¥ ¥ ¥

Big city mayors ready to push urban agenda

Quote:
Canada's big city mayors ready to push urban agenda

Elizabeth Church, JEFF LEWIS, FRANCES BULA, Joe Friesen, LES PERREAUX,
The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Feb. 01 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Last updated Monday, Feb. 02 2015, 3:39 PM EST

Canada’s big city mayors are starting the new year with a renewed effort to put urban issues on the national agenda. The leaders of the country’s 22 largest municipalities gather in Toronto this week in a bid to lay out their priorities and frame the political debate ahead of the upcoming federal budget and election.

Their meeting marks the latest chapter in a lengthy campaign to give municipalities a higher profile, and more money. The leaders’ top priorities – transit, housing and infrastructure – may not change, but look for a new swagger in their step.

In part that’s because the creation of new ridings means that urban areas will have more clout when federal voters head to the polls. The extra muscle coincides with a lineup of mayors who seem more willing to work together and articulate a common cause. As well, Montreal and Toronto – the country’s two biggest cities – are back in force on the national scene after being distracted by problems at home in recent years.

Against this backdrop, The Globe and Mail asked five members of the re-energized municipal alliance, including its chair, Vancouver’s Gregor Robertson, to assess the year ahead and outline what role cities will play.

At least one mayor – who, like several of his colleagues, has a profile that goes well beyond his city’s limits – feels that role will be pivotal.

“I firmly believe,” says Calgary’s Naheed Nenshi, “that whoever has the best urban strategy, whoever figures out how to fund transit in Vancouver, in Toronto, gets to be prime minister.”

Read the interviews with mayors Naheed Nenshi, Gregor Robertson, Brian Bowman, Denis Coderre, and John Tory here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22740407/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:55 AM

I don't know how much of an issue it is going to be.

The Liberal platform {which I have read} does not even mention the word transit. I called them up to find out why and they had no idea except that she said they "have other priorities". She says they will roll out their complete policy agenda nearer to the election but not even mentioning it anywhere on your entire website speaks volumes about what they consider priorities.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:30 AM

The liberals have been pretty clear that their full platform won't be released until election time. Trudeau regularly uses that fact to dodge questions he doesn't like too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:35 PM

Regarding the "urban agenda":

The *median* Canadian lives in the Winnipeg CMA (i.e. if the population is set in order with the first Canadians in Toronto and the last Canadians in the most rural areas).

The 60th percentile Canadian (everyone below that can form a majority government) lives in the Saskatoon CMA.

The 70th percentile Canadian (everyone below that can form a minority government or large opposition) is not even in a CMA but rather a CA. (69% live in CMA's)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:36 PM
I am the law!

The "Big City Mayors" have been pushing this for over a decade. I don't see anything coming of it. Possibly because the big city mayors themselves don't share the same focus. Half the municipalities are suburban and you get the sense urban vs suburban mentalities are growing further apart.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Congratulations to Canada's Mayor, Naheed Nenshi, on being acknowledged as the best mayor on the planet.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Congratulations to Canada's Mayor, Naheed Nenshi, on being acknowledged as the best mayor on the planet.

You beat me to it.

I'm glad Toronto and Montreal can be part of these talks again. I remember Rob Ford boycotted them until the last one before elections were called. I believe it was David Miller that help set these meetings up so it's great Toronto will be involved again.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Uhh, yeah... Did the people who chose this ever have to actually work with him? No, the City Mayors Foundation is a think tank that has it's own agenda to promote urbanization and this award is simply given to a mayor who most closely follows their own urbanization agenda.

A quote from an article in The Star from one of the people who are part of the "think tank" that came up with this award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamm Von Hove
“Mayor Naheed Nenshi is a great communicator and listener.
That is 100% the complete opposite I have heard from nearly every single person who has actually had to work with him. He is said to be extremely arrogant, dismissive of the opinion of others, and very predatory to anyone who opposes his views on anything.

Nenshi might still have his delusional fanboys but he is burning more and more bridges and closing more and more doors for himself and this city with his aggressive and non-compromising "leadership" style. His most recent battle with his own council should attest to that. He needs to come to the realization, the people he is battling with were "ALSO" voted in by the people of Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:58 PM
Round Head

There's a terrific cast of Big City Mayors right now - especially in the West. Gregor Robertson (Vancouver), Don Iveson (Edmonton), Naheed Nenshi (Calgary), Brian Bowman (Winnipeg). And Tory and Coderre in Toronto and Montreal have restored some semblance of order to their offices. Jim Watson in Ottawa is also really solid and popular. Having Ford really damaged the ability of this group to affect any change. I think there's much greater power in this particular group. Each of them are far more popular than pretty much any provincial or federal leader.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
There's a terrific cast of Big City Mayors right now - especially in the West. Gregor Robertson (Vancouver), Don Iveson (Edmonton), Naheed Nenshi (Calgary), Brian Bowman (Winnipeg). And Tory and Coderre in Toronto and Montreal have restored some semblance of order to their offices. Jim Watson in Ottawa is also really solid and popular. Having Ford really damaged the ability of this group to affect any change. I think there's much greater power in this particular group. Each of them are far more popular than pretty much any provincial or federal leader.
I believe all the mayors you just listed have approval ratings well above 50%. Neither the Prime Minister nor any provincial premier except for perhaps Brad Wall can say the same. (Wynne & Couillard are both trending up but I don't think either has hit 50% yet).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I believe all the mayors you just listed have approval ratings well above 50%. Neither the Prime Minister nor any provincial premier except for perhaps Brad Wall can say the same. (Wynne & Couillard are both trending up but I don't think either has hit 50% yet).
Both are in the 30s I believe.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada