HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:16 PM
Site 8 Lives

Flashback 1992, New York Times: The Japanese Are Building In Vancouver

May 27, 1992
Real Estate; The Japanese Are Building In Vancouver
By HARRIET KING

JAPANESE investors are carving out an area for commercial development in Vancouver on the western edge of the downtown business district. It centers on Alberni Street, with stores and other projects that cater to wealthy Japanese visitors who fly in on tours and are whisked there by tour buses to shop.

The retailing lure has been strong enough to drive one Japanese company, Ueshima Enterprises Ltd. of Kyoto, to plan a major mixed-use building. Two stores with 17,500 square feet are to be key components in a $20 million, 140,000-square-foot hotel for which the company plans to break ground this summer. The hotel will have 183 rooms and 18 apartments.

Over the last two years, the block between Burrard and Thurlow Streets has been transformed by such boutiques as Sapporo Canada and Saitoh, which offer expensive international designer clothes, furs, perfumes and gifts. Nine Japanese restaurants -- the Grand Fortune is one -- have also opened above the shops.

Vancouver residents typically say they cannot afford to shop there. But the Japanese, who can spend $3,000 duty-free, say prices are bargains in comparison with those at home. Some stores close on days when no buses are scheduled.

The hotel is in the middle of the block. Last year Ueshima cleared the site but the company deferred construction until now because of the poor Japanese economy.

"Retail is the key," said Ronald Lea, the architect who is with the Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership in Vancouver. "It would be difficult to put a hotel on the site and make money without retail space, because the land cost is so high at around $75 a buildable foot." The hotel and lobby will begin on the third floor.

Alan Kwinter, a broker with Colliers, Macaulay Nicolls Inc. who is leasing the hotel's retail space, expects the next development to be at the adjacent Kobe Steak House. The restaurant has been at the location for many years and was the first Japanese business on the block. Saitoh Ltd., a Japanese company, owns the Kobe land and is negotiating to sell the property to Kobe.

"The low-rise Kobe building is no longer in character for the street," Mr. Kwinter said, "although it is tough to know what Saitoh or Kobe will build." One possibility would be for the restaurant to be relocated to the second floor of a new office building development, where leases are cheaper at $30 a square foot -- one-third the $90 a square foot charged for Alberni's street-level retail space, the highest rent level in the city.

Saitoh has already staked out a prime retail location at Alberni and Burrard Streets as a tenant in a building constructed recently by the Bon Street Group. Other tenants there are also Asian -- North Pole Sales, a gift shop, and Seaborn, a fish processing company that ships smoked salmon and sashimi to Japan.

Bon Street is a major Alberni developer that has Canadian, not Asian, partners. The concern mystified real estate brokers when it erected a four-story retail, restaurant and office building instead of an office tower similar to ones that shadow the street. But the partners acknowledge they built a gold mine: retail sales are about $1,200 a square foot compared with $400 a block away on the trendy Robson Street, where stores are popular with local residents and tourists.

Jeffrey Whitlock, Bon Street vice president, said: "We built the retail space to crystallize our holding on the land. Major new office buildings won't be needed for four to five years out." The building could be torn down in five years or the firm could transfer 66,000 square feet of density to another Alberni developer, if the city approves.

Robert Lee, director of market research at CB Commercial, says the time has come for Alberni Street because "Expo '86 put Vancouver on the map."

"A lot of Japanese are coming back to open shops, to invest in real estate or to enjoy the city as tourists," he continued. "We have not seen this kind of development exclusively for the Japanese market anywhere else in North America."

The Japanese have long made investments in British Columbia industrial companies like manufacturers of forestry products. A leader in steering new money to the city was the Tokyu Corporation, which built the Pan Pacific Hotel in time for Expo '86 at the new Convention Center.

Investments by other Asians followed in outlying resorts, and near downtown, the Aoki Corporation of Tokyo acquired the Westin Bayshore when it bought Westin Hotels and Resorts. Aoki will break ground this fall on Bayshore land for 1.1 million square feet of residential space, 36,000 square feet of retail space and a 150,000-square-foot hotel expansion.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:20 PM
loafing in lotusland

Interesting article. Good find. Recently, however, many Japanese have been going to Australia, rather than Canada.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:07 PM

ah the good ole days

once me and my friend walked into one of those japanese stores and everyone just glared at us and kept an eye on us the whole time we looked around

they were not friendly at all

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:57 PM

The hotel was to be an Accor (Sofitel, Novotel) Group property. It went right down to the wire, all designs done etc, most of the contracts negotiated but not all yet executed and then.....the japanese economy took a dive and funds dried up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:10 AM
I'm cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
ah the good ole days

once me and my friend walked into one of those japanese stores and everyone just glared at us and kept an eye on us the whole time we looked around

they were not friendly at all
That happened to my sister and my friend and I at Aberdeen Centre in Richmond. It wasn't a very good feeling.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
The hotel was to be an Accor (Sofitel, Novotel) Group property. It went right down to the wire, all designs done etc, most of the contracts negotiated but not all yet executed and then.....the japanese economy took a dive and funds dried up.
That must have been the building with the rental apartments - and the former DFS space at grade.
I could eventually see that one and the bulding on the corner (with Shabusen, Hermes) coming down and a tall tower going up eventually.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:51 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
That happened to my sister and my friend and I at Aberdeen Centre in Richmond. It wasn't a very good feeling.
Bizarre, ain't it? That a retailer would tune out, or turn away, prospective customers because of race or nationality? Thankfully, smart grocery retailers like TandT and H-Mart seem to embrace all customers, and those stores are always busy -- and very profitable -- as a result.

But this nonsense still does go on at certain retailers and restaurants in the Lower Mainland.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Bizarre, ain't it? That a retailer would tune out, or turn away, prospective customers because of race or nationality? Thankfully, smart grocery retailers like TandT and H-Mart seem to embrace all customers, and those stores are always busy -- and very profitable -- as a result.
I found H-Mart and many Korean shops had a tendency to alienate customers by not having enough staff who were proficient in English.

T&T does seem to hire a few token "whites" in some, if not all, of their locations though.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Thankfully, smart grocery retailers like TandT and H-Mart seem to embrace all customers, and those stores are always busy -- and very profitable -- as a result.
Actually, if you're Asian, T&T treats you like shit (just like how they treat their staff lol). H-Mart is friendly though (and generous with food sampling), I shop there as a result.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
That must have been the building with the rental apartments - and the former DFS space at grade.
I could eventually see that one and the bulding on the corner (with Shabusen, Hermes) coming down and a tall tower going up eventually.
Was thinking a little more about this, and I'm not sure the mid-block site was the site for the Accor hotel. I beilive it was to go where you say - on the SW Corner of Alberni/Burrard. I think they had planed to knock the building down that you mention.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:21 PM
Site 8 Lives

Does anyone know if the Carmana Plaza on Alberni is a result of Japanese investment in this area -- or is it just coincidence that this hotel/short-term residential tower caters to Japanese tour groups and business travellers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues