HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 4:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Decisions, decisions... Transformation of city's fortunes, image on the line

Decisions, decisions... Transformation of city's fortunes, image on the line

September 05, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/629342

Never in Hamilton's history has there been so much anticipation of great success and risk of gross disappointment.

In the coming months, Hamilton will learn the outcome of three major decisions that could transform the city, both on the ground and in the minds of people far beyond its borders.

If fate favours Hamilton, light rail trains will soar down its streets in a few years, ferrying international athletes past a renovated Copps Coliseum, home of the Coyotes.

Even if one or two of those dreams comes true, Mayor Fred Eisenberger believes it will have a profound impact on the city's future.

"Whenever have we had this level of excitement in Hamilton?" he asks. "These are big, huge opportunities."

Pam Am Games

The decision: Will the Golden Horseshoe win the privilege of hosting the Pan Am Games in 2015?

When: Nov. 4

Who decides: Pan American Sports Organization, 52 votes cast by delegates from 42 nations.

The competition: The southern Ontario bid is up against Lima, Peru, and Bogota, Colombia. Observers expect Toronto 2015 will garner most of the 26 votes from the Caribbean plus get two each from Canada and the United States and a few in Latin America. If the other competitors split the remaining votes, Canada could win on the first ballot.

What's at stake: The city would gain $114 million in new recreation facilities. City council has committed to spend $60 million to build a new stadium and velodrome near the waterfront. Upper levels of government would fund another $54 million. Private investors, such as the Tiger-Cats, could contribute to the project. McMaster University would gain a training pool.

The city also stands to benefit from the international exposure that comes with the Games.

Context: Support for the bid is far from unanimous. Some taxpayers, particularly those hit by recent flooding, want the city to invest in sewers and pipes before sporting facilities. The Freedom Party of Ontario has launched a campaign to kill the bid, arguing multisport games only leave debt and that public funds could be better used.

Quote: "This is not a one-time deal by any stretch of the imagination. I've described it as a party with no hangover."

-- David Peterson, former Ontario premier and chair of the Toronto 2015 bid.

National Hockey League

The decision: Will BlackBerry billionaire Jim Balsillie win his $212.5-million US bid to relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton?

When: As soon as next week.

Who decides: Arizona bankruptcy court Judge Redfield T. Baum.

The competition: Two other bids for the Coyotes franchise are before the court. Ice Edge LLC, a Connecticut-based consortium, is offering $150 million US to keep the team in Phoenix. The NHL put in its own bid for $140 million, with plans to sell the team later.

What's at stake: Balsillie has promised a $150-million makeover of Copps Coliseum. He would put in $30 million, then ask the city to appeal to upper levels of government for additional funding. Taxpayers would also save $5 million a year by handing over full control of its entertainment facilities.

The relocation would help spur significant economic development and downtown renewal.

Context: Hamilton has found itself at the centre of a bitter battle between the NHL and Balsillie. And there's little the city can do but watch from the sidelines. The BlackBerry baron has failed twice to bring a team here. The clock is ticking on his lease agreement on Copps, which expires Oct. 31 or two weeks after a losing court battle, whichever comes first. If the court case goes into overtime -- and the threat of appeals is in the air -- the city will have to decide whether it wants to extend the agreement. Even if another team wants to come here, the Toronto Maple Leafs remain opposed to a competitor in their area.

Quote: "The NHL would bring us up to the major leagues."

-- Gabe Macaluso, former CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc.

Light rail transit

The decision: Will Metrolinx pick light rail transit or rapid buses for Hamilton and how much funding will they commit?

When: Expected in November.

Who decides: Metrolinx board, 15 members including Hamilton airport's Richard Koroscil and Mohawk president Rob MacIsaac.

Competition: Hamilton's proposal for rapid transit is just one of nine transit projects in the GTA looking for funding. There's a limited pot of money left as Metrolinx has already committed $9 billion of its $11.5 billion in startup funds.

What's at stake: Hamilton wants to build 16 kilometres of rapid transit from Eastgate Mall to McMaster University. The city would prefer light rail over rapid buses. The system would cost an estimated $650 million, but promises more than $1 billion in economic and community spinoffs.

Context: No one knows how much government funding will be offered to the city if Metrolinx approves light rail for Hamilton. City council will be forced to decide how much money local taxpayers should invest in the system at a time when money is already tight.

The proposal could position Hamilton, notorious for its car culture, as a transit leader. It would also change the city's one-way main streets.

Staff plan to recommend converting Main and King streets to two-way traffic in order to make way for rapid transit on King. Some businesses are already worried about the impact in tight corridors.

Quote: "It's seen as transformational, a way to bring about the change Hamiltonians are looking for."

-- Scott Stewart, former head of public works.

Compiled by Nicole MacIntyre, The Hamilton Spectator

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
Needs more coffee...

My guess is we'll end up one for three - likely Light Rail or Pan Am. I hope it's light rail.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 3:44 AM

I hate to say it, but if we don't get either LRT or the hockey team, I don't see myself living in Hamilton in a couple years from now.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 5:37 AM
Hammer'd

I think it's a very safe bet to say that we'll be getting light rail. No clue about Pan Am or hockey though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 1:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Excellent chance for 2 out of 3. The NHL is anyone's guess.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 6:59 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I hate to say it, but if we don't get either LRT or the hockey team, I don't see myself living in Hamilton in a couple years from now.
It's funny because my decision where I'd like to live is truely based upon these decisions as well...It may be somewhere smaller but it's like a "you blew your chance to convince me" kinda thing lol

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 7:10 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Cynic - "Oh come on, we get shafted for everything, it's never gonna happen...it's Hamilton, we're the butt of every joke"

Fascist - "This was a better idea back in the 80's when we had a better chance"

Optimist - "I know we've been shut out a hockey team 18 times but I'm feeling it this year...we have so much potential for economic spur!"

I've heard it all... so may November be a wet dream or an on going nightmare for the 500,000 of us

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
join the club

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:05 PM

Probly 2 for 3. I don't expect the NHL issue to be settled this year, so no hockey team... yet.

Once you look at the stats and facts coming out of cities that have impletemented an LRT system properly, you have to be brain dead to pick BRT over LRT in my opinion.

In 2015 my son will be 6 years old. I would imagine that by then the economy will be picking up quite nicely or at a minimum, no longer lurching along like a zombie. This will be an awsome once in a life time event to take my boy to see some world class athletes competing in a brand new stadium packed to the rafters. Awsome.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:08 PM

Oh, and I'm with adam. If we go 0 for 3 on these issues, I'm prepared to pull shute and bail out of this myopic city at the first chance I get.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
Oh, and I'm with adam. If we go 0 for 3 on these issues, I'm prepared to pull shute and bail out of this myopic city at the first chance I get.
In fairness, these decisions are largely out of the city's hands.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:51 PM

time vs cost

I would love to see a new stadium, but to be packed to the rafters how often. Ivor Wynne was built in the 20s and as for packed this week end labour day classic was the first time it sold out since 1995.
A friend out west in BC says that the upcoming winter Olympics has been great for infrastructure with new roads and transit but the real winners are the Condo owners at Whisler and a basic condo is going for over a million. Sounds like the new version for a Aspen ski scene. Escape for the rich and famous.
There was a good letter to the edditor today in the spec. Don't tranform Gore Park, just make it more attractive to the type of cliente you want.
Huge projects now adays are just big profit for studies, consultations and delays. So it is not the bricklayers that profits greatly just the layers of bureauacy and paper pushers.
To just build it anything would be great but the legal delays cost $$$$$$$
LRT is or should be the priority and see what comes next.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 2:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
I would love to see a new stadium, but to be packed to the rafters how often. Ivor Wynne was built in the 20s and as for packed this week end labour day classic was the first time it sold out since 1995.
Since 2005.

The proposed location for the stadium will be near Dundurn Park, so it'll be even better for the Labour Day game, poeple from the parade can walk up to the stadium from the Park.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 3:14 PM

Ok

Sorry typo or bad eyes only missed by 10 yrs, but still once every 4 yrs. I like the new location but do you think the parade would be much of a factor. The parade, there were 8000 at the parade and 3000 at the BBQ lunch. So how many would or could have gone to game and what is wrong with the HSR and an organized shuttle from Dundurn park. Scott park had quite a few there.
I am all for the city and renewed growth. but we need to go back to basics and tie the downtown into the businesses and draw people to the core. If more lived in the core they could walk to Copps for hockey and the new stadium for soccer or football.
I was in the nose bleeds row 51 and the rivets are rotted thru the fibreglass.
So no venues for the butts and no butts in the seats no money in the coffers.
We need parking and space so maybe a huge rock concert or two. halifax had a 8 band concert for a day for $75 and it was packed.
Just think TO people using GO to come to our concerts. Skydome would suffer or get more realistic.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 1:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

X National Hockey League
? Pam Am Games
? Light rail transit

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 3:11 PM
Closed account

NHL - I'm not giving up. I think there's a sense of inevitability, although it will take a few years.

PanAm games - Would be nice, but not make or break.

LRT - this one is make or break. If we don't get LRT, I'll have to go back on my meds as moving is not an option.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 3:31 PM
Concerned Citizen

NHL - my heart says eventually it will happen, but then my brain reminds me this is Hamilton and the NHL does not want anything to do with this city.

Pan Ams - yes only because it's Toronto

LRT - not going to happen, we will get bus service. Why, because this is Hamilton and we only ever get the stuff nobody else wants from upper levels of government.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 4:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

If Chicago wins it's Olympic bid tomorrow it'll give our Pan Am bid a huge boost.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
NHL - my heart says eventually it will happen, but then my brain reminds me this is Hamilton and the NHL does not want anything to do with this city.

Pan Ams - yes only because it's Toronto

LRT - not going to happen, we will get bus service. Why, because this is Hamilton and we only ever get the stuff nobody else wants from upper levels of government.
I am curious, purely from the utility perspective, what are the disadvantages of an express bus service, as opposed to LRT? I think LRT is sexy, but does it give enough bang for the buck, compared to long buses running on dedicated or partially dedicated lanes? Why are tracks a must?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
I am curious, purely from the utility perspective, what are the disadvantages of an express bus service, as opposed to LRT? I think LRT is sexy, but does it give enough bang for the buck, compared to long buses running on dedicated or partially dedicated lanes? Why are tracks a must?
This has been discussed at great length on the rapid transit and future of hamilton transit threads. If you want to know more, go to the hamilton light rail website and RTH. However, here a few articles to get you started:

http://hamiltonlightrail.com/article...er_than_buses/

http://hamiltonlightrail.com/article...urban_revival/

http://hamiltonlightrail.com/article...ke_light_rail/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion