HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:43 PM
passion for patterns

Another mystery grocery store crossed my mind. At least, a mystery grocery store pad site. There are one, maybe two, former grocery stores in Northeast Austin east of Berkman. If memory serves, one of them is at Gaston Place and Briarcliff (a few blocks east of the shopping center at Berkman and Briarcliff where the Eckerd's is). Then there's yet another supermarket-sized building at Wheeless and Gaston Place, near Northeast Drive.

Anyone know what these buildings started out as?

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 9:08 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

^^^I know that it used to be Tom Thumb in the shopping center where the Eckerds is located, but I don't know if that what it started out as!

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 9:09 PM
Meh

I remember the Service Merchandise at the Westgate Mall back in the day when it was an indoor mall. One of the last times we were in the store was during a thunderstorm and blew open the doors and broke them. Then just before Service Merchandise went out of business, the building caught on fire.

And Best Products. Ha, my parents should have gotten rich from them at that location. When I was about 3 years old I grabbed a camera tripod from a shelf above, and it fell and hit me.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:34 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Ok let’s see what I can remember.
1. There was a Phar-Mor in Hancock Center
2. G.C. Murphy’s in Hancock Center
3. HEB was on Guadalupe and 39th but closed because it was too small – This is where Rooster Andrews had his store.
4. HEB had a store on the south side of Capital Plaza
5. Bealls was once in Hancock Center
6. Bealls was once in Capital Plaza
7. There was a Gibson’s on Burnet Road at Green lawn Parkway
8. Spartan’s department store on Airport Blvd where the county offices are.
9. Safeway was on Airport Blvd next to Spartan’s
10. Safeway was on Burnet Road at Justin lane
11. Montgomery Ward in Capital Plaza
12. Montgomery Ward in Barton Creek
13. Montgomery Ward in Lake Line Mall (I think but this might be wrong)
14. Handy Andy grocery on Anderson Lane at Rockwood
15. Sage Department Store on Airport north of Highland Mall. Sage started out as a members only store but once the building was paid off it opened up to anyone.
16. Edison’s Jewelry on Anderson Lane between Burnet and Lamar (I think that is a Lacks furniture now)
17. Woolworth on Congress at sixth - site of a couple of famous civil rights sit-in at the lunch counter.
18. Scarborough’s (I know it’s not spelled correctly) Congress at Sixth south of Woolworth
19. Scarborough’s in Highland Mall
20. Sears, Penny’s and Wards all had stores on Congress until the 1960’s
21. Best Products on US 290 (Virginia College building)
22. Gulf Mart on Burnet Road at Anderson Lane
23. Gulf Mart on Burnet Road close to North Loop
24. There was an HEB on 12th street west of ACC Rio Grande Campus. This store closed back in the 60's or 70's and was the first site of ACC's auto repair school.
25. Newberry's on the north east corner of Capital Plaza.
26. There were a handfull of Rylander's Grocery stores that were bought out by Tom Thumb in the early 80's (I think). One was over off of Berkman between 290 and 51st, another was on Lamar at Koening with a third on Balcones at Koening.
27. Kiddy City was a toy store located on Burnet Road at Anderson Lane. There was another location on I-35 at 35th in the old Delwood Center.
There’s got to me many more…
Great List!!! Here are couple of comments on the items listed above:

7. Gibsons - There was also a location on 183 between Spicewood Springs and Anderson Mill Road (the building now contains a Goodwill and Salvation Army store); Another store was located on Ben White (I believe somewhere between S 1st and Manchaca).

9&10 Safeways - Other locations I recall: 183 at Spicewood Springs (now a Big Lots), which later relocated to 183 and Balcones Woods (now a Petsmart/Party City); 183 and 620 in the Northfork shopping center; I-35 and US79 in Round Rock (now a Gattiland). I believe all later became Apple Trees when Safeway pulled out of the Austin market.

13. Montgomery Wards - Wards never had a store at Lakeline.

14. Handy Andy - I believe there was also a store on South Lamar (where the Alamo Drafthouse is now). Later on they all became Market Baskets.

16. Edison's - there was also a location in the Brodie Oaks shopping center on Ben White and S Lamar. That building is now a Neiman Marcus Last Call

18-19 Scarborough’s - There was another store at Barton Creek Mall (where the Dillard's men's store is now).

22-23 Gulf Mart - Are you referring to the Gas station chain? (most became Chevrons in the late 80s).

26. Rylander's Grocery - I believe there was another location at 183 and Ohlen Road (now a Petsmart).

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:39 PM
Austinite

Former K-Mart locations included:

-183 at 620: Now demolished (located roughly where Toys R Us is now); This store later relocated to the Lake Creek Festival shopping center 1/2 mile down the road (now a Burlington Coat Factory)

-183 at Peyton Gin/Ohlen - later became a Dell Factory Outlet store (which has since losed)

-Mopac at Parmer - Now a Big Lots/DollarTree/Half Price books.

-William Canon and I-35 - Now a Burlington Coat Factory

-South Lamar at Ben White - now a Savers' and a few other stores.

K-mart has since pulled out of almost every market in Texas. The closest store left is in Killeen, on the Centex Expressway (US190) at Fort Hood Street (Hwy 195)

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:49 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I forgot about TG&Y (I don't remember the ones in Austin but when I lived in Virginia there was one.)

Montgomery Ward, of course, I forgot that that turned into a Target at Capital Plaza. I remember loving Capital Plaza so much as a kid because it had the only Toys R Us on the north side at the time.

Does anyone have pictures of the old Westgate Mall? I went to a Star Trek convention there during its swan song years (early-mid 90's) but remember it having a fairly funky exterior design.
I miss that old Montgomery Ward at Capital Plaza. It was two stories, and still had that OLD school interior design. The door handles had this pattern that looked like Charlie Brown's t-shirt. I was sad to see it demolished earlier this decade.

I have old videos of Westgate mall from the mid-90s. If I find it, I'll take some screen captures. A friend and I were inside the mall a day before it permanently closed (spring of 1998). Portions had already been demolished (I believe the Service Merchandise/SoloServe building). That was an interesting mall... It had a Lack's as an anchor store. There was also an HEB where Cavender's Boot City is now (detached building). That Arby's next door has been there forEVER. AMC also added an 8-screen theater in the 80s. Westgate reminded me of a mall in New Orleans (Clearview Mall in Metairie).

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 9:30 PM
Meh

Oh yeah, that Arby's next to Westgate has to be one of the oldest in the city. I remember going there with my grandma and mom, and I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Great List!!! Here are couple of comments on the items listed above:

7. Gibsons - There was also a location on 183 between Spicewood Springs and Anderson Mill Road (the building now contains a Goodwill and Salvation Army store); Another store was located on Ben White (I believe somewhere between S 1st and Manchaca).

9&10 Safeways - Other locations I recall: 183 at Spicewood Springs (now a Big Lots), which later relocated to 183 and Balcones Woods (now a Petsmart/Party City); 183 and 620 in the Northfork shopping center; I-35 and US79 in Round Rock (now a Gattiland). I believe all later became Apple Trees when Safeway pulled out of the Austin market.

13. Montgomery Wards - Wards never had a store at Lakeline.

14. Handy Andy - I believe there was also a store on South Lamar (where the Alamo Drafthouse is now). Later on they all became Market Baskets.

16. Edison's - there was also a location in the Brodie Oaks shopping center on Ben White and S Lamar. That building is now a Neiman Marcus Last Call

18-19 Scarborough’s - There was another store at Barton Creek Mall (where the Dillard's men's store is now).

22-23 Gulf Mart - Are you referring to the Gas station chain? (most became Chevrons in the late 80s).

26. Rylander's Grocery - I believe there was another location at 183 and Ohlen Road (now a Petsmart).

_+_+_+_

I stand corrected on Monkey Wards at Lake Line. In the original plan they were to locate a store there but when SOS filed suit delaying the mall for ten years Wards backed out. As for Gulf Mart, they were a large department store bigger than Gibsons selling everything from Tires to clothes to toys to fishing and hunting supplies. They also had cheap garbage gasoline and gave away beverage glasses with an 8 gallon fill-up. I think my mother still has a couple of the glasses. I don't know if this was covered but Winns and Winn-Dixie are two complete different stores. Winn-Dixie is a grocery store chain based outta the south. Based out of San Antonio, Winns was the typical 5 & Dime the kind we don't see anymore.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:45 AM
passion for patterns

I just had a rather inspired moment of remembrance, so I am going to have to divide it into sections:

Department/clothing stores:

I remember the Winn's logo vaguely - it was kind of a chevron or shield with purple and orange maybe? Their typeface was kind of like a sans-serif version of the Firestone tire typeface, or maybe I'm imagining things. Thind of a chevron or shield with purple and orange maybe? Their typeface was kind of bubbly and sans-serif, not unlike the Northeastern Bradlee's logo.

The Winn's at Spicewood Springs and 183 was a few doors down from the Little Caesars, which my family used to frequent all the time. It was in the far corner of the shopping center, not far from the Olan Mills location that was responsible for some of my most adorably 80's kid photos!

There are two department store chains we've collectively failed to mention thus far: Weiner's and Yaring's! I am patting myself on the back for remembering those.

Weiner's was downmarket if I recall, almost a close-out type place, but I think Yaring's was clothes-only and middle-class. There was one at Galleria Oaks (Balcones Club and North 183). I don't know what's in that building now, but the large restaurant pad in that shopping center has been a fairly transient place. There was a 50's themed diner called Hudson's Grill there for a while in the mid 90's.

Research Boulevard pre-freeway upgrade:

One more mystery big box - or medium box, if you will: across from the DFO/Kmart pad on 183 (between Peyton Gin and Burnet). I have a very, very vague memory, of being no more than 5 or 6 (the first time I lived in Austin), and going to a large garden or hardware type store in this building. The typeface, of course, I remember vividly; it was two words, lower-case, thin weighted sans serif font with two colors. (Clearly, I have a penchant for remembering logos and fonts!)

Also, there was a restaurant over on 183 also between Payton Gin and Burnet, roughly where that new two-story shopping center is now. I think it was called Mama's. Anyway, I am not sure if the building got demolished or if it's something else over there, but I recall being around age 4 or so and being burnt on the finger badly by one of those outdoor spot lights that businesses put in front of shrubbery. Maybe this is in front of the PetsMart (which was a Tom Thumb at one point, right?) Going down 183 towards Lamar, I remember the Anderson Square having a much different tenant base than they do now. Grainger's was a Miller's Outpost, but I am not sure if it was anything before that. The Mervyn's was always there as far as I can remember, and what is now the NTB was a TJ Maxx. TJ Maxx disappeared for over a decade, I think, until the mid to late 90's when they began to reappear.

More restaurants:

Fajita Junction. I think they were like the Mexican version of Short Stop - they built several buildings, all constructed in a similar format. I think one remains at Airport and Manor, and there was one up in Cedar Park or Northwest Austin, and one in South Central Austin.

Magic Time Machine was on Riverside between 35 and Congress, right? I had two birthdays there. I remember Sinbad being my waiter one of the times.

Birraporetti's was, if I recall, an Irish and Italian fusion chain. I remember going once (I know for sure we did because my grandfather collects restaurant menus, or rather, steals them, and frames them in his kitchen as a kitschy decoration theme, and he has a Biraporetti's menu)

Steak and Ale was around till at least the mid-late 90's, because I remember going in high school or right after high school with my best friend and being kind of in awe/shock/amusement at the notion of eating in a claustrophobic, decaying restaurant concept. There was the Anderson location, but I was wondering if there was a Southside location?

More grocery stuff:

Of the Randall's in inner west Austin, which began as Safeways or something else? I know the Lake Austin Randall's was the famous AppleTree, but there's also a Randall's at Exposition and Windsor (their smallest by far) and one up on Balcones near 2222. What did the Lohman's Crossing (Lakeway) Randall's begin as?

And finally, to top the exhaustive list, was there a grocery store in the shopping center at Rutland and Parkfield? It seems to be a shopping center large enough to have had one. Also, what was the original tenant for the Harley Davidson dealer on Braker and 35? It looks like it may have been a discount department store or a grocery store at one point.

And we should be ashamed of ourselves for forgetting another local or
regional chain of grocery stores - Foodland! I remember Foodland being considered very downmarket; they stocked Parade brand staples, which is always a bad sign. There was a location at Anderson Mill and Olson/Millwright, a mile west of 183, which is now an Austin Regional Clinic. I remember the local gossip in the neighborhood being focused on the fact that a Foodland checker/bagger walked across Anderson Mill and killed two people in the duplexes across the street. This was probably 1993-1994.

My aunt mentioned yesterday that this used to be a Piggly Wiggly before being a Foodland. Would that make it the only Piggly Wiggly in Austin, or were there others?

Other stores I remember:

Also - Remco and GranTree - do those brands ring a bell to anyone? I don't know what Remco did but GranTree I think was furniture. I could be imagining incorrectly that GranTree was in Austin. It may have been a Seattle thing from when I lived there as a kid (this might be the case, since all I can find on google about GranTree furniture mentions Spokane.) But something tells me Remco and GranTree were both in the Burnet/Northcross area.

Furrow Lumber was located at Anderson Mill and Pond Springs, but it may have been something else before that. (For those who don't know, Pond Springs was Old 183/Jollyville Road) I believe that that is the oldest part of Northwest Austin - there are a few pre 1950's houses around there if I recall. The subdivision Shady Oaks (between Anderson Mill and 183 frontage road, before Hymeadow, under the water tower) is the oldest I believe, some of those houses date from the late 1960's, I think. I know that most of Anderson Mill was built out between 1974 and 1982 (the oldest part being right behind Westwood and the newest part being over near 620/El Salido). Most of Anderson Mill was built at the exact same time as Barrington Oaks (the area right behind Spicewood Springs and 183). The neighborhood that roughly corresponds to Forest North elementary is older than the rest of the area.

Car dealerships:

At Balcones Woods and 183, the Chevy dealer used to be an early 70's vintage design, not at all like what it looks like today. I think it was Cliff Peck when I was really young, then Chevrolet Country for about 15 years before becoming Champion. The Ford dealership started out as Landmark Ford and used to be set back quite far from 183, but now the front entrance is now hemmed off by the frontage road. Another Ford dealership I remember (that is now long gone) is Coffey Lincoln-Mercury, which was located at 5th and Lamar. It was actually a rather interesting looking building if I recall, with tall windows, but it was bulldozed by the early 90's timeframe. Of course Capitol Chevrolet was across the street, and McMorris Ford was on West 6th where the Julian Gold store is now.

My favorite car dealership location has always been what is now Mercedes-Benz of Austin. It always struck me as odd that Airport Boulevard was the pre-eminent luxury car miracle mile before the 90's - the neighborhoods around there were never upscale; the first upper-middle-class neighborhood is probably Allandale, and that's 2 miles away. The rest was never that nice, except for maybe Coronado Hills or Windsor Park east of Berkman. My stepdad grew up over there (went to Reagan) and he said that in the 70's it was considered a fairly smart place to live, and was of course, mostly white.

Anyway, Mercedes-Benz used to be Continental Cars, and there was a time when they sold Peugeot and the oddest ball of them all, Sterling (which was just a Rover 800 basically). I think they also sold Alfa Romeos at either that dealership or the one down on Huntland Drive closer to the airport. I remember collecting all the manuals and begging my mother to test drive the weirdest, most unpractical and overpriced luxury cars.

Does anyone know where/which dealers sold Renaults, Peugeots, Fiats, or AMC's? I know that Pavilion Lincoln Mercury sold Merkurs right when they opened. I remember playing around inside a Merkur Scorpio in the showroom.

Shopping centers that were abandoned during construction:

There was a shopping center at Lake Creek and 183, I think planned to be called Copper Creek Mall, which was only partially built and abandoned in the late 80's. I vividly remember the scaffolding sitting there for YEARS. It was not located exactly where Lake Creek festival is, but rather on the other side of Hymeadow. The scaffolding went all the way to Pond Springs; that lot sat empty for probably a decade and is basically underneath the Black Eyed Pea and those extended stay motels.

Any other shopping centers abandoned mid-flight?

... whew. I am going to bed! That was a buttload of Austin nostalgia.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:57 AM
passion for patterns

Clearly, I wasn't imagining things, as I typed the "GranTree" logo with the correct capitalization.

I found this stock photo

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 5:27 AM

whoah...... who needs a WAY BACK machine when we have this thread!!!!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:32 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Whoa! Foodland does bring bank the memories. I used to frequent the one that was located at Cameron/290 across the Hwy from Reagan High School!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:41 AM

I remember when I was a UT student, Foodland was always known as the place that "didn't card"... so we'd make Foodland runs quite frequently. Can't remember which location, seems like it was off 290 or 183 east of 35.

Also, I've only seen the sign, but is the Alamo Drafthouse on S. Lamar in the former Foodland location next to Ray Hennig's? I do remember that Foodland rather well (after graduating), and shopped there for a while when I lived nearby...

Finally, does anyone remember the warehouse/package store that used to be adjacent to the Hancock center HEB (before the remodel)? It was on the south side of the shopping center, sort of between HEB and the Sears. It wasn't there long. I remember going there also as a student, for cheap, cheap groceries. It was almost like a dollar store, but wasn't called that...

I guess one more way-back machine question... I seem to recall Service Merchandise having a previous different name, and it wasn't Best Products or Solo Serve. Does anyone else remember an earlier name for that store/chain?

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I just had a rather inspired moment of remembrance, so I am going to have to divide it into sections:

There are two department store chains we've collectively failed to mention thus far: Weiner's and Yaring's! I am patting myself on the back for remembering those.

Research Boulevard pre-freeway upgrade:

One more mystery big box - or medium box, if you will: across from the DFO/Kmart pad on 183 (between Peyton Gin and Burnet). I have a very, very vague memory, of being no more than 5 or 6 (the first time I lived in Austin), and going to a large garden or hardware type store in this building. The typeface, of course, I remember vividly; it was two words, lower-case, thin weighted sans serif font with two colors. (Clearly, I have a penchant for remembering logos and fonts!)
a.
Good catch on Weiner's and Yarnig's. If I remember correctly Yarning's was a downtown Austin based store that tried to make it out in the suburbs. When they started to go out of business the only credit they could get was to purchase (and sell in their stores (location in Highland Mall)) old ladies pants - you know early 80's stretch fabric with an eleastic waist band available in lots of 70's colors and prints. My grandmother just loved those pants.... I think Weiner's was a Houston based chain that tried to expand too quickly in competition with Jackson, Texas based Bealls and didn't make it.

Now this one took me a while to remember but the original big box hardware store on 183 and Peyton Gin road was called Handy Dan.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:10 PM
passion for patterns

I know there was the downtown Yaring's and then the one off 183, but were there any others?

My only other Foodland memory was buying Michael Jordan Valentine's cards.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:34 PM

Speaking of old places,

how is that grocery store called City Market still open? It's on the corner of S. First and Ben White access road. Looks like they have not upgraded it in years and I don't know how that place even survives (mafia run). Were there any more City Markets in the city back in the days?

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:23 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
Speaking of old places,

how is that grocery store called City Market still open? It's on the corner of S. First and Ben White access road. Looks like they have not upgraded it in years and I don't know how that place even survives (mafia run). Were there any more City Markets in the city back in the days?
The Foodland that we were all mentioning on 290 and Cameron was a City Market I think.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I guess one more way-back machine question... I seem to recall Service Merchandise having a previous different name, and it wasn't Best Products or Solo Serve. Does anyone else remember an earlier name for that store/chain?
I think it was called Value House?

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 9:43 PM
Closed account

The Alamo on S. Lamar was a City Market in one of it's many previous incarnations.

Speaking of old car dealerships, I believe it was a Capital Chevrolet where the Whole Foods flagship store and headquarters is now. It's seems strange, but even 10 or 15 years ago there were quite a few car dealerships downtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 12:46 AM
Austinite

WOW Arb... your detailed memory is insane!

This thread is fascinating to say the least

One quick comment before I push forward with more remembrances...
The Mercedes dealership on Airport was originally a movie theater, called the Fox Theater 3. When i was a little kid I saw Ghostbusters there, and they had a summer movie series for the kids. A bunch of Peanuts movies as I recall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin