HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:52 PM
I am a typical

My neighbourhood has half a dozen used furniture places, and not only is it better quality, it's less expensive too. One place down the street had a dining room set going for less than $85. Try and find that at Ikea.

Or you could make your own furniture, which is not only likely cheaper in the long run, but you'll be more proud of it. And it will be unique.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

^Making your own (properly) does take some skill...and I'm sure you can get a dining room set at Ikea for $85, you might have to blow it up, but I'm sure they have it :-)

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
For those interested, I have recently learned that Ikea owns land just east of the Waverley Auto Mall. Roll # 03-065042800 maybe (just a guess)? Does this mean we are getting an Ikea? No, it just means they own land here.

Unless there is an inside deal going on here (like the Aboriginal Government House by Polo Park) i believe this property under that roll # is owned by Manitoba Hydro - as of today. Sorry for any bubble bursting.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Unless there is an inside deal going on here (like the Aboriginal Government House by Polo Park) i believe this property under that roll # is owned by Manitoba Hydro - as of today. Sorry for any bubble bursting.
What bubble would you be bursting? I just said it was a guess. It could be the one beside that one. I don't know. I just heard it was east of the Waverley Auto Mall. Hate to burst your bubble for thinking you bursted a bubble!

Hmmmmm, all that talk about bubbles. Think I'll have a beer!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 8:49 PM
What could go wrong?

^Nothing directed at you my friend, i was just stating that incase anyone was going to bet their life savings that this was a done deal - that i hated to burst anyones bubble. I had heard that rumour before too. I just commented on the fact that that roll # was not owned by IKEA. I know the large property east of the Hydro property in question is owned by Hopewell Developments out of Calgary. They are the ones behind Kenaston common. They are putting in another almost half a million sq ft of commercial and light industrial space in. There is a possibility that IKEA might go there but....

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
^Nothing directed at you my friend....
No worries! Went out and had a Heineken, followed by a glass of red wine for dinner. I hear a half full bottle of red wine calling my name again tonight!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 11:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
No worries! Went out and had a Heineken, followed by a glass of red wine for dinner. I hear a half full bottle of red wine calling my name again tonight!!!
have a toast to the future of this city while yer at it

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 9:27 PM
Closed account

The site was chosen some time ago (and it isn't the Waverley Auto Mall) and detailed plans have been drawn up. I've seen them. The local developer trying to coordinate this has been working like crazy to pull it together. That is all I'll say.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:34 PM

^ can you at least tell us a quandrant of the city....please not transcona!!!!

boy would they make a great statement by locating in the core of the city, but they need a large footprint.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:36 PM

an article about IKEA in today's free press about there environmental practice.

WHEN Duha Color Services became a supplier of paint chips to Ikea stores, the Swedish retailing and furniture making giant came to Winnipeg to do an audit.

Duha's logistics manager, Ian Seunarine, figured it would be a conventional assessment of their supply chain management system, but was surprised that what Ikea wanted to audit was Duha's social and environmental practices.

"Ikea does these audits and makes recommendation that they expect their suppliers to meet," said Seunarine. "But Duha is in good shape and they made no recommendations for us."

The example shows that social issues like environmental sustainability are becoming as important as just-in-time product supply when it comes to supply chain management.

Seunarine said he does not believe Duha, a supplier of paint chips to global paint companies, is particularly proactive in the area. "We just look at it as doing out job," he said.

At the fourth annual Supply Chain Connections conference in Winnipeg on Tuesday, supply chain professionals focused on work that is going on to transfer expertise built up in the private sector to the not-for-profit sector.

Paul Larson, director of the Tranasport Institute and head of the supply chain management department of the I.H. Asper School of Business at the University of Manitoba, along with Ron McLaughlin, a professor at the school, are working on a research project on humanitarian logistics in conjunction with the head of a Finnish humanitarian group.

"In a nutshell," Larson said, "there is all sorts of expertise developed to do business logistics well. For instance, Wal-Mart runs a cracker-jack logistics operation. We are looking to see if best practices can be brought to bear in the non-profit sector."

He said that Wal-Mart is motivated by profit to increase the efficiencies of its supply chain. But organizations like the International Red Cross, while social in its focus, are also mindful of economics.

"It is a matter of emphasis and balance between the social and the economic," Larson said.

Donald Shropshire, national director of disaster services for the Canadian Red Cross, said it has made plenty of progress in that field over the last 10 years.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
The site was chosen some time ago (and it isn't the Waverley Auto Mall) and detailed plans have been drawn up. I've seen them. The local developer trying to coordinate this has been working like crazy to pull it together. That is all I'll say.
Sorry, I still believe my contact. Unless you can prove it to me otherwise (more than just "take my word for it"). In the end, you may end up being right. But I just have no reason to believe you over someone who works in the leasing industry.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Were these detailed plans drawn up for IKEA or for a developer trying to lure IKEA to Winnipeg?

Most recently built IKEA locations are pretty cookie cutter so plans seem pretty redundant.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:26 PM
Closed account

^ Yes, they provide all the necessary design details for their stores, but that still has to be incorporated into a site and land use plan here. If it happens, it probably won't be stand alone either, but part of a larger retail and possibly residential development. There is traffic, access, servicing, zoning, etc. that all has to be worked out here at the local end by planners and engineers working for the local developer in cooperation with those blue store guys. It's complex, the financials are complex, and the economic climate is more uncertain now as well.

RAFS, I don't take it personally. Many have speculated about this. I posted last year that an announcement was expected first or second quarter this year. I'll stick with that timeframe.

Last edited by fengshui; May 14, 2008 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:26 PM
surely you agree with me

kenaston and mcgillivray....south of the co-op gas bar.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:30 PM
the first stamp is free

^ there can't be enough space in that lot for the new IKEA's? They are freaking huge!
Unless of course they want to put in a scaled down version, or maybe just a mail order desk...

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
kenaston and mcgillivray....south of the co-op gas bar.

That property is still currently owned by Walmart. They are holding is for a potential Sam's Club or Walmart Super Centre. Unless there again is some kind of back door deal i would doubt this is a potential location.

Last edited by Biff; May 14, 2008 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:06 AM
surely you agree with me

its actually owned by fairweather properties....

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
its actually owned by fairweather properties....

....there must be lots of organizational layers here then because CB Richard Ellis is the acting leasing company for the property. I don't 100 % know how the real estate game works but they confirmed Walmart as the owner (tenant?). I actually have confirmation from Walmart Canada that they still own?? that property for a future project.

I'm not trying to argue with you here Vike, i am just trying to clear up any potential misconceptions. As i said above about my lack of knowledge on how commercial real estate works, you may also be right about Fairweather being involved somehow.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 7:01 PM

Quote:
....there must be lots of organizational layers here then because CB Richard Ellis is the acting leasing company for the property. I don't 100 % know how the real estate game works but they confirmed Walmart as the owner (tenant?). I actually have confirmation from Walmart Canada that they still own?? that property for a future project.

I'm not trying to argue with you here Vike, i am just trying to clear up any potential misconceptions. As i said above about my lack of knowledge on how commercial real estate works, you may also be right about Fairweather being involved somehow.
My understanding is that either Fairweather or Walmart (First Professional?) would be the property owner and CB Richard Ellis the leasing agent. Fairweather I think is Michael Nozick who also owns Madison Square and a bunch of other strip mall shite. Nozick is also a FOM. I can see Fairweather being Ikea's developer but not Walmart.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 12:44 AM

IKEA in Winnipeg? This rumour manages to pop up like clockwork every year or so. Ain't gonna happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan