HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 8:50 PM
Perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakau2007 View Post
As for the tall boxes with balconies... with the climate that Miami offers, you aren't going to get rid of balconies. That's what people want. And despite what people are saying, there are TONS of interesting buildings recently completed, under construction, and proposed. The explosive number of towers that have gone up in the same "era" are going to mean a lot of similar styles and designs because that is what is popular at the time. If only 10 of these towers had been built instead of several hundred up and down the coast, I don't think people would be complaining about their architecture or design. The reality is that Miami has some of the best and coolest buildings in the world being built. Certainly in North America.
Reality and your opinion about Miami having "some of the best and coolest buildings in the world being built" have nothing to do with one another.

If you truly think that, then you are not paying attention to architecture around the world. It does not hold true for only North America either.

Suggested correction: The reality is that Miami has some of the best and coolest buildings in Florida being built.

I would agree with that.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch View Post
Reality and your opinion about Miami having "some of the best and coolest buildings in the world being built" have nothing to do with one another.

If you truly think that, then you are not paying attention to architecture around the world. It does not hold true for only North America either.

Suggested correction: The reality is that Miami has some of the best and coolest buildings in Florida being built.

I would agree with that.
Echo Brickell
Porsche Design Tower
Muse
Faena Forum
Miami Museum of Science

I could list a dozen or so more all of which are unique and the list cannot be matched by very many cities in the world, much less ones of Miami's size.

And just because a building is a big box with balconies doesn't mean it can't have some really awesome character. Like Solitair Brickell, for instance.

You could easily argue that Miami has the best buildings going up in North America right now. I think New York City might have it edged out, but other than that, is there anything even close? Have you seen Houston, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia, etc?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 12:08 AM
Perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakau2007 View Post
Echo Brickell
Porsche Design Tower
Muse
Faena Forum
Miami Museum of Science

I could list a dozen or so more all of which are unique and the list cannot be matched by very many cities in the world, much less ones of Miami's size.

And just because a building is a big box with balconies doesn't mean it can't have some really awesome character. Like Solitair Brickell, for instance.

You could easily argue that Miami has the best buildings going up in North America right now. I think New York City might have it edged out, but other than that, is there anything even close? Have you seen Houston, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia, etc?
It's a difference of opinion, and that is fine. Like I stated earlier, there are some decent (even good) designs to be found in the Miami boom of the past decade, but for the most part, the newer buildings bore the hell out of me. When the arguably two best design standouts on the skyline are from the 1980s (Centrust and Southeast Financial Ctr... or whatever they're called now)... that tells you something about the quality of design from 2000 to present, particularly with such a massive building spree... although I will admit the condo designs are greatly improving.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:07 PM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:15 PM

38 Story Office Tower Proposed at 888 Brickell Ave

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...rickell-avenue

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Excellent! Miami needs more of this, and less white painted concrete balconies.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch View Post
Cool photo... but condo towers... snooze.
Well not everyone can live in a "Starchitect" tower but people do have to live somewhere in the city.
At least Miami doesn't look as horrible as Hong Kong's monolithic Condo / apartment towers right ?

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hong...s-46464122.jpg

http://www.ejinsight.com/wp-content/...e5-692x360.jpg

https://eliinbar.files.wordpress.com...f-dscf6020.jpg

or horrible Vancouver also !

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5463/3...992c9d65_h.jpg

It's funny how people on this forum just disregard high rise residentials as if they aren't worthy of attention unless it's a spectacular design.

Most US cities don't even have highrise residential buildings in their downtowns hence the vertical office park effect and they close down at 5 PM every business day.

I won't apologize for Miami's "white painted concrete balconies" at least there is life in the city :

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8464/2...156a01f1_h.jpg

Even at night !

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7300/2...fe71a80e_b.jpg

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 9:08 PM
Perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Well not everyone can live in a "Starchitect" tower but people do have to live somewhere in the city.
At least Miami doesn't look as horrible as Hong Kong's monolithic Condo / apartment towers right ?

or horrible Vancouver also !
I actually very much like Miami's skyline... just want to see some better design come from this decade-long building boom. As I said, there is some decent-to-good design, but a lot is just not my cup of tea.

And yes, much much better than those examples from HK. I don't think Vancouver's is horrible, but yes, many of the same condo bldgs. over and over again on the water there. The scale, density, and setting in Vancouver all help to make up for some of the samey-ness in design, in my opinion, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
It's funny how people on this forum just disregard high rise residentials as if they aren't worthy of attention unless it's a spectacular design.

Most US cities don't even have highrise residential buildings in their downtowns hence the vertical office park effect and they close down at 5 PM every business day.

I won't apologize for Miami's "white painted concrete balconies" at least there is life in the city :
I won't go so far as to say 'spectacular' design... I just hope for good design... and a large chunk of Miami's big condo towers don't fit that description for me, and are just pretty bland to me. Like I said previously, it's very telling that the city's new tallest is utterly boring and "designed" by a nobody architect. I'm happy the Hadid tower will make it's mark and that there are other projects that will add some architectural significance to the skyline.

As far as most US cities not having high rise residential in their downtowns... most actually do have them... though of course most do not have them like Miami does, because Miami is a tourist city and condo construction has been a big part of the area's economy for 4+ decades now. Don't get ahead of yourself with the claims about most other cities closing down at 5pm... that's just ignorant if you believe that to be true. And it's not like downtown Miami is some incredibly vibrant 24/7 urban hotspot... it's still not, at least when one compares it to many other cities in the US, especially large US cities/metro area hubs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 1:53 PM

Panorama Tower Reaches 67th Floor

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...hes-67th-floor

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 2:25 AM

Stunning tower (Aston Martin Residences) coming to Miami. www.thenextmiami.com

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:02 PM

Square Station About To Go Vertical

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...to-go-vertical

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 2:04 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 2:05 PM

Views From the 67th Floor of Panorama Tower

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...panorama-tower

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:06 PM

1010 Brickell Construction Progress Photos

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...rogress-photos

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Eastside Ridge Special Area Plan Could Add 2,800 Units In Little Haiti

Quote:
The owner of the Design Place apartment complex in Little Haiti is proposing to redevelop the property with a Special Area Plan under the Miami 21 zoning code.

The SAP proposal calls for:

2,798 residential units
418 hotel rooms
283,798 square feet of retail
97,103 square feet of office
4,636 parking spaces
SVP Realty of New York owns the property and submitted the proposal. Kobi Karp is the architect.

Miami’s UDRB will review the plans on December 21.

========================
NXT

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:56 PM

December 2016 in Brickell U/C .......

https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/223/31...4b04bbf6_h.jpg

L to R : Echo Brickell | Panorama Tower | 1010 Brickell

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Amazing shot. Echo Brickell still has 10-15 stories left, no?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Amazing shot. Echo Brickell still has 10-15 stories left, no?

As of a month ago Echo was at 48 stories with another 12 stories to go.

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...rogress-photos

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Eastside Ridge Special Area Plan Could Add 2,800 Units In Little Haiti

========================
NXT
Hey Chris, can you tell me what streets is that? Is that Biscayne Blvd? I can't remember where it is. I can look Google Earth and is that where the old house or something like that.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 1:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hey Chris, can you tell me what streets is that? Is that Biscayne Blvd? I can't remember where it is. I can look Google Earth and is that where the old house or something like that.
It's on the corner of 2nd Avenue and 54th Street. Due to the layout, the property is crossed by 51st to 53rd Street. So depending on the location, its on 2nd Avenue +/- (51st to 53rd). Right next to Biscayne Boulevard as well.

The developer wants to upzone and develop an existing property into something much larger.

Check the rendering, and you can see the streets that are within the property (51st to 53rd). In the rendering though, your looking from the North East to the South, downtown in the distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations