HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:20 AM

Global news had breaking news saying there was a shooting at a popular downtown night club

is this in addition to that incident?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:24 AM
with glowing hearts

^ could be...i believe there's a nightclub across from the Granville SkyTrain station entrance on Seymour. scary thing is that sometimes, i do roam that area with friends at this time of night.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:25 AM

yah no details anywhere yet

cknw and news 1130 online have nothing

global was pretty vague

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:31 AM

it was just on CTV and i missed it

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 9:11 AM
Cheers!

Always with the nightclubs it seems.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:34 AM
with glowing hearts

Two dead in targeted shooting
Police believe the victims were on their way to dinner at Gotham's Steakhouse

Rhiannon Coppin, The Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER - A black Land Rover pulled up to the curb just south of Gotham's Steakhouse on the 600 block of Seymour Street in downtown Vancouver at around 10:15 p.m. Saturday night. Moments later, gunfire erupted and two men were dead.

"When police arrived on the scene they found two men in a black Land Rover had been shot dead," said Const. Tim Fanning of the Vancouver Police Department.

The men, a 38-year-old from Chilliwack and a 37-year-old Vancouverite, were likely known to police, said Const. Fanning. "If they are who we think they are," he said.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/st...a0ebf2&k=86728

okay, so this had nothing to do with transit.....now lets give some respects with a moment of silence. (1 sec later) now lets get back to talking about buses and trains.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 8:33 PM
David

I noticed that there is a new coffee bar under construction on the mezzanine level of Commercial Drive Station... seems like they are finally starting the long-proposed addition of retail to the inside of Skytrain stations!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 9:21 PM
Vancouver Moderator

At Granville Station: the empty retail store is now to be a future home of International News.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
At Granville Station: the empty retail store is now to be a future home of International News.
Well that doesn't sound like much of an improvement or renovation?! You mean they just kicked out that Asian small buisiness owner on the premise that they were completely re-jigging the retail spaces, adding more light, making more friendly etc. and all they did is close it for a year and then gave the contract to a bigger company?

I was expecting so much more for those stations.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 9:39 PM

is it in the bay part? or the new part? the new part has been pretty empty other than a starbucks last time i was there

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 11:08 PM
Vancouver Moderator

The old part - or the old wing. Notice the new part also has international news.

Picture taken by me with SE Z610i

Edit: resized image

Last edited by deasine; Jan 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 11:23 PM

ah

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 1:06 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
The old part - or the old wing. Notice the new part also has international news.

Picture taken by me with SE Z610i

Edit: resized image
they'll probably realize it'll have to be demolished in two years....the future fare gates need every foot of the available concourse space.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 5:57 AM
with glowing hearts

i was reading those comments on the Facebook "Petition to keep Skytrain running 24 hours"....and holy crap are those people stupid....not to mention a bit irrational.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:02 AM

haha

yeah - those people need to travel bit and realize just how good we have it here

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:04 AM
with glowing hearts

Especially this "Dan Morrison" guy:

Quote:
Fares are another huge problem with communication. The fareboxes break down without notice!! $40,000 a piece! The company will not let athe driver get u another ticket from another coach. Its stupid and most drivers will get u another ticket. Some do have poor customer service skills and attitudes i know that and most of the time they never get disiplined (That i do find concerning cause usaly they are total pricks to the fellow drivers as well and i have noticed that) That is just a small portion. If they do try to help you and go out of there way they WILL get disiplined and there are way too many good deeds they have done to list. and there is also a hugs movie poster full of all the passes and fares a driver must remember! I think there is a total of 46 types of passes and fares...
Quote:
they treat conventional drivers like garbage and are never around whe you need them. They are mainly around SkyTrain Stations and are paired up with supervisors. There are about 300 Transit Security and there force is growing. an average response time to get help from them ranges from 15min to 2 1/2 hr (Thats if T-comm contacts them) for having member of my family dring the buses for 36 years with the company. i have alot more experiance of what they wont tell you. and what actuall happens, CMBC will use ANYTHING to disipline a conventional driver. community shuttle drivers and Transit supervisors rarely get disiplined. They get paid around @27 - $35 an hour but they are not cops, but most act like cops and act like they are hot shots. These are the facts and sad to say they are mainly teamed up with the STA (skyTrain Attendants) Transit Supervisors Community Shuttle Drivers or the GVTA Cops. So there are never around for when a conventional driver is asulted or needs help. Thats what they dont want you to know.

what a lunatic.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:48 AM

^^ So you work at Translink and can disprove him? Sounds like the guy works there and knows what he is talking about, minus the figures if they are bogus. If you read the transit-vancouver mailing list, you will see most of his complaints are shared by other drivers. Not a "lunatic" at all...
Btw, from the group relating to the articulated trolleys:
Quote:
Expect to see the 2500's in service on the #3 Main/Downtown line
starting February. They will be assigned so that artics are about
three runs apart, running on the standard 40' coach headways.

Last edited by zivan56; Jan 21, 2008 at 6:51 AM. Reason: quote

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:53 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
^^ So you work at Translink and can disprove him? Sounds like the guy works there and knows what he is talking about, minus the figures if they are bogus.
well, i do agree with him on some respects...but he has an attitude problem, which makes it quite hard to take him seriously.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:59 AM
Vancouver Moderator

i'm sorry but I have to say many facebookers who joined such transit groups don't really have a clue of what they are saying. I joined just because I agree with the topic... ppl who spam the entire group with messages... sigh...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:19 PM
with glowing hearts

Coastal Renaissance gets thumbs up from ferry fans
Coastal Renaissance wows visitors at Canada Place

Ian Austin, The Province
Published: Monday, January 21, 2008

More than 4,000 eager visitors hopped aboard the Coastal Renaissance yesterday to get a first-hand look at the newest addition to the B.C. Ferries fleet.

The 22,000-tonne vessel, which can carry 1,650 passengers and crew, was a hit with most of the ferry fanciers who showed up at Canada Place for the first of three open houses. It's the first of three Super C-class ferries that will be added to the fleet at a cost of $542 million.

"It's huge -- it's amazing," said Ursula Bohn of Delta. "I like the colour of the interior.

"They have nice photos of B.C., and nature. but I think they should have built it here."

The German-built vessel won the approval of Scott Arkell, who made the trip from Nanaimo for the viewing and is a member of the ferries-devoted website forum ferriesbc.proboards20.com.

"The fit and finish is pretty spectacular, compared to a lot of the older vessels," said Arkell, whose parents both work for B.C. Ferries. "The views from the decks are going to be pretty spectacular. There's a lot of room to move about."

While, generally, the captain gets the best seat in the house on the Coastal Renaissance, the upper deck is given over to the cafeteria and the Sitka Coffee Place, arguably the spot that the early boarders will flock to for the Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay run starting in early March.

"I have a feeling this is going to be a busy spot, and the spot to be," said Cheryl O'Connell, a catering attendant handing out cookies and pop to an appreciative audience.

"It's just so open. It's going to be a lot quieter than the cafeteria -- it's quiet, it's laid back, it's relaxing."

Wood-veneer walls, comfy leatherette seats and spectacular photos lend an upscale atmosphere, and nowhere is there the rusty, salty aroma that plagues some of the fleet's older ships.

Floor-to-ceiling windows are featured in some of the lounges, and fans of White Spot and the Bread Garden will see some familiar menu items -- breakfasts ranging from cold cereal at $2.39 to the all-aboard breakfast with two eggs for $9.29, burgers from $4.99 to $8.79, and full meals ranging from chicken strips and Caesar salad at $8.09 to baked wild salmon with dill sauce at $11.99.

Capt. Harald Stokke welcomed the visitors to his new office, a huge, well-appointed bridge.

"It's great that we can open the bridge and the engine room, so [yesterday's visitors] can see the area that they can't usually see," said Stokke.

"She's a huge, complicated ship, so we want to make sure everyone's up to speed. It'll be a really great day when we get her running between Horseshoe Bay and Departure Bay."

Rosalba Buffat and her family lined up for a souvenir photo that will be e-mailed to every visitor who took an extra minute to pose for a photographer.

"It was great -- we had a lot of fun," said Buffat. "They did a great job. We're trying to book a trip so we can get on the ship."

iaustin@png.canwest.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure