HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 11:39 PM

Can someone photoshop the Burj Dubai into the Austin skyline?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:16 AM
Member since 2001

I do not think a 1000' tower in ATX looks too out-of-place; considering how cities are developing in the new world…

Take a look at Dubai: The second & third tallest buildings (Princess Tower & 23 Marina) are roughly 48% the height of the Burj Khalifa. Furthermore, there are another 13 towers, which are approximately 40%, the height of Kalifa.

Oklahoma City: The second tallest building is 59% the height of Devon Tower. All other buildings are below 52%.

Mobile, AL: The second tallest tower in Mobile, RSA BankTrust Building, is 57% the height of RSA Battle House Tower.

Malmö, SWEDEN: The second tallest tower is 43% the height of the Turning Torso.

Nanjing, CHINA: The second tallest tower is 57% the height of the city’s tallest: Zifeng Tower.

And Austin: The Austonian would be 68% the height of a proposed 1000’ tower (not knowing the final height of the forthcoming Fairmont Hotel tower).

Thus, I do not think a 1000’ tower in Austin would look too out-of-place. The infill would fill-in the difference over time.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:50 AM

I agree, a 1000ft tower would look great in our skyline, but if one where to be built I think it would look awesome right next to the Austonian, it will help balance the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Also a difference between a 1000 footer with a spire or crown like key bank in Cleveland (I know its ~950ft) and 1000+ all the way to the top. Also using the oh so precise measurement of comparing it to 301 Congress which is 300, that building looks closer to ~1100 to the rooftop. Having the Fairmont and continued to Rainey St. development will help balance the east side of the skyline. I do think right now, a 850ft building (about t.stacy proposal height) would be perfect.
How about this. Just over 800 to the roof, then just around a thousand to the top of the spire. The skyline still would look better with a couple more 600-700 foot additions. The Fairmont might be too far west in this view to give any visual balance.
(Original photo: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps48c637ed.jpg)

Last edited by Kotliz; Aug 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:33 AM

The Burj in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Longhorn View Post
Can someone photoshop the Burj Dubai into the Austin skyline?
This is a rough estimate. The Burj Khalifa is about 3.98x taller than the Austonian (2722 feet / 683 feet) and trying to take into account the vertical perspective, it might be something along this line. Anyone??
(Not a great fit for us, I think)
(Original photo: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps48c637ed.jpg
Burj Khalifa image from Wikimedia)

Last edited by Kotliz; Aug 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM. Reason: Added photo address

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post
This is a rough estimate. The Burj Khalifa is about 3.98x taller than the Austonian (2722 feet / 683 feet) and trying to take into account the vertical perspective, it might be something along this line. Anyone??
(Not a great fit for us, I think)

Now that would maybe be a bit much for Austin.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:55 AM

HOLY CRRAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!! somebody send that to Shonda Novak at the Statesman!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:31 AM

Burj Khalifa would look better in Houston.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:59 AM

I love me some tall buildings, but I don't think that thing looks good anywhere. Great skylines are more about the overall symmetry and placement of buildings and not just height.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:49 AM
Meh

I would love to float that around on the American-Statesman comments section and Facebook and watch the NIMBYs freak out.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
How about this. Just over 800 to the roof, then just around a thousand to the top of the spire. The skyline still would look better with a couple more 600-700 foot additions. The Fairmont might be too far west in this view to give any visual balance.

This looks awesome.

The more I look at that first pic, the more I like it. The Fairmont, and the Waller Creek tower, if it's built, will help to balance it to the East.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I love me some tall buildings, but I don't think that thing looks good anywhere. Great skylines are more about the overall symmetry and placement of buildings and not just height.
You're on your own there. The Burj Khalifa is one of those rare supertall buildings that looks impressive architecturally as it impressive in height.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:

This right here, this would be perfect for the skyline. Possibly a little further to the west as it will be hard to add a lot of height around the 6th st. district, but I do still think the Fairmont and continued development along Rainey St. would help balance the image. Is your render the old t.stacy site?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:39 PM

How about photoshopping in the buildings that will actually be a part of Austin's skyline soon; i.e. The Bowie, Colorado Tower, the Seaholm tower, and JW Marriott? Fairmont may be a little difficult to photoshop in because of its location. Or maybe not.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
How about photoshopping in the buildings that will actually be a part of Austin's skyline soon; i.e. The Bowie, Colorado Tower, the Seaholm tower, and JW Marriott? Fairmont may be a little difficult to photoshop in because of its location. Or maybe not.
Good idea. I don't much care for this fantasy stuff.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This is what I want to see.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:25 PM

^^^^^^^^Now that tower with the spire rocks. Just perfect for Austin right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
The size of our downtown is interesting in that I think it will be good in the long term, but we are very much the awkward teenager trying to grow into our frame.
HEY SIZE MATTERS...especially to teenagers! Our frame is wider because we are the Capital City of TEXAS. Everything IS bigger in Texas.

The Dubai tower is perfect for Texas! aahh, uuhmmm....not for Austin.

Seriously...our downtown is wide but not that deep. The CVC (capitol view corridor) limitations; the auto lots of old at Lamar; MoPac on the wealthier west side; a great long body of water and green space; relative low crime; and a night life scene throughout have all helped to spread the development across downtown. The view from most places are great. The University of Texas campus has also helped pull taller buildings far the north.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
...the auto lots of old at Lamar...
Before Downtown became the destination that is today, W. 5th St (or was it W.6th St?) off of Lamar was pretty much the "Motor mile" of its day.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:55 AM
Meh

^I think both probably had some dealerships, but I do remember there being a dealership at the Monarch location. They moved out, and then it was some outdoor ceramic/terracotta business that was in the parking lot temporarily while the Monarch organized.

There were others of course. Capital Chevrolet would have been one of them I'm sure. There was also a dealership around 12th & Lamar or thereabouts that famously lost a lot of cars in the 1981 Memorial Day flood. A bunch of brand new cars washed into the creek.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^I think both probably had some dealerships, but I do remember there being a dealership at the Monarch location. They moved out, and then it was some outdoor ceramic/terracotta business that was in the parking lot temporarily while the Monarch organized.

There were others of course. Capital Chevrolet would have been one of them I'm sure. There was also a dealership around 12th & Lamar or thereabouts that famously lost a lot of cars in the 1981 Memorial Day flood. A bunch of brand new cars washed into the creek.
There was a Buick dealership somewhere near where the Monarch is. Is that the one you were thinking of?

I bought my first car at Capital Chevrolet around 1980. Downtown and "near town" weren't very exciting then. I can't think of anything in Austin that was exciting then, although it was a nice city overall. It was very clean and green, and well maintained.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations