HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 9:00 PM

Fall groundbreaking planned for 60 11th street

Quote:
A rendering has emerged for the next piece of the massive 12th & Midtown puzzle. Developers brought plans before the Midtown Development Review Committee this week for a 20-story apartment tower (in the foreground, at right) that would link to the existing 77 12th Street project at the corner of 11th Street and Crescent Avenue.
http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...egaproject.php

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 3:50 PM

The Business Chronicle article on 98 14th Street reports that the developers hope to close on the land on April 30 and speculates on potential brands for the hotel such as Ritz-Carlton and Waldorf Astoria. As for the retail, yet again the hope is to attract a grocer, specifically Whole Foods.

It also mentioned that the developers are negotiating with the adjacent property owners to allow from access from 15th to this development. I think this is important to breaking up this huge block and could even help rush-hour traffic on 14th especially if 15th street is extended to Williams Street.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:16 PM

Details Surface For Moreland Ave Mixed-Use Project

More details — and visuals — have emerged for a $54 million project proposed near the Edgewood Retail District. Plans recently submitted to Invest Atlanta show the five-story "Elan Five Points Project" is slated for just over four acres across Moreland Avenue from the Edgewood shops. The development would include 285 apartments and 16,000 square feet of ground-level retail, fronting Moreland and wrapping around on either side to Wade Street and Seaboard Avenue.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...se-project.php

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:31 AM

131 Ponce is taking shape.

webcam

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
131 Ponce is taking shape.

webcam
Is all the parking at 131 below grade?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
Is all the parking at 131 below grade?
As you can see in the time lapse, they didn't dig very deep to start the project. It looks like some of the parking is slightly below grade on the back half of the site due to the slope of the site. It appears that the first level of most of the site is for parking.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:20 PM

Is Glenwood Place a done deal?

I saw that Fuq-ya is marketing retail spaces in his "new urban retail development" and advertising a summer 2015 delivery for the project. As suburban as it still is, it is actually an improvement over all of the other plans presented for the site. Note the addition of a small office building, a residential building on Glenwood and a "future" senior development.

http://properties.theshoppingcenterg.../view/id:1573/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:42 PM

^Ugh, that's absolutely hideous. What a disgrace. Fuqua should be run out of town.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:37 AM

Some developers seem to think that adding an office building to the perimeter of a standard suburban shopping center makes it "mixed use."

To me the term implies a finer level of detail. I wouldn't argue that every single building necessarily has to have retail, residential and office, but there should be some structures that contain more than one use.

For example, I would say 12th & Midtown, Buckhead Atlanta and PCM clearly fit the bill.

This Glenwood project, not so much. Even Town Brookhaven does a much better job.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:37 AM

Quote:
SHOP.DWELL.DINE.
Ahh, the epitome of urban living. You could work, shop, and live all right there in Jeff Fuquad's parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I saw that Fuq-ya is marketing retail spaces in his "new urban retail development" and advertising a summer 2015 delivery for the project. As suburban as it still is, it is actually an improvement over all of the other plans presented for the site. Note the addition of a small office building, a residential building on Glenwood and a "future" senior development.

http://properties.theshoppingcenterg.../view/id:1573/

Oh hell yes! Let's put the seniors over by the dumpsters where they belong... And while we are at it, let's make the beltline a glorified sidewalk through a parking lot. This plan is golden!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 3:18 AM

NCR eyes Midtown Atlanta for up to 275K sf HQ

Quote:
Duluth, Ga.-based financial technology giant NCR Corp. is eying Midtown as a site for its new headquarters.

The move would not only bring hundreds of jobs from Gwinnett County, it is also expected to create 1,200 new jobs, according to a source. NCR has also looked at sites in Gwinnett, Alpharetta and Central Perimeter.

NCR is said to be seeking 250,000 square feet-to-275,000 square feet, and could build a 10-story office tower in addition to smaller buildings for R&D labs, according to real estate sources. The campus could be similar to The Coca-Cola Co.'s headquarters in Midtown.

This is pure speculation but I read somewhere that there was some drilling on the 10th street site next to the Checkers and that the site is being marketed for future development. Could that drilling be related to this article?

If they do decide to locate in Midtown I would think that the site next to Centergy would offer the greatest visibility. That would even further transform that part of Spring street with Centergy North and University House on either side. Hope it happens!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:43 PM

According to the NPU-E agenda, someone is applying for a special use permit to convert the old Relapse Theater building that used to be a church (380 14th st NW) into a hotel with retail space.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 11:14 AM

Downtown Office Tower May be Apartments

Quote:
The same developers behind a hip mixed-use project along the Atlanta Beltline now wants to spark a downtown residential resurgence.

Paces Properties Inc., the developer of Krog Street Market filed plans earlier this month with the city of Atlanta to turn a vacant 20-story office building into an apartment tower with 324 units. Paces Properties has been working on the project at 250 Piedmont Ave. since last summer. It could close on the building in coming weeks.
Atlanta Business Chronicle

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 29, 2014 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:51 PM

New (large) Trees at Ponce City Market

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the Fulton property records map and noticed that over the last several years someone has assembled approximately all of this property outlined below. This would be a great spot for a residential midrise or two (10 -15 stories).

I was looking for an old picture and notice you called the development going here like a year ago on Page 32. Your posts are always very informative, but this is a whole different level. Great job.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:07 PM

The long delayed Health Museum seems to be back onthe burner - let's hope it will be realized.

Today's ABC
"Fund raising is expected to ramp up this year for the National Health Museum planned for Atlanta, according Dr. Louis W. Sullivan, the organization’s chairman."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The long delayed Health Museum seems to be back onthe burner - let's hope it will be realized.

Today's ABC
"Fund raising is expected to ramp up this year for the National Health Museum planned for Atlanta, according Dr. Louis W. Sullivan, the organization’s chairman."
Anyone have any of the old designs handy? This was supposed to go up next to the American Cancery Society, which is currently a super ugly parking lot/garage.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:28 PM

I'm still a little confused about who would go to a National Health Museum. I work in public health, and even I don't think there's an audience. With the College Football Hall of Fame and the Civil Rights Museum, there are obvious built-in audiences, and they're attractions people might bring the family to if they happen to be visiting Atlanta. But I can't imagine the same scenario for a health museum. Will people just randomly decide to attend? Plus, the CDC already has a health museum, and it has low attendance.

But, if they can raise the money and build it, good for them. Maybe it will be a smaller museum that doesn't need a lot of attendance to stay afloat. I just would hate to see a new museum open and then close a few years later due to lack of attendance.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:45 PM

[QUOTE=shivtim;6519646]I'm still a little confused about who would go to a National Health Museum. I work in public health, and even I don't think there's an audience. With the College Football Hall of Fame and the Civil Rights Museum, there are obvious built-in audiences, and they're attractions people might bring the family to if they happen to be visiting Atlanta. But I can't imagine the same scenario for a health museum. Will people just randomly decide to attend? Plus, the CDC already has a health museum, and it has low attendance.

However the CDC museum is not well known and hardly accessible to the general public without a lot of security nonsense. I've been a few times; it is quite good, but small. I agree, a health museum is potentially a pretty dead concept for a museum. i think the only hope would be to model it on a science museum (like Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, etc) that would be quite interactive and appeal to younger people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta