HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:04 PM

^ Whew

But soon after that was made public, Tim Flanders collapsed near the end of practice with training staff tending to his leg.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 1:39 AM

Typical Bumbers. Losers again! Same old, same old! 27 years and counting, and counting, and counting, and counting .......................................

Last edited by DLLB; Nov 13, 2017 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:09 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Typical Bumbers. Losers again! Same old, same old! 27 years and counting, and counting, and counting, and counting .......................................
I agree. I think the people in Winnipeg built this team up like they were something really special because they were grinding out these wins. And they did deserve them. But it never hid the fact that we have a sub-par defense. Time for some off-season changes and the first to go should be Richie Hall. All season, the Bombers were killed on the long pass and never getting the right coverage. Edmonton exposed that in a big way.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:04 PM

So, the Bombers signed Nik Demski. Guess I'm going to have to go back to hating him...

When he played with the Manitoba Bisons, I hated Demski with a passion because he always seemed to kill the Huskies in their matches. I was very excited with the Riders signed him, as I'd seen first hand the talent the young man possesses. Though he never became a game-to-game starter for the Riders, he did show flashes of his abilities and was a solid Canadian slotback.

Hate to see him in a Bombers jersey, but I think it's a good signing for you guys and I honestly hope he has the opportunity to shine there.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:37 PM

Great Doug Brown article on the sordid Darian Durant situation. Durant turns out to be quite the classless act.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...482563203.html

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:38 PM

The public battles on Twitter are the worst.. Bombers should never have stooped to Durant levels. That being said, what a loser Durant is.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The public battles on Twitter are the worst.. Bombers should never have stooped to Durant levels. That being said, what a loser Durant is.
Whoever is on Bomber twitter should be moved to other duties, because they're handling it with all the maturity and restraint of a junior high kid. A short while ago they lashed out at the Redblacks for something trivial which of course triggered all the other teams to jump on and rub it in. It's embarrassing as a Bomber fan and sadly indicative of the ineptitude which permeates all layers of the organization.

And by ineptitude I mean the supposedly savvy veteran GM who gave a veteran on his last legs $70,000 to sign, which he did before promptly riding off into the sunset leaving the Bombers with one less veteran salary under the cap and without a backup QB.

The more these kinds of blunders go on the more I wonder if we wouldn't be better off following the Ottawa model and just flushing the whole works down the toilet, folding the franchise and starting over again in a couple of years. Because I don't have much faith at this point that this season is going to be any better than last season, or the season before, or the season before, etc.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:04 PM

Did the Bombers actually engage him directly in a twitter war? Regardless, he seems completely okay with taking $70,000 for doing nothing. That hurts CFL teams where money is tight.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:07 PM

Darren Cameron directly engaged Durant, and they went back and forth, on Twitter. Actually quite embarrassing..

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Did the Bombers actually engage him directly in a twitter war? Regardless, he seems completely okay with taking $70,000 for doing nothing. That hurts CFL teams where money is tight.
As much as a douche move as it is, Durant was perfectly within his rights for doing so just as much as teams are within their rights to cut veterans an hour before their bonuses are due.

That said, it's a stupid practice and the CFL needs to do something about it.

But if I'm mad at anyone here, I'm mad at Walters for falling for this.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:26 PM

Off topic from the Durant fiasco, but I have been wondering how the deep playoff run the Jets are having will affect ticket sales for the Bombers. Even if these people are attending a Jets playoff game, going out to a bar ends up costing a decent chunk of change these days. Both Jets and Bombers tend to target fairly similar demographics and if those people are shelling out their entertainment money for the year on the Jets, I feel it might start to influence the bottom line for the Bombers.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Off topic from the Durant fiasco, but I have been wondering how the deep playoff run the Jets are having will affect ticket sales for the Bombers. Even if these people are attending a Jets playoff game, going out to a bar ends up costing a decent chunk of change these days. Both Jets and Bombers tend to target fairly similar demographics and if those people are shelling out their entertainment money for the year on the Jets, I feel it might start to influence the bottom line for the Bombers.
Cripes, with the prices the Jets are charging I wonder if people might look at the Bombers in a whole new light. You can get a decent Bomber season ticket for the price of one nosebleed Jets playoff ticket. Although that said, the entertainment value of a Bomber season ticket is wildly variable even if the sticker price isn't... a 13-5 season could be a lot of fun, 4-14 not so much.

Of course, with all the money being spent on the Jets playoffs it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't have some effect on the Bombers and to a lesser extent, the Goldeyes. But hey, Ottawa had a deep playoff run recently and it didn't seem to hurt the Redblacks at the gate. Winnipeg should also be big enough to support two teams.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Cripes, with the prices the Jets are charging I wonder if people might look at the Bombers in a whole new light. You can get a decent Bomber season ticket for the price of one nosebleed Jets playoff ticket. Although that said, the entertainment value of a Bomber season ticket is wildly variable even if the sticker price isn't... a 13-5 season could be a lot of fun, 4-14 not so much.

Of course, with all the money being spent on the Jets playoffs it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't have some effect on the Bombers and to a lesser extent, the Goldeyes. But hey, Ottawa had a deep playoff run recently and it didn't seem to hurt the Redblacks at the gate. Winnipeg should also be big enough to support two teams.
At least the redblacks had some hype and championship potential to them. Hockey is an easy sell in Canadian markets. It's the football teams that have to prove themselves for people to attend.

Now that the Bombers finally have competition for entertainment dollars in Winnipeg, they have to be providing some sort of hope that they have a chance at a Grey Cup. Even with a decent season last year (12-6) they lost handily in the semi-final, which probably won't help their cause for ticket sales this year. The die-hards will always be there, almost no question about that. It's the fans that are on the fence about spending what could be a night out vs going to the football game.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:09 PM

Kyle Walters has done a downright incredible job building this roster, and in a short period of time. He quickly turned around the mess he was handed – and this one "mistake" (more of bad luck) pales in comparison to the good work he's done. They needed a veteran backup, Durant gave every indication he was coming here, and if we didn't sign him to that deal, no doubt another team would have.

--

On the ticket sales note – I heard from someone internally that season ticket numbers are up almost 3,000 seats compared to this time last year. And I also think the Jets run bodes well for them – Winnipeggers are on a sports high, and with the Bombers having their best roster (on paper) in two decades – things are looking good.

The Goldeyes won the AA Championship this year. Jets have a legit shot at the Stanley Cup. Bombers look poised for a deep run. It's a good time to be a sports fan here.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Kyle Walters has done a downright incredible job building this roster, and in a short period of time. He quickly turned around the mess he was handed – and this one "mistake" (more of bad luck) pales in comparison to the good work he's done. They needed a veteran backup, Durant gave every indication he was coming here, and if we didn't sign him to that deal, no doubt another team would have.
This is going to be his sixth season as GM! (Fifth if you don't want to count the interim year) And they still haven't won a playoff game!

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Yeah, I've heard that argument, but Brown addresses it in the article. When a team cuts a player before a bonus kicks in, it is at least related to the perceived performance of the player before he got cut. Durant got a bonus and walked away without doing anything, and the way he's talking it sounds premeditated.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:38 PM

in terms of players getting signing bonuses in the off season and then failing to report to camp the change should be the player needs to report for their pre-camp physical, or if the team releases them before the start of the season without cause (ie no failed drug tests, no criminal charges pending, etc) the bonus is then payable. No more you sign with no intention of reporting.

The other change I would love to see happen is a player under contract such as Durrant not only cannot go and play with another team in the CFL but also cannot go and accept any job with any team in the CFL without, in this case, the Bombers permission. It is one thing to burn your playing career it is another to burn any chance of employment as a scout, coach, etc. It would also only be in exceptional cases where the "no employment" clause would be used as most players retire in a respectful manner.

--

In terms of the impact of the Jets playoffs on the Bomber season it will most likely be felt in the first half of the seasons especially with walk-up sales and merchandise sales. People are looking for every free nickel in their personal budgets right now to back the Jets and it can't help but pull from the uncommitted dollars.

In terms of Bomber season tickets for the price of a single Jets playoff ticket that isn't exactly correct. I know the season ticket holder Jets price for P6 Stanely Cup final tickets is about the same as a P7 Bombers season ticket.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:43 PM

Winnipeg is getting a pro soccer team of some sort. They will play out of IGF.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4209973/w...h-local-youth/

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of Bomber season tickets for the price of a single Jets playoff ticket that isn't exactly correct. I know the season ticket holder Jets price for P6 Stanely Cup final tickets is about the same as a P7 Bombers season ticket.
A walk-up P6 for the current round is $317+ fees so in the end north of $350. That puts you into P5-P6 Bomber season tickets.

Steve Simmons pointed out on twitter last night that there were about 100 tickets for last night's game that remained unsold on Ticketmaster well into the first period... so the market is hitting a bit of a wall in terms of what it's willing to pay. Of course I'm sure Birchwood Honda or whatever scooped up all those tickets during the second intermission to make it officially a sellout, but the point remains that there are still tickets out there for people to buy.

Personally I'd be willing to pay the STH price for a Jets playoff game if I had the chance, but I'm not ponying up the walk-up prices. I suspect many others feel the same way.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:51 PM

I'm in P6 at BellMTS and paid between $100-$120 per playoff game for my seat. I'm only going to every second game by the way since I split seasons with a buddy. But prices go up each round. It'll be $190 for finals. The walk up prices are crazy and too expensive for Winnipeg. Not many people are willing to pay $350 after fees, nevermind $700 for lower bowl.

Apparently you can walk into the atrium box office during first intermission and get severely reduced prices for remaining tickets. One guy on Twitter noted it's like $100 instead of $300 type of thing. I have been able to go on Ticketmaster game day and get tickets for every single home playoff game this year. I didn't buy any, but I could've.

So yes, one Jets payoff game can most definitely get you seasons at IGF.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan