HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:58 PM
Change is good

Let's keep in mind that speed limits are not set based on what your family sedan or sports car can do or that maximum safe design speed of the highway, but a limit at which all vehicles using the road can do. Speeds aren't as dangerous as differences in speed on the same road. A semi doing only 90 while everyone else is doing 130 becomes quite dangerous.

Also to consider, most vehicles become a lot less efficient at higher speeds than 110, simply because the gear ratio isn't there...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 9:40 PM
User Registered

A good summary of the new US-Canada Bridge that was approved last week:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../19890746.html

There's a couple threads in the Ontario section dedicated to the Windsor-Essex Parkway (401 extension) and the new bridge.

This project is 50 years overdue, but better late than never

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:42 AM

Hello

Here is a video I created a couple days ago driving from south Van to Delta.

It starts along highway 99 and ends just as i am crossing the Alex Fraser BRidge (Battery had to die at the best part), but oh well, I took the next exit anyway at Nordel Way.

Enjoy!

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^used to drive the richmond connector[91]/alex-fraser/Nordel route everyday, twice a day, for three years.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Never underestimate the power of social media. That wasn't around during Harris' era. Support has been building up, and it may actually lead to something being changed.
Maybe, but less than 1000 'like's on facebook is pretty insignificant don't you think? That means that in the X amount of months that the campaign has been alive, still less than 0.01% of Ontario's either support it, or care enough to like it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^used to drive the richmond connector[91]/alex-fraser/Nordel route everyday, twice a day, for three years.
So you must notice a couple of the changes then, the new electronic signs, the 99 bus lane, and the new Nelson road interchange (the fly over about half way through the video)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:50 PM

From 2005

Quebec City Skyline par mbsurf, sur Flickr

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
From 2005

Quebec City Skyline par mbsurf, sur Flickr
Même en 2005 il y avait des travaux ! ... coudonc ça n'arrête jamais ici !

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 5:08 PM

More concrete falls off the Gardner, this time on a lawyer's Mercedes,

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...hore-blvd?bn=1

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman224 View Post
More concrete falls off the Gardner, this time on a lawyer's Mercedes,

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...hore-blvd?bn=1
Rebuild it but how? Surface level with frequent pedestrian overpasses? That is how I would do it, but as a 4-lane HOV-only route (similar to my thought for a 400 southern extension) on a narrower ROW. Single occupancy vehicles would be forced onto Lake Shore Boulevard, and would end up thinking twice. Commercial vehicles would be prohibited.

If it were demolished with no free-flowing replacement, the traffic volumes would be way too high and would result in gridlock. A Boston-like Big Dig would be a financial hole and would cost billions, even if it would be the ideal design.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 9:17 PM

When have been built the Gardiner expressway? ... was it all built at the same time ? ... I d'like to compare with the Metropolitain expressway in Montreal wich is falling apart aswell.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ll=...75.09,,0,-0.66

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:07 PM

A couple of new photos of Highway 11 in Ontario to follow a great photo from Québec:

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 8:41 PM
User Registered

I have attempted once again to recreate Canada's iconic 'basketweave' interchange in SimCity 4.

A lot more content is available since the last time I made one, due to a new release of the RealHighway (RHW) mod that is an alternative to the in-game highways.

Anyways, have a look. Click both for full size.

Zoom out:

Zoom in:

I still can't get wider highways to remain after the splits, but hopefully that will be available in the coming releases.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 9:44 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Very cool, Haljackey, and very impressive for a game that is getting so long in tooth. I hope EA has a lot of customization planned for the next release of Sim City, because I've been sorely disappointed with their efforts to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Can't we just have an easy mode for people who can't into urban planning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
A lot of 4 cylinder cars begin to feel squirrel-y at 150kph.
Buying a decent 4-pot to begin with and then maintaining it meticulously helps immensely. That means continually inspecting all components and making sure they are in good condition. My parents' ancient Saab 9-5 is very comfortable and very stable at 150. My cousin's brand-new Honda Civic... not so much. Besides, there's no rule stating that you're obligated to do the speed limit, just that the option is available to you. People just ought to know their own limits and the limits of their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Let's keep in mind that speed limits are not set based on what your family sedan or sports car can do or that maximum safe design speed of the highway, but a limit at which all vehicles using the road can do. Speeds aren't as dangerous as differences in speed on the same road. A semi doing only 90 while everyone else is doing 130 becomes quite dangerous.

Also to consider, most vehicles become a lot less efficient at higher speeds than 110, simply because the gear ratio isn't there...
The Germans manage to keep a system of no-limit freeways, but the speed differential between a Scania semi and someone's 540i don't really matter because everyone follows the golden rule- keep right, except to pass. As far as the gear ratios are concerned, the new 6, 8 and 9-speed (yes, nine) automatics that are coming out will fix that. We have progressed beyond the point of 3 or 4 forward gears, may as well take advantage of it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Identity Condiment

Fuck you, merging traffic!!!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
The Germans manage to keep a system of no-limit freeways, but the speed differential between a Scania semi and someone's 540i don't really matter because everyone follows the golden rule- keep right, except to pass. As far as the gear ratios are concerned, the new 6, 8 and 9-speed (yes, nine) automatics that are coming out will fix that. We have progressed beyond the point of 3 or 4 forward gears, may as well take advantage of it.
I love the golden rule. Wish we could have that here. Seems way more logical than our fast and slow lane rule, where cars in the left lane are free to go 1 mile per hour faster than the cars in the right lane, and that's it. So we end up with 10 to 20 cars tailgating each other in what should be the passing lane. Or you have cars changing to the right lane to pass someone ahead of them (undertaking), which is risky.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 4:54 AM

That basketweave looks even better than your first iteration. Good work.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I love the golden rule. Wish we could have that here. Seems way more logical than our fast and slow lane rule, where cars in the left lane are free to go 1 mile per hour faster than the cars in the right lane, and that's it. So we end up with 10 to 20 cars tailgating each other in what should be the passing lane. Or you have cars changing to the right lane to pass someone ahead of them (undertaking), which is risky.
Yeah, I wish people knew that rule existed here in Winnipeg.
People consistently go 10 under the limit in the left-hand lane here, and its not just a few overly-cautious (or belligerent) folks doing it either.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:23 PM

I just drove back from Montreal on Monday and had a few questions.

[1] What exactly are they doing at the top of the Decarie? The project looks extensive, which led me to conclude that they are completely rebuilding the interchange? It was a little bit confusing, in fact, I was coming from Decarie NB trying to get onto 40 WB to head back towards Ontario and found myself back on the Decarie SB. I just took that to 20 WB instead and went out that way.

[2] Any plans to finish the 20 through Ile-Perrot? I had forgotten that the 20 isn't a full expressway through there, although it being a holiday Monday didn't impact on my trip.

[3] What's the explanation for the 20 near the Turcot Interchange? Namely, why was it designed so as the WB traffic is on the left side of the road and the EB traffic is on the right side of the road. This continues until the interchange with Highway 138 I believe.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Fuck you, merging traffic!!!
Scarily Calgary has a real life example of that off ramp (at Stoney Trail NW as it merges onto eastbound 16th Ave). Witnessed more than one near miss there.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada