HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
All the new builds on Wardlaw are awesome examples of how you can make cheaper materials like hardibord look good. All about texture and variation. They look fantastic.

Also of horrific note, Basil is painting the red brick building that Wasabi is in black. Sigh.
totally agree with this. i love those new buildings.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
All the new builds on Wardlaw are awesome examples of how you can make cheaper materials like hardibord look good. All about texture and variation. They look fantastic.
That's 2Architecture, I think. They designed a few buildings on Cauchon as well, and I think they did that interesting cedar one at Wellington/Gertrude. They do manage to make cheap materials look somewhat interesting.

Quote:
Also of horrific note, Basil is painting the red brick building that Wasabi is in black. Sigh.
Why do landlords paint brick?! Brick = repoint once every 20 years. Paint = repaint peeling/chipped/faded paint every 5 years.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
That's 2Architecture, I think. They designed a few buildings on Cauchon as well, and I think they did that interesting cedar one at Wellington/Gertrude. They do manage to make cheap materials look somewhat interesting.

Why do landlords paint brick?! Brick = repoint once every 20 years. Paint = repaint peeling/chipped/faded paint every 5 years.
Yeah, I still can't believe they painted this grey:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/300...!4d-97.1410965
It's almost criminal.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:07 AM

despite the awful new banners along corydon, it is encouraging to see two new arches installed over the street to reinforce their streetscaping efforts. there is now one placed near stafford and one near Nassau. the corydon biz should be commended for their solid floral displays and they even put little scarecrows on the decorative lighting for Halloween. Osborne biz cant even seem to hire anyone to take the Canada games banners down..

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Yeah, I still can't believe they painted this grey:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/300...!4d-97.1410965
It's almost criminal.
I thought there was a bigger picture here when I saw this but - nope. That's it. I actually liked the red way more. Stupid, stupid decision. Fuck just thinking about it hurts my head. (and I see it every day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm a firm believer that a B or B+ project still raises our GPA significantly, and if the project succeeds, helps raise the local base economic capacity of projects like these, leading to better ones in the future.
Totally agree. The part of me that doesn't is the part of me who entertains job offers in other cities / US. If I stay in Winnipeg though the only way so stay positive is stuff like this.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:40 PM

Osborne Village deathwatch update:

Smitten (the sex shop between the Toad and Little Pizza Heaven) is now closed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Osborne Village deathwatch update:

Smitten (the sex shop between the Toad and Little Pizza Heaven) is now closed.
If a sex shop can't make it in what must surely be the singles capital of Winnipeg, then hope is fading fast.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
despite the awful new banners along corydon, it is encouraging to see two new arches installed over the street to reinforce their streetscaping efforts. there is now one placed near stafford and one near Nassau. the corydon biz should be commended for their solid floral displays and they even put little scarecrows on the decorative lighting for Halloween. Osborne biz cant even seem to hire anyone to take the Canada games banners down..
My wife noticed the scarecrows the other day and said we need to move to that area haha. I agreed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:20 PM

Osborne.. What's happening??

I entertained a coworker and his wife from Vancouver last weekend. We hit Segovia's then the hole in the wall martini bar on River across from the circle. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves. There were people allover it seemed like. Yet places are closing on the regular..

The hole in the wall building was super cool. I've never been inside. But the internal courtyard of the building is covered over much like the Forks Market is. Awesome little spot!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 11:13 PM

Osborne is now so low on my list of where to go when looking for an evening out it has become comical. What used to be the unabashed #1 choice barely registers as an option any more. It's sad. Thankfully, there are numerous other terribly interesting locations to go. Movie Village, Fuel Coffee, etc. seem a world away.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:42 AM
BANNED

has anyone actually walked down osborne lately? it's the most unpleasant street to walk down. narrow sidewalks, no plants, fast moving traffic with no barriers like others streets have (parking, bikes lanes, etc). Sherbrook, any of the Exchange streets, Corydon, Ellice, Sargeant, Portage, Main, are all much more pleasant places to be on an aesthetic level. they need to reduce the street to one lane each way with a centre turning lane, widen the sidewalks, and add a separated two way bike lane. until it starts functioning more like a neighbourhood commercial strip and less like a major arterial road it will continue to decline.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:07 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
has anyone actually walked down osborne lately? it's the most unpleasant street to walk down. narrow sidewalks, no plants, fast moving traffic with no barriers like others streets have (parking, bikes lanes, etc). Sherbrook, any of the Exchange streets, Corydon, Ellice, Sargeant, Portage, Main, are all much more pleasant places to be on an aesthetic level. they need to reduce the street to one lane each way with a centre turning lane, widen the sidewalks, and add a separated two way bike lane. until it starts functioning more like a neighbourhood commercial strip and less like a major arterial road it will continue to decline.
I agree that that would help make Osborne a better high street, but it's so hard to do that when Osborne is also a very important traffic artery. The conflict between Osborne the urban village and Osborne the auto artery is a major one with a difficult solution.

I will say though, streets like Broadway in Vancouver, 17 Avenue in Calgary or Whyte in Edmonton are also busy traffic roadways yet have quite successful commercial presences.

As an outsider I actually find Osborne perfectly pleasant in that sense. The traffic really doesn't feel very busy to me at all. I'll also say that despite the criticism its received on this page lately it's still the coolest urban area in Winnipeg in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:19 PM

^ I don't think traffic is the issue with Osborne. The street through the Village is narrow and relatively slow. I agree that the general environment looks very tired... so much effort has been put into beautifying the Exchange and maybe to a lesser extent West Broadway, yet Osborne Village looks like it's stuck in 1999.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:52 PM

Let's do one of Vike favourtie things, a major roadway project! Seriously though. Put the roadway below current street level and make the street a pedestrian area. Or something along those lines. But make the through route from Confusion corner to the bridge underground. Maybe add in a transit lane. Would be pretty sweet and have a permanent pedestrian mall. Maybe do some skating in the winter, connect it to the river trail.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:10 PM

^ It could one day come to that, but that day is a long way off. The most important ingredient in improving Osborne Village would be to have less shortsighted property owners. Osborne could be Winnipeg's shining urban jewel where people flock to live and where property values soar, but it's turning into a downmarket dump where buildings sit empty while landlords hold on to fading hopes that a big-money tenant will swoop in and lock up a 30 year lease at top dollar rates.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:53 PM

Traffic, and, more to the point, how it dominates the street, is *an* issue on Osborne for sure. The strip is bookended by two stroad-like areas (Confusion Corner to the south, and Osborne north of River) where pedestrians are an afterthought. Generations of city traffic engineers have tried to ram this traffic funnel through Osborne. No new building (or rezoning of existing buildings, I would think) could happen on Osborne without the City taking 10’-15’ off the front of the property for future road widening.

For owners and investors in existing properties, there’s no sense in spending too much on an exterior renovation if the building is just going to be demolished for an extra traffic lane someday. This may explain why Cornerstone Bar at the SW corner of River and Osborne, a great little bar inside, looks like Sage Creek-on-the-cheap on the outside; or why the great old three-storey building at the SE corner of River and Osborne hasn’t been upgraded since sometime before Seinfeld went off the air. In this way, traffic does play a role in the state of not only the street, but the buildings along it. And with vehicle traffic leaving no room in the right of way for trees, planting, benches, etc., the forelorn, crystalized-in-1995 buildings and shopfronts are more visible and tougher to ignore.

Add to this the undeniable fact that Osborne St. is no longer the city’s principle street for cool restaurants, pubs, boutique retail, yuppie housewares, etc. Over the past decade, the Exchange, South Osborne, and Sherbrook have become strong(er) draws for people wanting to wander around and shop, feel cool, or enjoy a nice night out. (Corydon is kind of hanging in there, too, more or less.) And, again, traffic’s domination comes into play: you won’t get splashed with gutter water by a racing bus on McDermot, Sherbrook, or South Osborne streets, but you certainly will on a wet night on the east side of Osborne.

After decades of being the biggest trendy/boutique/hipster/yuppie/whatever game in town, rents on Osborne are too high and many CRUs are too big for the reduced commercial demand. Property owners (mainly a small cabal of tired old holding companies) do not yet realize, or do realize but choose to ignore that this change is going on. And so a healthy transition is stunted, and “for lease” signs hang in dirty storefront windows for a long time. Small wonder most of the great new small businesses to crop up in the Village (Little Sister Coffee, Segovia, Super Deluxe Pizza, Nuburger) are not on Osborne Street.

Meanwhile, the BIZ is carrying on somewhere in the ether like nothing is going on, MIA aside from the occasional misplaced bleating in the news about homeless people.

Osborne Street is in a poor state. I say this not in an “it was cooler when I was younger” way, but as a fairly objective observation. I recently moved into the Village, and there’s many things I love about the neighbourhood, but Osborne Street itself is not one of them.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:36 PM

interesting story from the WFP:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...454818173.html

this is the guy who owned luxe and charm on osborne. i'm guessing this is part of the story of why luxe and charm is no longer there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Traffic, and, more to the point, how it dominates the street, is *an* issue on Osborne for sure..
wonderfully written take on the village! could not agree more with everything you have so eloquently mentioned. even the forks can claim a bigger pull than the village now in some ways.. who woulda though that back in 2005?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:54 PM

^ Great elegy for Osborne Village.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:54 PM

Yikes, what's with the hyperbole on Osborne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If a sex shop can't make it in what must surely be the singles capital of Winnipeg, then hope is fading fast.
It helps to not be single to have sex, even more so, the adventurous type that a relationship "grows into"...

But I'd imagine that some of the business operators of unique specialty shops that embody the persona that floats around osborne have less business acumen than most operations
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I don't know what your point is... sidewalk is wide enough but yes, major roadway and because it's a colourful neighbourhood you get the desired presidents as well as the rougher kind... It's been this way for a while.

I'm not a traffic advocate but one lane absolutely will not work. That's beyond idealistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Osborne is now so low on my list of where to go when looking for an evening out it has become comical. What used to be the unabashed #1 choice barely registers as an option any more. It's sad. Thankfully, there are numerous other terribly interesting locations to go. Movie Village, Fuel Coffee, etc. seem a world away.
There remain many great an interesting stops on osborne. Some close down, others open, perhaps we're in between but there is still plenty to do there and it's always busy on the weekends.

We can complain about Movie Village but all the vintage hipsters in the world can't save it from the netflix era we're in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think traffic is the issue with Osborne. The street through the Village is narrow and relatively slow. I agree that the general environment looks very tired... so much effort has been put into beautifying the Exchange and maybe to a lesser extent West Broadway, yet Osborne Village looks like it's stuck in 1999.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Traffic, and, more to the point, how it dominates the street, is *an* issue on Osborne for sure. The strip is bookended by two stroad-like areas (Confusion Corner to the south, and Osborne north of River) where pedestrians are an afterthought. Generations of city traffic engineers have tried to ram this traffic funnel through Osborne. No new building (or rezoning of existing buildings, I would think) could happen on Osborne without the City taking 10’-15’ off the front of the property for future road widening.

For owners and investors in existing properties, there’s no sense in spending too much on an exterior renovation if the building is just going to be demolished for an extra traffic lane someday. This may explain why Cornerstone Bar at the SW corner of River and Osborne, a great little bar inside, looks like Sage Creek-on-the-cheap on the outside; or why the great old three-storey building at the SE corner of River and Osborne hasn’t been upgraded since sometime before Seinfeld went off the air. In this way, traffic does play a role in the state of not only the street, but the buildings along it. And with vehicle traffic leaving no room in the right of way for trees, planting, benches, etc., the forelorn, crystalized-in-1995 buildings and shopfronts are more visible and tougher to ignore.

Add to this the undeniable fact that Osborne St. is no longer the city’s principle street for cool restaurants, pubs, boutique retail, yuppie housewares, etc. Over the past decade, the Exchange, South Osborne, and Sherbrook have become strong(er) draws for people wanting to wander around and shop, feel cool, or enjoy a nice night out. (Corydon is kind of hanging in there, too, more or less.) And, again, traffic’s domination comes into play: you won’t get splashed with gutter water by a racing bus on McDermot, Sherbrook, or South Osborne streets, but you certainly will on a wet night on the east side of Osborne.

After decades of being the biggest trendy/boutique/hipster/yuppie/whatever game in town, rents on Osborne are too high and many CRUs are too big for the reduced commercial demand. Property owners (mainly a small cabal of tired old holding companies) do not yet realize, or do realize but choose to ignore that this change is going on. And so a healthy transition is stunted, and “for lease” signs hang in dirty storefront windows for a long time. Small wonder most of the great new small businesses to crop up in the Village (Little Sister Coffee, Segovia, Super Deluxe Pizza, Nuburger) are not on Osborne Street.

Meanwhile, the BIZ is carrying on somewhere in the ether like nothing is going on, MIA aside from the occasional misplaced bleating in the news about homeless people.

Osborne Street is in a poor state. I say this not in an “it was cooler when I was younger” way, but as a fairly objective observation. I recently moved into the Village, and there’s many things I love about the neighbourhood, but Osborne Street itself is not one of them.
That's some "9/11 was an inside job" type of shit right there. Winnipeg isn't that obsessed with traffiic. It may be dumb, but it's not like the antichrist will start plowing away facades of what remains a destination in Winnipeg.

The real reason why Cornerstone looks that way? Money. Things are expensive and it's out of their own pocket.

As far as the strip's flaws, there are plenty, but Osborne has always been a little bit about that. It was never supposed to be this super chic super clean little urban hideaway. And buses splash people in every city. Part of the problem is that "the upstairs" is the biggest wasted opportunity... it's an evident departure from the quality and uniqueness of the previous tenants. Even the toad, for all its divey charm, has a decent beer selection amazing whisky and cocktail selection. Any connoisseur can enjoy it if they don't mind noise.

I do however want to know what rents are... by definition, it's a popular entertaining area so rents should be high, yet if you can't fill the space? Lower rents. I don't know if these landlords are holding out for a national group to come in, but chains won't necessarily be drawn to Osborne, not that I'd want them there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan