HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 6:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

argh... well it's still a friday so I'm fine =)

so do u still have class mr.x then? =(

Last edited by deasine; Jan 31, 2008 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 6:49 AM
with glowing hearts

sorry, got classes every Friday.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 7:53 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
January 25, 2008
Improving accessibility for all: TransLink tests new management & communications system

Customers on certain transit routes throughout Metro Vancouver will notice something new on selected buses for the next few weeks: an automated voice and an information display announcing the next stops.Coast Mountain Bus Company is testing TMAC – the new Transit Management and Communications system – on 23 buses throughout the fleet. “This development is just one of the service and safety improvements we’ll see as a result of TransLink’s $40 million investment in a new radio system for the bus fleet,” says TransLink CEO Pat Jacobsen. TMAC – built onto a communications platform provided by Init Innovations in Transportation of Virginia – improves communication, schedule reliability and safety in a variety of ways.
For example, TMAC enables GPS (Global Positioning System) location of individual buses, so that dispatchers can respond to traffic and demand patterns and change route assignments accordingly. Buses can also be located more accurately in the event of an emergency in which the operator is not able to communicate the position.
GPS location would also allow for further improvements in customer information functions, such as the newly launched Next Bus feature. Currently, Next Bus tells the user when the next six buses are scheduled to arrive at a given stop. With GPS, Next Bus will be able to tell a customer when the next six buses are actually expected to arrive.
Another feature enabled by TMAC is the “annunciator”: customers riding some of the new buses will hear the automated message on the next stop while LED panels in the ceiling display the same information.
The annunciator helps fill a need long called for by advocates in the disability community: improved access for visually impaired people. TransLink has worked closely with the disability community for many years, developing ways of making conventional public transportation more accessible to more people.
TMAC will be tested at random through January 31 on all trolley routes, as well as on selected 99 B-Line, #160, #190 #601 and #701 buses. The pilot test will include a customer survey, to help “fine tune” the system before it is installed on other buses in the fleet.
The LED Displays are also by init:
Quote:
Well-informed passengers on board

Well-informed passengers are satisfied passengers. Our principle is to not only provide information prior to and at the stop, but also during the ride. After all, passengers who are not familiar with a particular place want to know when to get off or transfer.
This can be ensured most efficiently with stop information that is not only audible, as with the digital announcement system MOBILE-MRIvoice, but also visual, by means of displays.

Easy-to-read display

PIDmobil, INIT's LED interior display, is characterized by its excellent readability. This easy-to-read display always keeps your passengers informed about the next stop. The display’s highlights include e.g. extended proportional fonts, an optic filter disc and homogeneous pixels which produce a clear type face. It also has intense luminosity, and its brightness automatically adapts to the amount of ambient light whether it is day or night.

Flexible in many respects

The length of the PIDmobil display can be adapted to the operational requirements by means of extension modules. Anywhere from 16, 20, 24 or even 28 characters can be displayed. In addition, symbols such as STOP, vehicle stops or corresponding icons can be displayed.

The display is controlled by the on-board computer, e.g. COPILOT, since it always knows the exact position of the vehicle. Just in case something changes our display is flexible and has an infrared service interface. Also, programs and fonts can be easily downloaded. Another plus: Small dimensions and a sophisticated mounting fixture allow a simple installation at the vehicle's roof interior area.

Highlights:

> State-of-the-art LED technology
> Excellent readability
> Flexibly expandible
> Infra-red Service Interface
> Proportional fonts, upper and lower case
> Fonts loadable
> “Stop“ and “vehicle stop“ symbols can be displayed separately
Also note init also offers ticket systems and fare collection, which we currently do not have in the transit system.

Init: http://www.init-ka.de/en/index.php

I will get a shot of the LED Display or a video of the system at work.

Random Thought: I wonder if the new hybrid nova buses - some of it for the 15 cambie?

Last edited by deasine; Jan 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 9:36 AM

a pic of new floor tiles at brentwood

beats the old sticker thing they had going on

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:15 PM
BANNED

it's about time they instal LED displays and annoucement in buses, i wonder how long it'll take to get it on all major routes. do they also plan on having displays at bus stops like they had on some 98B stops?

Last edited by eduardo88; Feb 2, 2008 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:02 PM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
it's about time they instal LCD displays and annoucement in buses, i wonder how long it'll take to get it on all major routes. do they also plan on having displays at bus stops like they had on some 98B stops?
i know for sure that is the plan for major stops along Main Street.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 10:40 PM

Odd thing I spotted in this story:

B.C. to 'sting' taxi drivers

Quote:
On top of the list is the right to be picked up and transported to a stated metro destination by any available on-duty taxi driver. Drivers can be fined $288 for breaking that rule.

It's an issue that hits home with Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon, who says he was refused service last year by downtown Vancouver taxi drivers who wouldn't drive him to Surrey.
Was Falcon on a one-man sting operation? I mean, who takes a taxi from Downtown to Surrey?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 10:45 PM

At our firm Xmas party, all the staff get taxi rides home, no matter where they live - i.e. the suburbs. There are usually problems getting rides to far off locations.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West View Post

Was Falcon on a one-man sting operation? I mean, who takes a taxi from Downtown to Surrey?
Somebody who just does not want to ride the Skytrain with the common, ordinary masses, and can bill his transportation expenses to the government, such as a transportation minister in charge of Skytrain's development and operations.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
it's about time they instal LCD displays and annoucement in buses, i wonder how long it'll take to get it on all major routes. do they also plan on having displays at bus stops like they had on some 98B stops?
Correction: LED Displays.

Supposedly, the 95 B-Line will have the B-Line like amenities, such as next-bus displays, init interior displays, automated announcements, etc.

And yes, they were planning to have them on the 3 - Main as well, though I'm not sure when.

Now I'm not sure if I should call it B-Line or RapidBus =S

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 1:11 AM
senior something

hey mr. x, do you know what time the reschedualed event ends? I have class from 2-3, so I'd like to go after 3, but missing one class is no biggie if it comes to that. I'm not a member of the BC Libs (or NDP for that matter), but if answers dont emerge for some of the bigger questions regarding the announcement by the 29th, I'll probably go and pester Falcon and see what I can find out.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post

Supposedly, the 95 B-Line will have the B-Line like amenities, such as next-bus displays, init interior displays, automated announcements, etc.

And yes, they were planning to have them on the 3 - Main as well, though I'm not sure when.

Now I'm not sure if I should call it B-Line or RapidBus =S
I've seen them being tested on 8 Fraser and 9 Broadway buses too.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 2:09 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:

Maybe he was tired? Being a politician, you can't exactly ride transit...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 2:10 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
hey mr. x, do you know what time the reschedualed event ends? I have class from 2-3, so I'd like to go after 3, but missing one class is no biggie if it comes to that. I'm not a member of the BC Libs (or NDP for that matter), but if answers dont emerge for some of the bigger questions regarding the announcement by the 29th, I'll probably go and pester Falcon and see what I can find out.
i believe the event is open to everyone, even those who are not members.

Hey Everyone:

Unfortunetly, Minister Kevin Falcon has had an urget appointment come up for this Friday so the Event at Mohony & Sons has been rescheduled.

The event will now be held Friday February 29th at 2:15 PM at Mohony & Sons Restaurant.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and I hope to see you on February 29th!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Sandve
President
BC Young Liberals
chris.sandve@bcliberals.com

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:12 AM

Quote:

you don't remember that? it was huge in the news and they dragged it out for days

he was at some conference downtown and was refused a fare back to surrey

people were like well if he is the transit guy is he too good for skytrain? blah blah blah

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:13 AM

does anyone read the letters in 24 hours?

did you catch the anti-m line extension guy?

weirdo

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:21 AM
with glowing hearts

^ any links to the letter?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The reason I don't read 24 Hours: stupid news I don't want to hear.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
oops...i feel stupid, i was extra careful not to type LCD but i guess it was on my mind and i just typed it anyway

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 4:27 AM

I guess we know why Kevin Falcon cancelled his BC Young Liberals meet-and-greet for this Friday afternoon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure