HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:38 PM

Actually at Gotham Steakhouse next door.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:30 PM

I was on a #20 today and found that they had the automated stop announcement and display system working. In a rather clipped cadence a female voice announced "seventh avenue", "second avenue", etc while the sign would read "E 7 AV" and "E 2 AV", respectively. Kinda neat, but the announcement is not too clear and there is no bell or noise to clue one in to listen as there is on Skytrain. However I think for the sanity for most riders the constant dinging of a bell would be too much. This isn't too disruptive and one could easily tune it out if they weren't interested.

Does anyone know if this system is incorporated into all of our new buses, including the Novabuses?

Regarding the introduction of the E60LF articulated trolleys, I have heard from a few drivers that they are going to be in operation beginning in "a few weeks" and run on the #3, #9, and #20 routes. One driver said he was already signed up to drive the '60s on the 9# some time soon in the spring.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
with glowing hearts

^ the announcements are on the new B-Line articulated buses, but i can hardly hear it....the female voice is all muffled up, sounds like she has a cold or something.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I think all the new buses have the components of the GPS automated-messaging system (if I don't remember wrong, it should be in the form of linux)... But I don't think the Nova Buses have it yet since they don't have the LED Stop Display.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:24 AM
with glowing hearts

SkyTrain planning 'shortsighted'

Burnaby Now
Published: Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dear Editor:

Premier Gordon Campbell recently announced a proposed multibillion-dollar public transit expansion, with the majority of the funding to be applied to SkyTrain improvements.

Although few details were made available, the premier stated that the existing and proposed SkyTrain platforms would be extended in order to accommodate six train cars, instead of the current four cars. The premier further stated that the SkyTrain system would receive added security.

These proposed SkyTrain improvements clearly indicate that the government (past and present) and its planners were exceedingly shortsighted when SkyTrain was initially built.

Surely, one does not have to be a rocket scientist to realize that one must build public commuter systems sufficiently to accommodate an increasing number of passengers over the next 20 years.

It was 'Mickey Mouse' planning to maximize SkyTrain to four cars with a train platform only equal to the task.

Such shortsightedness will now cost taxpayers an extraordinary amount of money, especially given the labour and material cost difference over the initial construction date.

As to the proposed security improvements for SkyTrain, one assumes that gates will finally be installed to discourage fare evaders (whose numbers allegedly approximate 15 per cent of riders) and undesirable characters.

Mike Horton, Burnaby

and with the Canada Line, what we should've had was 60-metre platforms in 2009, expandable to 80-metres in the future.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:41 AM

But in the case of the Expo Line, the station platforms were designed to be lengthened in the future.
Sounds like the writer of the letter does not ride Skytrain - or he would have noticed that the whole platform length is not currently used for the majority of trains - i.e. the problem is really a shortage of cars, rather than platform length.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:43 AM
Vancouver Moderator

i think this article, as mentioned by, Mr. X is very valid with the Canada Line...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Does anyone know if this system is incorporated into all of our new buses, including the Novabuses?

Regarding the introduction of the E60LF articulated trolleys, I have heard from a few drivers that they are going to be in operation beginning in "a few weeks" and run on the #3, #9, and #20 routes. One driver said he was already signed up to drive the '60s on the 9# some time soon in the spring.
It's showing up on all newer buses. They will probably phase it into the older new buses as time goes by (they did on some trolleys which didn't have it before)
I mentioned before that they will start running the #3 in Feb and some other routes will start mid-March apparently.
Btw, there is only 1 E40LF, which is the original 40 ft test bus that was mislabeled. The rest are E40LFRs. I don't believe there was an E60LF model at all, as it would look like the older low floor B-Line buses.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:15 AM
with glowing hearts

From paradigm's flickr pics:

Proposed Wayfinding Pylon. Features a new "T" symbol which, apparently, TransLink is going to use as a beacon for all it's major transit services. Similar to the other "T" or "M" symbols found on other major metro systems around the world.

New Broadway SkyTrain Station improvements (view looking at 2nd Avenue entrance)

Broadway/Commercial SkyTrain Station improvements. From what I can tell in the rendering, it includes:
- a large glass roof to act as a large bus shelter for the 99 B-Line on both the arrival and departing sides of the street
- a new pedestrian crossing directly from the Broadway Station entrance across the street to the Commercial Station hub entrance
- orange/white stripe paint highlighting the pedestrian crossing area on the road
- a widened pedestrian bridge
- new sheltering structure under the pedestrian bridge
- replacement of the Broadway Station metal mesh screens with glass walls

The future of Broadway Station, including the Safeway/condo development

For other details on the Broadway/Commercial Station improvements (as well as Main Street and Metrotown Stations), visit this topic: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139672

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:04 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice! I've been waiting to see renderings of the Safway site. It looks good.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:39 AM

nifty

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:07 AM

last thursday i was on 2 seperate busses with the automated stop announcements, the 3 and the 135. i havent heard it on any other busses yet though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:38 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

FINALLY SOME DENSITY AROUND BWAY STATION!! lets hit up Nanaimo and 29th Ave next

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:25 PM

wow cool development, i wish the safeway development on robson/denman looked like this one.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:33 PM

AWESOME BROADWAY RENDER! Nice to see movement on that front. Hopefully it won;t take too long to be implemented.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:13 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I hope it turns out to be like that: apartment towers, improved shopping destinations, glass roof on SkyTrain (as shown in the safeway/development diagram), and the huge glass roof all around the station (on street-level)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
wow cool development, i wish the safeway development on robson/denman looked like this one.
I have a feeling the safeway wont be staying at that location and will probably just move somewhere else in the area before redevelopment. I also cant see that safeway closing for a number of years.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:10 AM

dope render!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I have a feeling the safeway wont be staying at that location and will probably just move somewhere else in the area before redevelopment. I also cant see that safeway closing for a number of years.
It'll be a great location if it's underneath and surrounded by a bunch of highrise condos, no?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:31 AM
senior something

Wow, great render mr. x! It would be great to see some action around this site. I still think the Shopper's Drug Mark and "The Hub" building were a wasted opprotunity. But it's good to see some progress on the Safeway site, hopefully the rest of the neighborhood will follow...

I'm not the guy from Subway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure