HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I have a feeling the safeway wont be staying at that location and will probably just move somewhere else in the area before redevelopment. I also cant see that safeway closing for a number of years.
there was a pdf plan that outlined the process at translink a while ago - it was posted somewhere here

phase one was opening the station to the south entrance and moving the elevator etc

phase 2 or 3 of the plan was in a few years for safeway to build a new store at the east of the parking lot in doing so Safeway was given more square footage for the move and than the old store was going to be divided into retail more integrated into the station

and than there was a final phase where the old safeway store would be demolished and a whole new development would happen

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:55 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Wow, great render mr. x! It would be great to see some action around this site. I still think the Shopper's Drug Mark and "The Hub" building were a wasted opprotunity. But it's good to see some progress on the Safeway site, hopefully the rest of the neighborhood will follow...
I got the render from paradigm's flickr album, you should be thanking him instead!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:58 AM

Now it would be nice if one or two of those condo towers was really an office tower - like at Marine Drive Station.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:38 PM

Translink buys 141 Diesel-Electric Hybrid buses (32 fleet expansion, 109 replacement)

January 23, 2008
TransLink, Nova ink hybrid bus deal

TransLink CEO Pat Jacobsen has announced an $81.5 million deal with Quebec’s Nova Bus for 141 new diesel-electric ‘hybrid’ buses for delivery beginning next spring.

The new buses run on electricity generated by a small diesel engine. Compared to the newest generation diesel buses, the new hybrids will cut greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel efficiency by 20 per cent.

“The purchase is really two shades of green,” says Jacobsen. “This order adds 32 buses to our fleet in 2009, with Surrey and the South of Fraser to see 25 more buses as a result, giving more people a cleaner, greener alternative to driving. The remaining 109 will replace some of the oldest vehicles in TransLink’s fleet and reduce all emissions, some by as much as 97 per cent per bus.

She adds that TransLink will order more buses this year for delivery in late 2009. “Since 2006, TransLink has purchased more than 620 new buses of all types to modernize the fleet and expand services. We are extremely grateful for the funding support from the federal gas tax revenue sharing program, without which we simply couldn’t have done as much.”

This latest purchase is in addition to the 126 Nova diesel buses, which began arriving in Vancouver in the summer of 2007. Each of those buses has the lowest greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions profile of any non-electric bus in the TransLink fleet. The latest deal with Nova includes an option to purchase another 110 buses.

TransLink’s new Nova diesel buses have already impressed operators and transit passengers with their style, comfort, manoeuvrability and quiet operation. The Allison Parallel hybrid drive system that will power the latest order performed well in TransLink’s Bus Demonstration project, which involved comprehensive field tests of various bus technologies. Electrically powered vehicles such as trolleys and the new Nova hybrids deliver their best performance on low speed stop-and-go routes.

Nova Bus is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Volvo Bus Corporation, the world’s second largest motor coach and transit bus manufacturing group. The arrival of the Nova LFS Diesels in 2007 marked the first time the buses had gone into service in Metro Vancouver.

Backgrounder: TransLink’s New Fleet of Nova LFS HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) buses

* 141 Nova LFS HEV buses will begin arriving in Spring 2009, 32 will expand TransLink’s fleet and 109 will replace older buses.

* Nova, based in St-Eustache, Quebec and owned by Volvo Group, has been producing buses since 1979, and its customers in Western Canada include BC Transit and transit systems in Regina, Whitehorse, Banff and Strathcona, Alberta.

* The Nova LFS HEV is assembled entirely in Canada, and its unique features include:

o Stainless steel and fiberglass frame construction to eliminate corrosion

o Approx. 800 kg lighter than comparable diesel buses, which helps to lower fuel consumption

o This makes the Nova LFS HEV the cleanest, most fuel-efficient non-trolley buses in the history of TransLink ‘s fleet

* 109 of the new Nova Hybrids will replace some of the oldest buses in TransLink’s fleet, reducing all emissions per bus, some by up to 97 per cent:

1990 MCI Classic 2008 Nova LFS HEV
Carbon Monoxide 4.94 g/km 0.34 g/km
Oxides of Nitrogen 16.69 g/km 3.9 g/km
Volatile Organics 1.08 g/km 0.04 g/km
Particulate matter 0.6 g/km 0.015 g/k

* The Nova LFS has facilities for two wheelchairs, and its large entrance area makes it easier for wheelchairs and scooters to board and disembark.

* The arrival of the Nova hybrid buses in 2009 will allow TransLink to meet its expansion targets, including a planned increase of 25 buses in Surrey and the South of Fraser and 10 additional buses to modernize and expand transit on the North Shore.

* TransLink plans further bus orders this year for delivery in late 2009.

The NOVA Bus Diesel-Electric Hybrid Fact Sheet

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:44 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Great expansion to our bus fleet!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 2:02 AM
with glowing hearts

Awesome! and i'm glad they didn't go with New Flyer.

If only they could fix the rear seating arrangement, then it would be an incredible bus. I love the huge windows.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 3:01 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I agree. A great addition.
Now who said going green means you have to compromise style?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:08 AM

that underpass in Surrey is moving along - was quite shocked to see today how much is being done

the trees have all been cleared and excavation is going on

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 8:52 AM

Does anyone know which routes these new busses will be taking?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I agree. A great addition.
Now who said going green means you have to compromise style?
personally i find those buses hideous.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-007 View Post
Does anyone know which routes these new busses will be taking?
The newspaper said urban routes because the hybrids work best with lots of stops and starts.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
personally i find those buses hideous.
I love the Nova buses - well at least they are better than the New Flyer ones.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 12:51 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I love the Nova buses - well at least they are better than the New Flyer ones.
All of the buses on the 25, my route, are the new Nova Buses.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 3:14 AM

The rear half of the Nova Buses are a CPTED (crime prevention through environmental design) disaster. They are inward facing, cloistered, and magnets for vandalism. The front half are fine and they are significantly easier for people in wheelchairs and scooters due to the oversize doors and just generally larger entrance way.

I think an obvious solution to the problem of people refusing to go all the way to the back would be to have a third door at the rear corner. It is the feeling of being trapped too far from the door that keeps people from moving further back. The width of the aisles on the stairs when you have two pairs of forward-facing seats also requires you to push past a lot of people in a narrow space, usually with uneven footing.

This is an ancient bus but it illustrates the idea:

Source

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 26, 2008 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 5:30 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Oh I didn't know buses were designed CPTED LOL. Well it's not that funny.... yeah I have to say the rear of the buses are designed horribly. I have yet to see a bus (not in America) that has a welcoming back area, where ppl want to go to the back and stand. All our buses - no one wants to stand in the back of the bus!!! The Nova ones are really bad for that. But at least they have a huge front. I don't think they can configure the back too much since the 4 seater set cover the wheels. TransLink has already said they wanted 3 seater side facing just to get more standing room.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
All of the buses on the 25, my route, are the new Nova Buses.
No way! The 25 is mine too. Ok, when do you think we'll have them on the 25 and what will the seating arrangement be like? The current buses, as you know, are horrendous and unbearable when it's busy due to a very narrow isle and about a thousand backpacks.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 9:13 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
No way! The 25 is mine too. Ok, when do you think we'll have them on the 25 and what will the seating arrangement be like? The current buses, as you know, are horrendous and unbearable when it's busy due to a very narrow isle and about a thousand backpacks.
Almost all of the buses on the 25 i've been on for the past month have been the new recently shipped Nova Buses (you've gotta love that fresh new bus smell). And it's getting really packed...only a matter of time before they start running the 60-footers. I was at the SUB today, sitting by the west windows, and every 25 for the 2 hours I was there was a Nova Bus.

Maybe we should start painting the UBC buses yellow....they basically act as school buses, on steroids.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 9:43 AM

Oh really....this explains why I haven't noticed I've been getting a ride with my bro or taxiing for the last couple of months. Is the seating similar to this one? -

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 10:02 AM
with glowing hearts

^ yup, that's it. The rear seating is exactly like that, and with the rear window on the left corner rather in the centre like New Flyer. You can also tell they are Nova Bus by the super large windows.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 5:40 PM

These seem a little bit wider in the aisles than the other buses on the 25(forget what they are, D40LF?) - but the set up pretty much looks the same. I was hoping they were more like the new trolleys with heaps of room at the front.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure