HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:08 PM
1st Ward

Chicago is so affordable, the thought of rent control is down right laughable. Unfortunately, most of the electorate is going to get excited by any politician that offers to cut down one of their biggest expenses. Too bad they don't understand how supply and demand works, and how rent control is going to make finding available apartments damn near impossible. But alas, we like learning the hard way don't we?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
How exactly did rent control become a topic of issue in the Governor's race?
You can thank that smarmy twat Will Guzzardi for that. He's literally the most disingenuous politician I've ever met. I literally know him on a first name basis because I run into him literally everywhere I go and by that I mean at all of the fanciest cocktail bars, restaurants, and breweries in Logan Square. He's always sitting at Scofflaw, Revolution, Collectivo, etc etc etc and then he goes and campaigns for rent control. I've talked to him too and he knows damn well how stupid the idea is, he also knows that's how he can get to higher office.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:40 AM

Chicago doesn't rent control. The problem (perceived and realistic to some extent) is that many residents have to choose between dodging bullets or giving up half their checks to live in some stability. When the city actually makes curbing the crime a major priority, perhaps this debate can be at least delayed if not a thing of the past.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 1:32 PM
The City

We’ve also reached a point in Chicago where there are literally tenants who are wealthier than their landlords. This half century notion of the rich and greedy landlord vs the poor widdle working class tenant who is struggling is way outdated.

We need to stop victimizing tenant-hood.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMIchael View Post
Chicago doesn't rent control. The problem (perceived and realistic to some extent) is that many residents have to choose between dodging bullets or giving up half their checks to live in some stability. When the city actually makes curbing the crime a major priority, perhaps this debate can be at least delayed if not a thing of the past.
This isn't true either. For example, there's been a grand total of three homicides in Little Village this year which has a reputation for being a very "shooty" place. There are many areas that are sterotyped as dangerous but in reality have little crime especially if you don't partake in gangbanging.

Hermosa has zero, Bridgeport has zero, Kenwood has two, Uptown has zero, Rogers Park has one, West Ridge has two, Pullman has one, Burnside has zero, McKinnley Park as one, etc etc etc. None of these are expensive places except maybe Bridgeport.

The reality is Chicago has no affordability crisis PERIOD. There is high crime concentrated in a few very specific pockets and there is Gentrification in a few specific pockets and pretty much 50% of the city is cheap or moderately priced areas with average or low crime.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:43 PM
The City

I’ve got a tenant whose Dad co-signed the lease. Her Dad is a NYC attorney who makes $100,000 per month!. Now tell me, all of you who are stuck on this notion that tenants are poor and landlords are rich, who is better off here? I have a good job but I sure as hell ain’t making that kind of salary!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This isn't true either. For example, there's been a grand total of three homicides in Little Village this year which has a reputation for being a very "shooty" place. There are many areas that are sterotyped as dangerous but in reality have little crime especially if you don't partake in gangbanging.

Hermosa has zero, Bridgeport has zero, Kenwood has two, Uptown has zero, Rogers Park has one, West Ridge has two, Pullman has one, Burnside has zero, McKinnley Park as one, etc etc etc. None of these are expensive places except maybe Bridgeport.

The reality is Chicago has no affordability crisis PERIOD. There is high crime concentrated in a few very specific pockets and there is Gentrification in a few specific pockets and pretty much 50% of the city is cheap or moderately priced areas with average or low crime.
I have been trying to convince my mother-in-law of this for a month. She is convinced the only option for a 60 year-old woman is in Lincoln Park for $1400/month.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
I have been trying to convince my mother-in-law of this for a month. She is convinced the only option for a 60 year-old woman is in Lincoln Park for $1400/month.
She could rent an entire bungalow for that in like half a dozen decent areas of the city.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Most of those areas listed are sketchy at worse. They were never particularly notorious. You can probably find something cheap in the South Side communities, but the the North Side ones are definitely not that much cheaper than the hotter neighborhoods. $1k/month is not affordable to the people lobbying to rent control.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:12 PM

^ Bridgeport, Kenwood, McKinley Park, Uptown, West Ridge and Rogers Park are mostly not sketchy at all. Sure Uptown and Rogers have small pockets of sketch. This is the problem though, for some reason, some people think they should be able to live anywhere they want. It shouldn't be that way, it never has been that way, it never will be that way.

And rent at $1K is affordable to people making 60% of the Area Median Income. That's quite affordable.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest