HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:50 AM

Multicultural dining in Vancouver, B.C. - from a US paper

The Vancouver area has made a strong - and multicultural - beachhead on the culinary map. A dynasty of home-grown chefs has surfaced in British Columbia - men and women who have access to the freshest, finest ingredients the farms and the sea can offer, and they are eager to make their mark. Many have, and more are doing so every year.

In other parts of Canada, with their long and cold winters, the more temperate West Coast is referred to - not without an ounce of envy - as Lotusland. The moniker also refers to the city's tight connection with Asia, which had its beginning with an influx of people from south China more than a century ago and has now spread to include every Asian nationality.
Residents of Lotusland rarely need to push a snow shovel or put chains on their automobile tires. Another reward here is fine food, and like Philadelphia, the city is chock-full of colorful places to dine, including a host of internationally touted restaurants, not to speak of street vendors who sell freshly buttered popcorn to pedestrians sauntering along the beachfront on English Bay.

The most dramatic strength of Vancouver is its Asian diversity. An aficionado of Chinese cooking in San Francisco says, "Chinese food in Vancouver ranks ahead of any North American city and is certainly equal to that of Hong Kong."

Kate Colley Lo of Vancouver Tourism reminds a visitor that the high quality of the food here is due in large part to the respect the Chinese in Vancouver have for fresh ingredients. You can select a fresh fish from the tanks of Asian supermarkets and have it deep-fried while you shop. You can also try the street food in Asian food courts in Richmond, Singaporean curries, Vietnamese pho, Northern Chinese dim sum, ChiuwChow stir-fries, Hong Kong coffee shop specialties or Japanese Yakitori.

In Vancouver, you can easily order a Taiwanese pearl milk tea or head to a Chinese tea shop for a complimentary ginger or ginseng tea (on tap) or be a part of your won private tea ceremony. For the more adventurous, there is even a Chinatown night market where you can brave an exotic snack.
It all falls under the general heading of "West Coast" or "Pacific Northwest" cuisine. Canadians call it "West Coast" and the rest of us call it "Pacific Northwest," grouping British Columbia and Vancouver with Oregon and Washington. Either way, it implies making the most of the freshest and finest local ingredients. And Vancouver has it all in spades.

In all the ink that has been spilled about this inviting city, one salient detail is at times overlooked: the immense variety of restaurants.

The success of Le Gavroche derives from its estimable food, its fashionable situation in a converted Victorian house and a special brand of poise, that form of effortless elegance characterized by a paucity of trappings and an abundance of time. The menu is steeped in the French tradition and is a veritable culinary powerhouse, a collaboration among owner Manuel Ferreira, his chef, local farmers and fishermen. It is also representative of the rise of small plate dining. Think about it over a soup such as apple, zucchini and wild mushrooms. Or pan seared foie gras or truffle flan in an orange compote as appetizers. For entrees, the wild salmon filet Mi-Cuit is perfectly prepared, firm and flaky, and it is served in an anise and orange sauce. The man in the kitchen sears sesame prawns with a wild rice cake for a vibrant contrast.
Watch out for a luscious cassoulette de moules et palourdes, cider steamed mussels and clams with leeks and cream and a memorable Margarita. This is powerfully two-fisted cooking.

And if you're the type who eats meat without putting down your knife, they'll leave a light on in the window for you.

At least once in your life, you must escape to a restaurant such as NU, which blends elegance and sensuality with an enchanting eccentricity. It is sleek, curvaceous and undeniably sexy. Its owners call its cuisine naked and casual. It includes steamed mussels with vermouth, thyme, roasted garlic and pearl onions and frites. Criticizing NU is like analyzing rainbows. Just try to describe the crispy braised pork belly complete with pears, walnuts in a cider vinegar preparation or the navarin of lamb pithvivier with yogurt (minted yet) and roasted vegetables. Locals submit to the sorcery of the resident chef and experience the sensation of having everything that surrounds them perfect. The view from NU feels like your very own private yacht, with close-ups of passing boats and the inevitable seawall bladers. The killer panorama, the minimalist space and a friendly staff make NU a perfect place to unwind.
Eating is not only about consuming food; it is an experience that involves all the senses. Good food makes for a good mood, and combined, they stand for the good life. A dish that is a treat for the palate as well as the eyes is food for the soul, and this city is certainly a destination that soothes the soul.
In the heart of Vancouver's downtown area, the Century Plaza Hotel's Absolute Spa, with Body Buffs and Age Defying Microderm Abrasion as well as a Time Freezing Anti Aging Facial, would be the city's conversation piece were it not for the hotel's tantalizing restaurant, Beyond. It offers a cheery balance of tempered exoticism and Vancouver charm, with a slow braised veal and lamb osso bucco with a white fava and spya bean stew and natural sauces. If you're in the mood, try the hotel's signature whole rack lemon myrtle rubbed whole lamb with braised fennel and seared plum and whipped and fried sweet potato. From its majestic suites, there are panoramic views of Vancouver's oldest areas, such as Gastown, and the stunning harbor.

You need not pack your roller blades to glide through Vancouver's many restaurants at high speed, but take time out for the city's casual happiness. It is so relaxed that every single person who serves you at lunch or dinner will give you a pat on the shoulder and make you feel most welcome. That's what Vancouver and its people are all about.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=43790&rfi=6

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:12 AM
Community Guy

I have as much good food in van as bad....and as much as they are leading edge they have equal if not more numbers of poor ethnic restos.

Personally i think Toronto is better for culinary delights....and mtl too.

Edmonton and calgary are so often overlooked with regards to cuisine, but some of my best meals have been from both cities.

I love eating in van, but find it gets a bit too high of a nod.....mind you comparing it to many US cities i guess it isnt a surprise.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:45 AM

seems to be one of the major things to go on about lately is the food.

and it depends on where in Van too eh?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 10:40 AM

Will trade some Asian restaurants with Seattle for some Mexican.

I bet TO has a better selection as far as Caribbean and African cuisines go.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 11:05 AM

colour ya'll jealous bitches - loves it

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 1:16 PM

Wasn't the winner of Iron Chef from Vancouver (Lumiere)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:21 PM
Community Guy

^yup.....Robert Feenie

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 10:29 PM

I can't say i have ever been a gourmet or go out to eat much in Vancouver restaurants

but there are some regular haunts that are always good - i have never dined out in any other city so i really can't compare the "scene"

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Will trade some Asian restaurants with Seattle for some Mexican.

I bet TO has a better selection as far as Caribbean and African cuisines go.

+1

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 1:25 AM

Unfortunately, Vancouver city does not have the best chinese/east asian eateries, you would have to go to Richmond. It's Darwinism at it best; many, many restaurants trying to get you in with a certain theme/quality of food and inexpensive price. If you know friends that know where to go in Richmond, it's a blast.

Vancouver does have a few great Japanese/Korean places on West Robson/Denman (Gyu, Kintaro Ramen, Kingyo is also great), just follow the hipster foreign language students. Rangoli/Vij's is great - the lack of reservations can be aggrivating though!

Yaletown Brewing Company is just the worst overpriced shit that afflicts downtown!!!!

Last edited by mezzanine; Feb 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 1:54 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Vancouver is paradise for coffee and gelato, its best sushi is the best on this continent, and there are some amazing bakeries there.

But I have to aver that Toronto is better in the food diversity realm. I have yet to find a decent shawarma or pizza slice in Vancouver, and believe me, I've tried, but what's good in Vancouver is very, very good indeed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 2:17 AM
Im smasher000 xD

I think it means Vancouver in general (so richmond, burnaby)

But.. don't forget - we have REALLY good mcdonalds, too

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
...its best sushi is the best on this continent...
Arguably. San Francisco would like a word with you.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 4:16 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Arguably. San Francisco would like a word with you.
Nope, no contest, sushi in SF is not as good and is more expensive for what you get. I prefer Calgary for sushi to SF. Yes, I said it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 5:18 AM
Community Guy

I hate how expensive food is in a normal restaurants in AB versus Van.

greek, chinese, sushi, etc.......easily 25% more expensive in Edmonton and Calgary

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 5:22 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I hate how expensive food is in a normal restaurants in AB versus Van.

greek, chinese, sushi, etc.......easily 25% more expensive in Edmonton and Calgary
AMEN!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Yes, I said it.
Really?

I'll agree that Calgary has way better shawarma and pizza than Vancouver.

but I've I've had better sushi in Mexico City than in Calgary.

Sushi is like espresso, though. It depends as much on when as it does on where.

Last edited by dubiousmike; Feb 8, 2007 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:14 AM

whats shwarma?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:41 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

A middle-eastern dish.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
A middle-eastern dish.
Goes to show Vanners don't have the whole world covered.

Let's not get so smug.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining