HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:55 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
^^ They have to be manually stopped. The Expo stations have the pressure plate, while the Millenium ones use optical methods to detect track intrusions.
Oh...o_O. Yea, we need platform gates (but not gonna happen anytime soon with two types of cars). I had thought those pressure plates (Expo) and lasers (M-Line) would stop the train automatically.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:01 AM

From the Vancouver Transit newsgroup regarding the new artic trolleys:

Quote:
Posted by Derek Cheung

Beginning around the last week of January:

#3 Main/Downtown will see artics assigned on selected runs
Monday-Friday. Initially there will be three or four artics assigned
instead of standard coaches, spaced about three or four runs apart so
that there won't be two artics in a row. The low overhead power
issue won't get fixed until June at the earliest. Apparently the
Trolley Overhead department still hasn't received the necessary
permit from the City of Vancouver required to begin installation of
the feeder cable that will boost the power on the south end of Main
Street.

Unsure at this time if the artics will initially see weekend service
on Main Street.

Beginning 21 April:

#8 Fraser/Downtown hookup with #20 Victoria/Downtown will be broken
up. #3, #8, #20 will be standalone trolley routes.

#3 will retain standard trolleys running on service levels identical
to current levels. As mentioned above, selected runs will be
assigned artic trolleys. Routing downtown to remain as current.
#8 will retain standard trolleys running on service levels identical
to current levels. Routing downtown to remain as current.
#20 will be converted to 100% artic trolley operation. Due to space
limitations at the Harrison Loop, alternating trips will terminate at
the 54th Avenue Loop. There will be a slight reduction in frequency
between trips, but an overall increase in capacity. Routing downtown
to remain as current.

Beginning June 23:

#3 Main/Downtown will be hooked-up with #20 Victoria/Downtown. Route
will be 100% artic trolleys. Routing downtown to be determined.
Dependant on the anticipated completion of feeder cable to boost
power on the south end of Main Street. We'll know by March if this
work will be completed by June.

Also throwing a monkey wrench into the works is the coming closure of
Pender & Granville due to removal of the Canada Line tunnel boring
machine. That work ran over schedule the last time, causing reroutes
for most lines downtown. If the coming closure also runs over
schedule, then possible downtown routings of the #3/#20 hookup will
be affected.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:30 AM
with glowing hearts

BCYL Event with Kevin Falcon
Talk directly with the Minister about BC's Transit Plan

Last week, Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon announced a $14 billion dollar public transit plan for BC. Many BCYL members expressed their support for this plan but many also had questions, concerns and ideas that they wanted the Minister to hear.

To give you a chance to talk directly to the Minister about this transit plan and anything else that’s on your mind, the BCYL will be hosting an Event with Kevin Falcon! This is your chance to make your voice heard on BC”s public transit plan.

This event is open to everyone so please invite your friends and make an effort to attend.

FREE appetizers and drinks will be provided!

Please RSVP as soon as you can. Space is limited.

Date: Friday, February 1, 2008
Time: 1:45pm - 3:30pm
Street: @ UBC - 5990 University Blvd, Vancouver
City/Town: Vancouver, BC

Phone: 778.228.4016
Email: chris.sandve@bcliberals.com

i wish i could attend, but i have class.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:47 AM
Vancouver Moderator

OOO my classes end at 1:55 I can go =)

I think they can be turned off at the station. There was this SkyTrain attendant who was playing with the alarms and jumping on the tracks at waterfront station. -_-"

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Oh...o_O. Yea, we need platform gates (but not gonna happen anytime soon with two types of cars). I had thought those pressure plates (Expo) and lasers (M-Line) would stop the train automatically.
I think the people at the OMC decide once they get an alarm. The new stations' alarms always go off if someone is too close to the edge and sometimes even if the train stops normally at a station (the train sets it off). I think it probably depends on the view they have of the station or whatever they are trained to do. I have seen the alarm go off for a second or two and no delays whatsoever. Sometimes, it would blare for like 10 minutes if they suspect anything and an employee checks under the train.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:54 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Another fun tid bit, when I was younger we would hop between the mk1 cars and ride between the stations late at night, once even over the skybridge
That must've been quite the rush. I've never had the guts to do that.. but have always wanted to try it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:28 PM

Quote:
I had thought those pressure plates (Expo) and lasers (M-Line) would stop the train automatically.
I thought they automatically stopped the trains too. I know the M-Line had some problems with newspaper and debris setting off the sensors - that wouldn't create a problem unless the trains stopped automatically.

Quote:
Translink says Skytrain is experiencing the occasional stop-and-start
Jan, 30 2008 - 8:50 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - Translink says Skytrain is experiencing the occasional stop-and-start due to snow affecting the automatic platform and guideway intrusion systems.
West Coast Express is running normally this morning.

Bus service has been disrupted by the icy roads.

People in hilly areas should expect delays and possible detours in their bus service.

Problem hills of note include boundary between Broadway and Hastings; Granville and 16th ave; Scott Road hill in Surrey.

Buses in North Vancouver are avoiding the higher elevations due to road conditions.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 30, 2008 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 9:37 PM

Noticed this webpage on the Translink website.
Not sure if it is new or not, but it may replace the information previously found on the Board Agendas which are no longer available:

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Library/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 9:51 PM

did they run the trains all night the last few nights?

I know in the past when it snowed they would do that to keeop the tracks in good shape

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
5 or so years ago a women jumped at Broadway and got totally mangled and stuck underneath the train screaming in pain and agony. It took them a long time to get her out(dont remember how long) and then she died. What a way to go, blasting your self with a once in a lifetime experience...literary. I didnt see this but someone I know worked for Skytrain and was there.
Fun stuff.
^There are track sensor which shut of power to the track when something fall in there which effects the old and new trains. There also is a manual shut off button...seen that pressed once when these two drunk out of town hicks decided to start walking across the tracks while a train was approaching. They would of probably triggered the sensor in time to stop the train but it was kind of close because they were entering the other track right when the train was pulling in so they could of still been hit by it before it managed to stop. The transit guy ran full speed to shut it off manually.
Another fun tid bit, when I was younger we would hop between the mk1 cars and ride between the stations late at night, once even over the skybridge
my friend said he saw body parts on the tracks once - someone had jumped

its seems quite a common way to kill yourself here

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:36 PM

is there a link to this transit newsgroup?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:42 PM

This is interesting. In the Toronto Star they ran an article introducing some details about the general design of the city's new streetcars, though the specific models have not been chosen yet. What caught my eye were the quoted ridership figures for the TTC's busiest streetcar and bus routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
What riders will see and hear on future streetcars
Toronto Star
January 26, 2008

[...]

Despite the challenges of running streetcars in mixed traffic, they already serve some of the busiest routes – a total of more than 91,000 people a day ride on the King and Queen lines, compared with about 37,000 on the TTC's busiest bus route, on Dufferin St. Transit City lines will be built with dedicated rights-of-way; and in sections, on Eglinton Ave., Jane St. and Pape Ave., it will operate underground.

[...]
That means both the 98 and 99 B-Lines carry far more than Toronto's busiest bus route and the 99 is closing in on their busiest two streetcar routes combined.

Original thread

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:46 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
I think the people at the OMC decide once they get an alarm. The new stations' alarms always go off if someone is too close to the edge and sometimes even if the train stops normally at a station (the train sets it off). I think it probably depends on the view they have of the station or whatever they are trained to do. I have seen the alarm go off for a second or two and no delays whatsoever. Sometimes, it would blare for like 10 minutes if they suspect anything and an employee checks under the train.
I'm pretty sure they have a panel at the stations. Because she was literally jumping on the track pads and then went on the side and turned off the alarm. The TransLink representative guy (forgot his name) was on Global TV Morning News this morning: he said something like, "we have extra SkyTrain attendants at the stations to of course, make sure the SkyTrain system move smoothly, but also deactivate the emergency alarm should heavy snow trigger it."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:48 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
This is interesting. In the Toronto Star they ran an article introducing some details about the general design of the city's new streetcars, though the specific models have not been chosen yet. What caught my eye were the quoted ridership figures for the TTC's busiest streetcar and bus routes.

That means both the 98 and 99 B-Lines carry far more than Toronto's busiest bus route and the 99 is closing in on their busiest two streetcar routes combined.

Original thread
It would be funny if you post that back up to the "miketornoto thread"

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:53 PM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
It would be funny if you post that back up to the "miketornoto thread"
SFU, you should soooo do that!

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently 60,000 people use the 99 B-Line each day and another 40,000 people use the 98 B-Line daily. That combines to a total of 100,000 daily, beating Toronto's busiest bus route with flying colours and their two busiest streetcar routes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently 60,000 people use the 99 B-Line each day and another 40,000 people use the 98 B-Line daily. That combines to a total of 100,000 daily, beating Toronto's busiest bus route with flying colours and their two busiest streetcar routes.
Yeah but over 22% of Torontonians use transit compared to half that in Vancouver. 22% of a metro area with almost three times the population. Doing some roundabout math that means approx. 2 million transit users in metro Toronto versus only 200, 000 in metro Vancouver. Obviously one is serving the needs of its community better. The routes just aren't as crowded seemingly.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 1:15 AM

Thanks for the correction. I had heard 70,000 from a good source but recall reading 60,000 in the paper a while ago when the bus lanes were introduced.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 1:18 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Yeah but over 22% of Torontonians use transit compared to half that in Vancouver. 22% of a metro area with almost three times the population. Doing some roundabout math that means approx. 2 million transit users in metro Toronto versus only 200, 000 in metro Vancouver. Obviously one is serving the needs of its community better. The routes just aren't as crowded seemingly.
i thought the 22% figure was the City of Toronto, not Metro Toronto. The City of Vancouver (not sure) i read somewhere was 17%...metro is 12.5%.

There's a demand and need for transit in Vancouver, it's just that transit isn't there to serve that demand.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
is there a link to this transit newsgroup?
Group is here:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...sit-Vancouver/

I guess it depends on the length of contact with the sensor or whatnot, I am quite sure there is not a need for an attendant if contact occurs for a few seconds only.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 6:17 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
BCYL Event with Kevin Falcon
Talk directly with the Minister about BC's Transit Plan

Last week, Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon announced a $14 billion dollar public transit plan for BC. Many BCYL members expressed their support for this plan but many also had questions, concerns and ideas that they wanted the Minister to hear.

To give you a chance to talk directly to the Minister about this transit plan and anything else that’s on your mind, the BCYL will be hosting an Event with Kevin Falcon! This is your chance to make your voice heard on BC”s public transit plan.

This event is open to everyone so please invite your friends and make an effort to attend.

FREE appetizers and drinks will be provided!

Please RSVP as soon as you can. Space is limited.

Date: Friday, February 1, 2008
Time: 1:45pm - 3:30pm
Street: @ UBC - 5990 University Blvd, Vancouver
City/Town: Vancouver, BC

Phone: 778.228.4016
Email: chris.sandve@bcliberals.com

i wish i could attend, but i have class.

Hey Everyone:

Unfortunetly, Minister Kevin Falcon has had an urget appointment come up for this Friday so the Event at Mohony & Sons has been rescheduled.

The event will now be held Friday February 29th at 2:15 PM at Mohony & Sons Restaurant.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and I hope to see you on February 29th!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Sandve
President
BC Young Liberals
chris.sandve@bcliberals.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure