HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 11:02 PM

I keep going back and looking at these images.

one, as stated above, the digital renderings are remarkable. top shelf stuff. I can't recall aver seeing anything as photorealistic as these.

two, the design is very nice as well. I especially like the office piece. places/time nailed it about fitting in without mimicry. subtle yet powerful. the glass tower is nice, but nothing to write home about. overall, though, it really makes for a very nice project. I would have preferred the courtyard to be a little simpler, but that's a minor quibble.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:11 AM

I thought the same thing about the renderings: wow. The design is also very, very nice. Especially love the brick 5-story building with the cut-outs. I can't believe that there are Pearl residents who oppose this.

I guess firms like LRS and Sera have a pretty good reason not to produce crystal clear renders like this, right?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:38 AM

Ditto. Those renderings look amazing. I'm not sure why they aren't standard by this point. I would also note that this site is in the middle of the pearl and will command premium rents, which is probably why the architects were given a little more leeway in design and construction budget.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:32 AM

Photorealistic renders are extremely time consuming to produce, and therefore expensive. If you're not seeing renders like this on a particular project, it's probably because the developer didn't want to pay for it.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:49 AM

Staff report recommends approval. Design Commission will make a decision on December 18th.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:55 PM
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Ditto. Those renderings look amazing. I'm not sure why they aren't standard by this point.
The renders were done by the Norwegian render company MIR who are known to be one of the best in that business. They have said in interviews they might spend weeks on just one rendering, so yes, the prices are steep.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff report recommends approval. Design Commission will make a decision on December 18th.
Any news on this one?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:35 PM

It's back before the Design Commission on January 22nd. They weren't able to approve it in December because PBOT wasn't in support of one the modifications relating to loading spaces. It looks like the architects have made some changes to satisfy PBOT, so I assume it will be approved next week. Once it's approved—which it will be—it will almost certainly be appealed to the City Council.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:35 AM

According to the DJC ($) Block 136 was approved yesterday.

I'd be amazed if the Preserve the Pearl group didn't immediately appeal it to the City Council.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 7:13 AM
A before E

Quote:
According to the DJC ($) Block 136 was approved yesterday.

I'd be amazed if the Preserve the Pearl group didn't immediately appeal it to the City Council.
I hate groups like this, we should be building taller downtown because it is downtown. Groups like this act like they are trying to preserve single family homes in the suburbs.

Though I did check out the proposed height limit changes and I am excited. 325ft for the north end of Old Town. 460ft/unlimited (seriously?? unlimited??? ) along 4th, 5th, 6th, and Broadway, as well as much of the blocks near Big Pink? 325ft along much of Naito? 325ft for the north end of the West End stretching all the way to the Timbers Stadium?? And North Pearl is marked as unlimited height? Seriously, our tallest building in Portland could one day be in North Pearl?? Also, when are we gonna start planning some serious transit improvements for North Pearl if they expect that area to be a potential towering part of downtown?

That would be so awesome to see Portland take on something this aggressive and really beef up the density of downtown.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/483889

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:28 AM

it still boggles my mind why there are height limits downtown outside of view corridors.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:52 PM

What's really crazy is there are a couple of buildings within two blocks of this project that are just as high as this one is proposed to be! The Asa Flats is just two blocks to the north. Makes no sense.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:58 AM

Block 29 (nearest to the bridge) is slated to be in that PAW range - 500'

Well, max height - and we all know developers rarely max out their height limits in this city. It would be interesting to have a new tallest in that location.

Last edited by Sioux612; Jan 25, 2015 at 9:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Though I did check out the proposed height limit changes and I am excited. 325ft for the north end of Old Town. 460ft/unlimited (seriously?? unlimited??? ) along 4th, 5th, 6th, and Broadway, as well as much of the blocks near Big Pink? 325ft along much of Naito? 325ft for the north end of the West End stretching all the way to the Timbers Stadium?? And North Pearl is marked as unlimited height? Seriously, our tallest building in Portland could one day be in North Pearl?? Also, when are we gonna start planning some serious transit improvements for North Pearl if they expect that area to be a potential towering part of downtown?

That would be so awesome to see Portland take on something this aggressive and really beef up the density of downtown.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/483889
It's actually not as big a change as it might seem - the North Pearl already has unlimited heights, but it's restricted by FAR. Downtown will continue to have a 460' max height, as it does now. The biggest change will be the areas where the 460' max height is allowed, as well as bumping up the heights allowed along the waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:39 AM

Quote:
It's actually not as big a change as it might seem - the North Pearl already has unlimited heights, but it's restricted by FAR. Downtown will continue to have a 460' max height, as it does now. The biggest change will be the areas where the 460' max height is allowed, as well as bumping up the heights allowed along the waterfront.

Can't the FAR formula be changed?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 2:05 AM

Yes, but only to the extent that anything in the Zoning Code can be changed by the City Council.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:56 AM
A before E

Quote:
I think that was the part I was more excited about, there were a number of blocks downtown that had a much lower height limit that made no sense.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 12:50 AM

As predicted, the approval has been appealed to the City Council.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:41 AM

The resistance to this one really baffles me. I think the whole project looks absolutely gorgeous in the renderings and will be a huge improvement to that block.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:23 PM

Resistence

I would put money that the opposition to this building comes from the residents of the Edge Lofts (REI Bldg). Those condos have had a tremendous eastward view for a decade and the prices paid for the condos reflected those views. This new tower will wholly block the eastward view.

I agree with all that it is a tremendous design and will be a great addition to the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland