HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:52 PM

If only it had a spire!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:45 PM

Does anyone know when this beast is supposed to break ground? I thought I heard as early as October of this year there could be approval on permits but there is also this Extended Stay Hotel issue that sounds open and unresolved.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:47 PM
Mr. Avatar

I don't know. I never really had an opinion either way about spires, but now that Austin has a couple of them, I'd be ok with not having any more unless the building really really made sense to have one. 360 does, but the Fairmont, eh. Too many spires can also be just as bad as a plateau and could get pretty distracting real quick. Especially when you catch the skyline from a distance and when you're wondering, now what building does that spire belong to?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:41 PM

I'd take a permanent illuminated crown over a spire any day.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
A poster on surlyhorns had an interesting comparison:

Trump Tower Chicago is actually a beautiful building. It's at a really strategic point in the river -- the sitelines are really amazing.

If it weren't for that damn nameplate . . . .

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:26 PM

I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that they were close to landing a lead tenant for this building. According to the rumor its a national (or international?) law firm known for their extravagant office design that already has an office downtown.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor that they were close to landing a lead tenant for this building. According to the rumor its a national (or international?) law firm known for their extravagant office design that already has an office downtown.
Interesting. I am a lawyer at a large law firm downtown, so at least I know it's not us, but I wonder what other firm is known for their extravagant office design? Further, what other firm is large enough to be considered a "lead tenant"? To my knowledge, the largest Austin office for a law firm downtown has about 60-70 lawyers, so that only equates to maybe 120 total employees at best in the office...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Interesting. I am a lawyer at a large law firm downtown, so at least I know it's not us, but I wonder what other firm is known for their extravagant office design? Further, what other firm is large enough to be considered a "lead tenant"? To my knowledge, the largest Austin office for a law firm downtown has about 60-70 lawyers, so that only equates to maybe 120 total employees at best in the office...
They referred to it as 'lead tenant' but I'm guessing they meant kick-off tenant. Colorado Tower kicked off with two law firms - Dubois Bryant and Scott Douglass - and those two firms combined only took 3 floors.

Edited to add: If it is the firm I was told, they have ~70,000 sf downtown right now. Please keep in mind this is all rumor.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Trump Tower Chicago is actually a beautiful building. It's at a really strategic point in the river -- the sitelines are really amazing.

I've been having a hard time with this building (6 x) and your side by side images finally made me realize why. The Drumpf tower feels like a seamless, graceful whole. 6 X seems like a clunky assemblage of parts. Decent from the angle you showed (except for the giant box podium) but overall an ungainly disappointment.

(Oh - and yeah - I was in Chacago recently and would not point my camera at that building due to the nameplate.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

Not to mention there's a really excellent restaurant in there.

Why can't we just have Chicago's skyline?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

I like the quirky skyline, any city can have seemeless. Again reminds me of Tokyo, lots of quirkiness and weird high rises.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 2:55 PM
Just Some Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardensoul View Post
I've been having a hard time with this building (6 x) and your side by side images finally made me realize why. The Drumpf tower feels like a seamless, graceful whole. 6 X seems like a clunky assemblage of parts. Decent from the angle you showed (except for the giant box podium) but overall an ungainly disappointment.

(Oh - and yeah - I was in Chacago recently and would not point my camera at that building due to the nameplate.)
Well it's basically 2 separate highrises in 1 building. Hence, the "assemblage".

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:30 AM
Yank in Tex

I was finding the building a little hard to get excited about at first, but it just recently occurred to me that some of the most photographed western views of the skyline (Zilker, Lou Neff, etc.), and therefore this building, will be almost at the angle in the above comparison, or even more squarly on the vertex of the most acute angle itself, almost like the famous head-on view of the Flatiron Building in NYC. I think the shape of this one will assert itself in an iconic way more than might be depicted in the renderings...and I'm excited.

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin