HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 7:50 PM

Mississauga is far better than Scarborough. Scarborough has essentially no urban features other than density, while Mississauga is at least mildly urban in the western portion of the downtown.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 10:39 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Mississauga is far better than Scarborough. Scarborough has essentially no urban features other than density, while Mississauga is at least mildly urban in the western portion of the downtown.
Western Portion>???
Do you mean the Northwest area, with those clusters of condos and "highrise masterplans" or do you mean the south west, which is urban, but in a somewhat dreary 70's urban design way. IMO, the most urban area is seemingly the Port Credit area, or the Dundas and Hurontario area. There's no clear definitive manner to where is downtown Mississauga, but I consider it the Hurontario Corridor from Port Credit to Eglinton, with swathes of the southern area to Dixie and Dundas, and also the new condo-filled area not far from that.....mall.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 11:04 PM

of the downtown, so around Square One. Along Confederation Parkway and Living Arts Drive.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 12:08 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
of the downtown, so around Square One. Along Confederation Parkway and Living Arts Drive.
Ahh, this is precisely where I had thought you meant. I must say that a contributing factor to the level of urban-ness along these roads is the fact that
1. Residential with retail in some developments (Parkside Village 3 tower dvlpmnt, Capitol Towers, One Park Tower) add density and streetwall in some cases

2. Downtown University campus right on Confederation Pkwy(I believe), providing place to learn and employment for those who work there, along with continuing streetwall effect with nearby developments.
3. Downtown Square/plaza nearby
4.City Hall and library close by, adds to urban design
5.Dedicated transit (albeit , a BRT, but in several years will be near LRT)
6. Contains the theatre/culture-based Living Art Centre, proving another source of employment and stimulation to the cities economy.

Anyways, I live not far from this immediate area, although I rarely ever visit there, because it's as pedestrian friendly as Scarborough IMO.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:40 PM

Collectively, as a whole, I give Mississauga the edge in terms of skyline vs. Burnaby IMO. ..and it's only getting bigger and better. ..as i imagine Burnaby's skyline is too.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:32 PM
Reason and Freedom

I don't think any town centre in Burnaby (i.e., Metrotown, Brentwood, Edmonds or Lougheed) has really popped its cherry yet, but here is a rendering of the final and tallest tower (172 metres) of the current Station Square development in Metrotown:

Source: https://vimeo.com/188182451

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:01 PM
I am the law!

Metrotown looks far more impressive than the thinly spread out, slab dominated Mississauga City Centre. The difference in number of high rises is rapidly dwindling too. IMO, there's no contest here.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:10 PM

Looking at the SSP database for built/uc projects, Burnaby actually has slightly taller towers than Mississauga for all of the top 25. The west coast often "wins" on subjective measures, but rarely by objective measures as well lol.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:18 PM
I am the law!

If Mississauga City Centre can eventually absorb the skylines around Dundas & Hurontario and Eglinton & Hurontario plus diminish the mall's footprint that I think no one will be able to match it. Take about a hundred more towers.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
If Mississauga City Centre can eventually absorb the skylines around Dundas & Hurontario and Eglinton & Hurontario plus diminish the mall's footprint that I think no one will be able to match it. Take about a hundred more towers.
Can that realistically be expected to happen? Seems like Mississauga is developing much slower than Metrotown is. The Toronto equivalent to Metrotown is North York CC I thought.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:47 AM

North York has slowed development in the last few years. It is relatively built out, there aren't a whole lot of "easy" parcels left. Most of it was built in the late 90's and 2000's.

The hotspot of suburban skylines right now is Vaughan Metro Centre. five 30+ floor towers launched sales up there, 3 in the spring and 2 in the fall. The 3 in the spring are now sold out. The problem is that there were literally no towers there 2 years ago, and only 3 now, so a total of 8 still isn't that much.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:47 AM

Brentwood, Lougheed or Coquitlam are better Metro Vancouver equivalents to Mississauga, though each are quite a bit smaller and less carved up by wide arterials.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:54 AM
I am the law!

Yeah, North York City Centre has one high rise currently under construction.

Mississauga City Centre's skyline is a lot bigger than any of those. It's nearly as big as Coquitlam, Lougheed and Brentwood combined. Six Points is a much better comparison to Lougheed and Coquitlam. MCC currently has four towers under construction with is about half of Metrotown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:03 AM

Metrotown is still the largest suburban skyline in Metro-Van, but Brentwood is really starting to come together.

here are some recent pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Higher and higher...

Oct.18 '16, my pics

And those pics do not include any of the u/c Amazing Brentwood towers (first two over 180 meters) and then there are several other large scale projects proposed for the area.

Solo District also has two more towers to add to its project (and I think someone hinted that they may have had height increases)

Which suburban skyline is the best is of course very subjective, but the fact that in Metro-Vancouver (a city of only 2.5 million) there is the downtown core, then the Metrotown, Brentwood, Lougheed, New Westminster, Coquitlam, North Van, West Van, Richmond, and Surrey skylines (along with other areas such as Broadway (but for me this is now part of downtown) and Ioco, Marine Gateway area, etc...) is quite amazing. It makes the city feel much larger than it is IMO.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Looking at the SSP database for built/uc projects, Burnaby actually has slightly taller towers than Mississauga for all of the top 25. The west coast often "wins" on subjective measures, but rarely by objective measures as well lol.
As far as quality of life goes burnaby is far preferable to Mississauga if you dont have a car but also more costly.

Mississauga as a whole is far more car oriented city than Burnaby (skytrain connections and closer proximity to Vancouver proper) so there's no real incentive to build finer grained urban development.

Mississauga has plenty of cheap office space vacancies in business park style employment lands with ample parking whereas Burnaby is totally built out. You'd have to be a fool to build something like Metrotower 3 in MCC.

I think when the market insanity cools down, we'll see way less high density and "new urban" development in the suburbs when the prices of SFH and urban centers become more reasonable.

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:47 AM

I believe Brentwood Town Centre (area wise) is the same size as Metrotown, with basically the same planning principles in place. Though with Brentwoods later start as a tower neighbourhood, it could end up with the larger skyline, and consequently, larger population wise.

I will go out on a limb and say that in 20 years (or sooner) both Metrotown and Brentwood will trump any suburban skyline in Canada (or skyline outside the core).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 7:06 AM

Remember that Humber Bay shores in Toronto has a 226m tall building going up right now, with a massive amount of undeveloped land in the area. 5that one may be a contender.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I believe Brentwood Town Centre (area wise) is the same size as Metrotown, with basically the same planning principles in place. Though with Brentwoods later start as a tower neighbourhood, it could end up with the larger skyline, and consequently, larger population wise.

I will go out on a limb and say that in 20 years (or sooner) both Metrotown and Brentwood will trump any suburban skyline in Canada (or skyline outside the core).
I agree for a couple of reasons:

1. As Vancouver gets more expensive, people are being driven out to the suburbs.

2. All of the metro-Van municipalities face the same limitations. Mountains, US borders, and Ocean. There is absolutely no place to sprawl at this point.

3. I don't think that Surrey will ever catch up. As time goes by, Brentwood and Metrotown will continue to develop more towers and Surrey will just be reflection of Burnaby's past in terms of skyline.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 7:29 PM

With the Evergreen line connecting municipalities like Coquitlam and Prt Moody, Surrey is destined to take a back seat to them as well. Even without Skytrain, Coquitlam City Centre is already a more attractive and better put together place. I would expect yhat in the next few years a major residential project will be anounced for the large mall.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:47 AM

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/g...rotown-skyline

Metrotown w u/c and proposed

Brentwood w u/c and proposed

They look so similar lol. Totally over exaggerated the height of the 600' towers in Brentwood, but too lazy to fix it.

Last edited by dleung; Oct 26, 2016 at 4:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada