HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 10:34 PM
World Machine

There are still some things to play out; this will certainly be interesting.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 1:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, that other hoped for reclad doesn't seem likely at this point...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...3zXcROZPoeB62K

Quote:
The former Verizon Building downtown at 375 Pearl St. is finally being formally marketed by Darcy Stacom and Bill Shanahan at CB Richard Ellis, Crain's reported.

All year, mortgage holder M&T Bank had been informally pitching it to some of its clients.

M&T also negotiated a friendly hand-over agreement with Taconic Partners, which had paid $172.5 million in 2007 for a 76 percent stake along with Square Mile Capital.

Taconic had hoped to find an office tenant and re-skin the white building with a proper curtain wall, but the location turned off corporate tenants.

The building shadows One Police Plaza and is across the Brooklyn Bridge underpass from Pace University.

The face loan was $110 million and M&T hopes to get at least that much if not more for what would be over 1 million square feet on a rentable basis and using a market loss factor -- or about $110 a foot.

According to Stacom: "This could be the deal that people look back on and feel it got away. It has a robust infrastructure and could be a phenomenal buy." Stay tuned.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 2:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...rcle-has-plans

The King of Columbus Circle Has Plans

By Zeke Turner
November 30, 2010

Quote:
On Nov. 15, Stephen Ross, chairman of the Related Companies and owner of the Miami Dolphins, strode into Room 238 of the New York State Supreme Court, four minutes after litigation over 3 Columbus Circle was slated to begin. A dozen lawyers waited around a square table in the center of the room, rattling gold watches and eyeing stacks of documents thicker than phone books. A dusty desk and three side-by-side metal filing cabinets sat in the corner next to three large windows dressed in crooked French blinds.

Mr. Ross swept past his opponent, Joe Moinian, the building's owner and chairman of his own development firm, sitting upright on a front-row bench closer to the entrance. A big knot in Mr. Moinian's baby-blue silk tie hugged his neck. Mr. Ross sat down on a bench of his own, front and center, and crossed his legs, knees stacked. "Mr. Ross, I haven't seen you in years," said Judge Charles Ramos from the other side of the room. His robe hung open below his bow tie. "It's like an old-folks home."

The city's most powerful developer grinned and arched his eyebrows. "Thank you," Mr. Ross said. A black ribbed sock and black hand-sewn leather loafer with tassels dangled from below the right cuff of his navy pinstriped suit. His plan to take over Mr. Moinian's building by controlling the debt is unusual for Mr. Ross, but Columbus Circle is his home turf: He keeps a condo and office in the Time Warner Center, which Related co-developed after helping demolish Robert Moses' Coliseum. Knocking down Mr. Moinian's building could be the next step in remaking the area.

But at 3 Columbus Circle, Mr. Ross owns only the $250 million mortgage, which collects $70,000 in interest every day. After Mr. Moinian stopped making payments in January, Mr. Ross and his financier, Deutsche Bank German American Capital Corporation, accelerated the mortgage, demanding full payment and an additional $54 million as a prepayment penalty. It was the first step toward foreclosure and taking the building away from Mr. Moinian, who has already seen his 20 million-square-foot empire shrink during the Great Recession (Barclays Capital seized 475 Fifth Avenue from Mr. Monian and a partner in 2009).

Mr. Ross appeared on CNBC's Squawk Box on Sept. 10 to talk about the real estate market and the Dolphins alongside Richard LeFrak. Mr. Ross' picture floated onscreen above the title "KING OF COLUMBUS CIRCLE."

"We bought a note on a property that was kind of adjacent to Time Warner Center," he told the show's host, Carl Quintanilla, just after noon. "We saw that there was a higher and better use and we bought the note hoping to do something there." CNBC cut to B-roll of 3 Columbus Circle with the Moinian Group's "M" logo on the scaffolding in clear view.

When Mr. Moinian bought the building, a homely red-brick tower built in the 1920s at 1775 Broadway for General Motors, for $130 million in 2000, it was mostly full. Newsweek kept offices there until 2009. Before credit dried up, Mr. Moinian began a bold plan to raise the building's profile, investing $175 million for renovations, including a fresh sheath of glass. He changed the name to 3 Columbus Circle and raised asking rents.

It's not the ugliest building in the area, but the glass, which catches the reflection of Lord Norman Foster's Hearst Tower across the street, isn't fooling anyone. According to media reports, Mr. Ross would like to demolish Mr. Moinian's tower and replace it with one designed by a famous architect; he is planning to move the city's first Nordstrom's to retail space on the lower floors to anchor the tower, and fill the upper floors with 140 condominiums; and the company began shopping for architects in September. Related declined to comment.

"It's just not something that I think a lender should be saying," Stephen Meister, Mr. Monian's lawyer, told The Observer over the phone on Monday. Mr. Ross has stipulated that any new tenant in the building would have to agree to a six-month demolition clause with no provision for reimbursement.

Between Mr. Moinian's raising rent in the building and the lenders' attempts to scare off new tenants, 3 Columbus Circle is now less than 20 percent occupied. On Monday, a leasing advertisement on the building's black scaffolding read, in big white letters, "contiguous block of up to 650,000 RSF"—that's in a 770,000-square-foot building. From CNN's 10th-floor cafeteria across the street in the Time Warner Center on Monday afternoon, The Observer counted four construction workers painting sealant around a drain and installing glass sheathing on the fourth-floor balcony—perhaps dutifully polishing the Titanic's banister.

In court earlier this month, Mr. Meister, a litigator's litigator wearing a dark pinstriped suit that offset his razorback brown hair, told Judge Ramos that he wants to perform what he calls "a Ross-ectomy." There was hushed laughter. The judge slouched and gazed through half-moon spectacles at the tip of his nose.

"It's not that there are bad vibes," Mr. Meister continued later.

Judge Ramos was amused: "Bad vibes?"

"It's that there is a cancer in the building!" Mr. Meister bellowed on from a podium next to the lawyers' table. "I have to get rid of Mr. Ross. I have to get rid of Mr. Ross, O.K.? I have got the money; he's right here." Mr. Meister slapped his right hand down on the shoulder of a plump man in a gray suit sitting at his hip. The only way that Mr. Moinian can take the scalpel to Mr. Ross is by paying off his $250 million mortgage.

The gray suit was a representative for SL Green, the publicly traded real estate company, run by Marc Holliday, that controls more than 30 percent of the office space in Manhattan. Mr. Holliday agreed in October to help Mr. Moinian refinance the building as part of a joint venture.

The biggest sticking point for Mr. Moinian is the $54 million prepayment penalty. Lawyers for both sides spent the majority of the 63 minutes in court arguing over the language that describes it in the mortgage document. Do 10 words between two commas on page 99—"provided that the Loan has not been accelerated by Lender," which it has been—modify the words ahead of the first comma or behind the second? And so on.

Halfway through the hearing, Judge Ramos examined the documents in front of him, head in chin, and sighed. He pushed his glasses up his nose. There was silence for one minute and 15 seconds as he stared at the mortgage. At the back of the room, an executive sitting to Mr. Ross' right wrapped his arm over the developer's shoulder and began whispering in his ear. Mr. Ross stared down at his dangling right loafer and nodded gently. At the end of the silence, Judge Ramos scratched his head and read the clause aloud. "... And then there's a comma."

"I am not going to try to argue with your logic," the judge said, "but I have to deal with the document as written."

Later, when discussion of existing examples of foreclosure practice came to a head, Mr. Meister gently hip-checked the skinnier Mark Walfish, Deutsche Bank and Related's lawyer, away from the podium to get a point in. Mr. Walfish was not amused: "Judge, this is great—this is like The Jerry [Springer] Show."

"I want to talk to the two of you in the back," the judge said. Mr. Meister continued to press his point forward. "In the back, right now!" The lawyers followed the judge out of the room.

Twenty minutes later, the lawyers emerged from the judge's chambers. "I need Joe. Is Joe here?" called Mr. Meister. Mr. Moinian and Mr. Ross, still yet to acknowledge each other, returned with their lawyers to see the judge. Twenty minutes later, they left without a word.

Nothing was settled.

On Nov. 24, the day before Thanksgiving, a representative for Mr. Meister's office dropped off at the State Supreme Court a Bank of America cashier's check signed by SL Green Management for $258,550,838.52. The numbers run to the edge of the paper. If Mr. Ross picks up the check by Dec. 6, the dispute is over and Mr. Moinian will have a new financier. If they leave the check in the court's vault, litigation over the prepayment penalty will continue, with Mr. Ross losing more than $70,000 in interest daily.

Nobody has any idea what Mr. Ross' next move will be.

"By the way, why would any lender turn that down?" Mr. Meister asked The Observer, referring to an earlier offer turned down by the lenders that included the prepayment penalty in escrow. "Think about that! Why would any lender whose real goal is to get repaid turn that down? That proves that they're predatory! The only reason to turn that down is because they want to steal the building. That's the only reason, O.K.?"

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:07 PM
BANNED

It would be a great Chaunukah gift to NY if Ross does not take the money and proceeds with the foreclosure. Hopefully, Ross will be a mensch.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well I guess it's not over just yet...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Ross has chutzpah. If it's his legal right to foreclose, which it may very well be if Moinian is outside of the cure period, he will demand his pound of flesh.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Personally, I would be happier if Ross took his chutzpuh back down to the Garden, and convinced Cablevision to move so he could tear it down and build his "Time Warner Center on a much, grander scale" there. Now that would be impressive.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 5:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

Here here.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Personally, I would be happier if Ross took his chutzpuh back down to the Garden, and convinced Cablevision to move so he could tear it down and build his "Time Warner Center on a much, grander scale" there. Now that would be impressive.
That would be ideal, but, obviously, he has no legal rights in MSG. The Dolans have equal chutzpah.

I want to see him take Moinian's pound of flesh!

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Dec 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I want to see him take Moinian's pound of flesh!
To do what, put up yet another 700 footer? Maybe a couple of hundred foot or more, and I would be more excited about that prospect. I'm more interested in what Extell has planned accross the street. That one has the potential to be something more exciting, but that's not guaranteed.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 2:03 PM
BANNED

This tower will be taller than 700 feet. Ross said it would be taller than TWT which is 750 feet tall. Moreover, in the midst of his lawsuit with Moinian, he's not going to advertise that he plans to build a 950 tower next to Central Park and generate a firestorm of NIMBY protests.

Moinian ruined what was a beautiful building, and I want to see that pile of junk razed.

That being said, I agree that Extell's site at 225 W 57th will be magnificent, and I look forward to learning more about it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:01 PM
don't *meddle*...

225 W 57th Street is the most promising site for a future supertall if you ask me. and btw the TWT is 861ft tall (by roof).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Sorry -- I meant TWC (i.e., Time Warner Center).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Moinian ruined what was a beautiful building, and I want to see that pile of junk razed.
They could always take off the glass.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 2:06 PM
BANNED

Sadly, the beautiful columns at the base have been destroyed.

I assume that Ross has not picked up the funds that Moinian deposited with the court. Presumably, there would have been a news report if he had.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 2:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
This tower will be taller than 700 feet.
It would still be a 700 footer...

Quote:
Related Companies, bought the $250 million mortgage on the property in September, intending to foreclose on the owner, demolish the building and erect a sleek skyscraper slightly taller than his 750-foot, two-towered Time Warner Center.

Danielle Osfalg

orijinal

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 4:04 PM
BROOKLYN

I'm still in awe as to why they recladded that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It would still be a 700 footer...

Related Companies, bought the $250 million mortgage on the property in September, intending to foreclose on the owner, demolish the building and erect a sleek skyscraper slightly taller than his 750-foot, two-towered Time Warner Center.
I recall that quote. However, as I said, in the midst of litigation, Ross would not foolishly state that he's building a 950 foot tower. Such an incendiary statement would create enormous opposition to the project.

Furthermore, TWC is probably close to -- if not slightly over -- 800 feet when the crown is included.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 12:21 AM

I think the re-clad looks cool. why are they tacking this down?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
but we may be getting another supertall!
yeah, as if new york needs another supertall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive