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | Murphy Varnish Works (Redevelopment/Conversion) | 4 FLOORS

Project: Murphy Varnish Works (Redevelopment/Conversion)

Proposed:

Existing: * (See links below)

Quote:
However, developers are now in the process of revitalizing the structures, which take up an entire block. F.M. Renaissance, LLC, based on Chapel Street in Newark, is planning to convert the Murphy Varnish Works into 46 residential rental units and three retail spaces. According to NJ Parcels, the company acquired the complex last October for $1.2 million. F.M. Renaissance’s proposal was approved with conditions 7-0 by the Newark Zoning Board of Adjustment on November 10th.

Madeline Ruiz-Robinson, who is listed as the project architect, applied in February to add a new four-story addition to the building within the courtyard, and to keep one of the courtyard structures previously slated to be demolished as part of the project. The proposal was approved with conditions in March by the Newark Landmarks and Historic Preservation Commission. In addition, new insulated windows will replicate the existing style and material of the original units, according to commission records.
========================
1) https://jerseydigs.com/murphy-varnis...redevelopment/
* 2) http://www.newarkhistory.com/mcwhorterst.html (History of Structure)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 12:31 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
What's the status of this? Haven't heard anything about it in a while. Unless some of the other projects here are part of it.
I Haven't heard much about it either. Teachers village is in full swing and has been in terms of new construction, but the taller, near super tall component I'm in the dark about. I doubt the FAA would allow it. I can see 600, maybe 750 ft at most, but I doubt anything over 900 ft.

Granted, could Newark in theory support it, of course. Demand is there in JC, and I think as prices rise, we will see the migration of new residents and units (along with office space; class A for tenants seeking cheaper sq-ft/$. That's a lot for the city to absorb and I think it's risky at the moment especially with so much competition over in Jersey City. Newark will have its time to go tall, but not at the moment I feel.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 5:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Project: Murphy Varnish Works (Redevelopment/Conversion)

Proposed:

Do we know if they are keeping the chimney? I hate to see chimneys destroyed.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 2:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Do we know if they are keeping the chimney? I hate to see chimneys destroyed.
We might have to wait for diagrams. Although it's not present in the rendering. I'd imagine it would be removed it especially as they are seeking to convert the whole place to residential with some retail. Might make it a negative from a PR point of view. Although some may prefer that. That vintage look.

Plus the chimney and what it's connected to would be redeveloped. No sense in having a smoke stack if its not being used or serves no purpose other than a prop.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 6:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

That would be a shame. I think many people underestimate the local "landmark" importance of industrial chimneys and they are in many cases aesthetically impressive though its understandable how some may not see that in the least. Case in point would be the Powerhouse development in LIC where they removed the original cast iron chimneys totally destroying, imo, the appeal of the whole project. The original plan called for keeping them and would have been so much better than what was built: http://www.pbase.com/image/42994331.jpg

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
In terms of the skyscraper portion, I haven't heard anything either. This is big for the city. Skyline changing at a massive scale. Hell, even a 600 footer would be really big news. Although it would be odd if Newark claims the title of tallest in NJ before JC does. Was hoping One Journal Square would become the states record holder, but downsized to 777 ft.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 656 Springfield Avenue + 718-722 South 17th Street | FT | 5 + 4 FLOORS

Project: 656 Springfield Avenue + 718-722 South 17th Street

Quote:
According to a legal notice, 650 Springfield Ave, LLC has applied to the Newark Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) for variances regarding the two-building project. One of the buildings is slated to be a four-story mixed-use structure with 59 residential units and 28 surface parking spaces, while the other is set to be five stories tall and will 56 residential units, with 30 parking spaces provided in a garage on the ground floor.

A presentation published by the Newark Community Economic Development Corporation in 2016 stated that GS Developers and Queen Latifah were behind the project. A source familiar with the development, who request anonymity, confirmed to Jersey Digs that GonSosa Development of Union County, which is listed on its website as being affiliated with GS Developers, will partner with Queen Latifah for the project. According to the source, the buildings will also include a theater room, a community room, a fitness center, a patio area, and free Wi-Fi for residents when completed in 2018.

The development proposal calls for developing the buildings on several lots, including 650-656 Springfield Avenue and 718-722 South 17th Street, many of which are vacant and currently owned by the City of Newark. However, a few of the tracts are owned by the Blue Sugar Corporation, according to city records, which is registered out of the same Monmouth Junction address as Queen Latifah, Inc.
=====================
JC Digs

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 115 Chestnut Street (Vesey Street Commons) | FT | 5 FLOORS

Project: 115 Chestnut Street AKA "Vesey Street Commons"

Quote:
Property owner Chestnut Global Enterprises has placed the development site at 115 Chestnut Street, located on the corner of Hermon Street in Newark’s Ironbound district, on the market for $3.96 million, Jersey Digs reported. Plans for a five-story, 72-unit residential building, called Vesey Street Commons, are fully approved. The apartments would range from one- to two-bedrooms, if a new developer were to follow the latest permits. The 28,988-square-foot plot is currently vacant. Until roughly a decade ago, it was occupied by an industrial building utilized by the Wilson Imperial Company.
=======================
NYY

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 118-126 Green Street | FT | 5 FLOORS (Conversion)

Project: 118-126 Green Street (Conversion of existing structure)

Quote:
Construction is currently underway to convert the four-story building at 118-126 Green Street, at the northeast corner of New Jersey Railroad Avenue in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark’s East Ward, into the five-story Textile Lofts development. A rendering of how the project is slated to look upon completion was posted by East Ward Councilman Augusto Amador. When completed, Textile Lofts will include 64 residential loft-style units, commercial space on the ground floor, a laundromat, and parking.

Plans for a one-story addition to the building with fiber cement board siding and for the development to include a halo-lit sign reading Textile Lofts were approved with conditions in June 2015 by the Newark Landmarks and Historic Preservation Commission. The Newark Central Planning Board approved the project’s amended and final site plan with variances for maximum lot coverage, insufficient rear yard setback, maximum impervious coverage, excessive signage, and primary street entrance location during a meeting back in July 2015 with conditions.
====================
JC_Digs

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:58 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
I Haven't heard much about it either. Teachers village is in full swing and has been in terms of new construction, but the taller, near super tall component I'm in the dark about. I doubt the FAA would allow it. I can see 600, maybe 750 ft at most, but I doubt anything over 900 ft.

Granted, could Newark in theory support it, of course. Demand is there in JC, and I think as prices rise, we will see the migration of new residents and units (along with office space; class A for tenants seeking cheaper sq-ft/$. That's a lot for the city to absorb and I think it's risky at the moment especially with so much competition over in Jersey City. Newark will have its time to go tall, but not at the moment I feel.
There are no caps on height for Newark...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:00 AM

Update from 2/23/17

Hanhe and Company

One Theatre Square

45 Rector Street

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There are no caps on height for Newark...
Right, but I don't foresee the FAA allowing it. Given what we've seen in JC near Journal Square and in LIC, eh... Newark might be iffy. Now if we can get a 250-300m tower, fantastic, but I think it will be lucky if we do or if the FAA allows it. Even with Newark airport quite a distance away from Downtown.

I'm thinking more of the flight paths over portions of Ironbound. Seems a tad bit close.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Right, but I don't foresee the FAA allowing it. Given what we've seen in JC near Journal Square and in LIC, eh... Newark might be iffy. Now if we can get a 250-300m tower, fantastic, but I think it will be lucky if we do or if the FAA allows it. Even with Newark airport quite a distance away from Downtown.

I'm thinking more of the flight paths over portions of Ironbound. Seems a tad bit close.
East Ward , Harrison , East Newark , Kearny , Hackensack and Bayonne have caps... But Downtown Newark is free , there are no approach paths over it... Its mostly infill now , but that ramps up demand and everything has been filling up fast... Im not comfortable with SOMA project being so far away from the Main Train stations , I rather see it near Broad Street on those empty lots and spill over to the North Ward...but that's a separate plan which about to break ground soon..

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 10:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: Groundbreaking for 550 Central Avenue (In Orange, NJ)

Credit: JC_Digs

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

IRVINGTON | The Hilltop (832 Chancellor Avenue) | FT | 8 + 5 FLOORS

Project: The Hilltop (832 Chancellor Avenue)

Quote:
The Township of Irvington, located just west of Newark, will soon be home to The HillTop, a large mixed-use multi-phase development. The project is being developed at a six-acre lot where the Irvington General Hospital once stood at 832 Chancellor Avenue, between Park Place and Krotik Place, not far from the borders of Union, Hillside, and Maplewood.

The development’s first phase will be a five-story building called The Gillepsie, the Greater Newark LISC reports, adding that The Gillepsie was awarded a 9% tax credit award from the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency. According to TD+Partners, 80% of the 113 units in the $30 million building will be affordable, while the remaining 20% will be market rate. Perkins Eastman is listed as the project architect, and Prudential, JPMorgan Chase, and the National Equity Fund are among the listed development partners.

The HillTop property, which features views of the Manhattan skyline is located near Garden State Chancellor Park and the Garden State Parkway, and NJ Transit’s Bus 39 to Newark’s South Ward and Downtown Newark stops directly in front of the lot.
===================
Jersey Digs

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEWARK | 8-50 McWhorter Street + 51-57 Union Street + 108 Hamilton Street | 12 FLOORS

Project: 28-50 McWhorter Street + 51-57 Union Street + 108 Hamilton Street (Tallest Residential in Ironbound)

Quote:
A developer has just proposed what would be one of the largest residential buildings ever constructed in Newark’s Ironbound neighborhood.

The proposal calls for a new high-rise mixed-use building to be built at 28-50 McWhorter Street, 51-57 Union Street, and 108 Hamilton Street in the city’s East Ward. According to a legal notice from the City of Newark, should the 506,656.34 square foot tower be approved, it would be 12 stories tall, and include 384 residential units. A commercial or retail space is also planned for the ground floor.

The building is being proposed by applicant and property owner 28 McWhorter St., LLC, which is registered out of the same Roseland Borough address as J&L Parking Corporation.

Currently, high-rise multi-family dwellings are not a permitted use in this district. Therefore, the notice states that the developer is seeking a variety of variances, including for exceeding the permitted percentage of lot coverage, insufficient front yard setback, insufficient side yard setback and insufficient rear yard setback.
======================
JC_Heights

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations