HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:07 AM

Desplaines

Somewhere on River Road

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:07 PM

Oak Park - District House

Sept 28

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 12:48 AM

Albion Oak Park

Sept 19

Sept 20

Sept 26

Oct 3

Oct 11

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:55 AM

Oak Park - South-n-Harlem

Sept 25

Oct 5

Oct 9

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 12:47 PM

What an absolute unit

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:37 PM

I saw that Des Plaines development this morning, hadn't even heard about it.
Found a Daily Herald article (https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...in-des-plaines) and then the developer's website that has the rendering.
Nothing special, below average I'd say. Hopefully the materials are good.
https://www.opus-group.com/Work/Elli...aines-Illinois

Last edited by aaron38; Oct 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 2:16 PM
The City

Not bad for the burbs though. We need a lot more of these around Metra stations

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:21 PM

^I agree. Chicago would feel like such a megalopolis with small "urban" centers like these. It would make the sprawl feel more manageable too and organized around these centers.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 2:58 AM

10-16-18, Mt. Prospect

Some action finally in the NW burbs after a long slumber. This is 20 West, on the Triangle block in Mount Prospect.

Rendering

http://www.nicholasquality.com/proje...artments%C2%A0

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 3:04 AM

10-16-18, Arlington Heights

The Parkview Apartments finished up a while ago, but I haven't been by since then. Not bad, real brick, modest detailing. Pretty basic, but decent infill for an apartment building.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 3:30 AM

Now for some new proposals, it's about time.

Mount Prospect, Maple Street Lofts.
1st Phase: 8 story building, 192 units, Prospect Ave and Maple St
2nd Phase: 7 story building, 65 units, Prospect Ave and Elm St

View from NW Hwy. This isn't a huge parking lot, just a strip along the Metra tracks.

I don't think the 7 story in the background is finalized. I saw a different rendering that has it looking much like the 8 story. Will have to wait and see.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 3:43 AM

And the even bigger news, a new proposal for downtown Arlington Heights, on a lot that's been vacant for as long as I can remember, 20 years maybe. At Campbell and Chestnut.

Quote:

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

The Basics

Total proposed residential units (mix of studio, 1-BR & 2-BR) 358
Total number of enclosed parking spaces 548
Total retail square footage Approximately 18,000 SF

The Buildings

The three buildings that comprise Arlington 425 are designed to work in unity to create a unique living experience while fitting in with the already thriving downtown area of Arlington Heights. The development embraces the rich history and established traditions of this exceptional neighborhood while providing today's renters with the latest design features and amenities. The Highland and Campbell buildings are designed to include rooftop space for recreation or common areas along with garden and green space in interior courtyards below.

225 WEST CAMPBELL | An 8-story building featuring 172 apartments and up to 18,000 square feet of first floor retail space. The building will be designed to integrate with the character of surrounding residential high-rises.

44 SOUTH HIGHLAND | Built on top of a proposed 5-story parking garage that will abut the municipal parking garage, this building will rise to 13 stories in total with 113 units. Using a combination of materials including a partial glass exterior, the Highland building will provide a facade that will balance the neighboring structures and the open sky above.

33 SOUTH CHESTNUT | A classic residential building featuring 73 units designed to create an historic neighborhood rowhome feel.
I wish they hadn't upped the parking as much as they did (Village of AH demanded) but at least the new garage is being put directly adjacent the existing garage (which was planned for expansion) and is buried in the middle of the site.

View from Campbell looking SE.

View from Chestnut, looking NE.

Renderings from: https://www.arlington425.com/index.php#project

Last edited by aaron38; Oct 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 12:46 PM

The Arlington Heights site as it stands today.

Campbell looking SE.

Chestnut looking NE.

The site looks to me like there will still be a sizeable parcel at the south end along Sigwalt where another building could go later (directly in front of me here). And the west side of that garage will now be hidden by this development.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
And the even bigger news, a new proposal for downtown Arlington Heights, on a lot that's been vacant for as long as I can remember, 20 years maybe. At Campbell and Chestnut.

I wish they hadn't upped the parking as much as they did (Village of AH demanded) but at least the new garage is being put directly adjacent the existing garage (which was planned for expansion) and is buried in the middle of the site.

View from Campbell looking SE.

View from Chestnut, looking NE.

Renderings from: https://www.arlington425.com/index.php#project
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I think I recall reading in some article about the development that parking was requested to be increased by Arlington Heights due to actual demand for parking at residential rental developments in their city. From what I remember, the city sells parking passes to most rental developments in their downtown that don't have enough parking on site, so residents of those developments can park in their public garages. Based on this, the city has a real-time pulse for the actual demand for parking on a per bedroom and per unit basis at residential rental developments and the proposed number of parking spaces by the developer needed to be increased to accommodate for projected demand.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:

The site looks to me like there will still be a sizeable parcel at the south end along Sigwalt where another building could go later (directly in front of me here). And the west side of that garage will now be hidden by this development.
There was a proposal for that part of the site that was shot down by the city council earlier this year.

Too big, too dense, too much traffic, blah blah blah. The city council caved to the upset neighbors. If that one got rejected, I cant imagine the bigger one just to the north will go thru....

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:29 PM
The City

Wow, good to see this around Metra

In the end, I’ll never complain about parking demands in the burbs. In the burbs you basically need a car, perhaps even two

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Celtic View Post
There was a proposal for that part of the site that was shot down by the city council earlier this year.

Too big, too dense, too much traffic, blah blah blah. The city council caved to the upset neighbors. If that one got rejected, I cant imagine the bigger one just to the north will go thru....
Welcome to the forum CC! Please keep us up to date on this if you hear more. Do you know when this is going in front of the council?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum CC! Please keep us up to date on this if you hear more. Do you know when this is going in front of the council?
No idea... i dont think its even gone thru the planning commission yet. I'll let you know if i hear anything.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:37 AM

A very different project southeast of Chicago in Merrillville, Indiana to replace the Star Plaza Theatre Complex. The Farm at Crossroad Commons is a $356 million, 40 acre redevelopment, with 1.2 million square foot project at the I-65 Rt. 30 intersection.

https://www.nwitimes.com/business/wh...0590d562f.html

Would include a meeting and event center, a horse arena, four hotels, restaurants, microbrewery and distillery , an office building, townhomes, condominiums, a greenhouse, art gallery, a visitor center, underground parking and other amenities.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
A very different project southeast of Chicago in Merrillville, Indiana to replace the Star Plaza Theatre Complex. The Farm at Crossroad Commons is a $356 million, 40 acre redevelopment, with 1.2 million square foot project at the I-65 Rt. 30 intersection.

https://www.nwitimes.com/business/wh...0590d562f.html

Would include a meeting and event center, a horse arena, four hotels, restaurants, microbrewery and distillery , an office building, townhomes, condominiums, a greenhouse, art gallery, a visitor center, underground parking and other amenities.
Fascinating. This development is near the new "downtown" of the Region. After the collapse of Gary, the intersection of I-65 and Route 30 had become the de facto downtown for the residents of Lake and Porter counties. For the longest time, Dean White's Southlake Shopping Mall was the big draw, at the southeast corner of that intersection. I had a vision that White Lodging would turn the Radisson and Star Plaza property into a more viable central business district with mid-rise office buildings with first-floor retail and food mixed with hotels and mixed-use developments. Centeir Bank built a good-sized headquarters just south of this plot, although it is a bit of an island in its own parking lot. It's a shame more mid-rise offices haven't added to this area to turn it into a more proper business district. As it is, the area is just lousy with strip malls on an epic scale.

This "Farm" is a very suburban development. I am intrigued by the idea of agri-tourism. Fair Oaks Farms, further south along the Interstate, has done good business with that model. I just wish they decided to do this south of the mall. And asking the state and local governments to cover a third of the cost of the project? That's pathetic and the local municipalities should balk at the idea. But they won't, which is sad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development