HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:41 PM

Double Decker articulated buses would drastically improve the 99.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
I ride them all the time whenever I'm in Hong Kong. I'm surprised Translink didn't test them earlier considering Victoria has been using them since 2000. Heck, even Vegas runs doubledeckers in their fleet. The 2 doubledeckers that Translink is testing is the super low height version of the Environ500. It's the only variant that will fit under GMT. Should they decide to place an order, their plan is to use them on express routes like the 620, 351, and 555.

Imo, they should also be used on B-line routes where passenger demand is high. However, I don't see Translink using them outside of the routes they are currently testing simply due to the fact that the Richmond depot is the only facility that can accommodate them.
Can the new Hamilton depot accomodate them? Surely they would anticipate that when building it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:01 PM

Would there be enough clearance between the top of the bus & the trolley wires . The articulated Double Deckers is 170pax that would certainly help the #99

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Would there be enough clearance between the top of the bus & the trolley wires . The articulated Double Deckers is 170pax that would certainly help the #99
Yep. This is not the first time they've tested double decker buses in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Ditto Singapore. Dwell times for 2-deckers and artics are roughly the same - it all depends on how many people are at the stop.

If all else fails, though:

and this image is a hoax. 2013 April Fools prank done by Community Transit in Snohomish County.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Would there be enough clearance between the top of the bus & the trolley wires.
I believe the trolley overhead is 18 feet off the ground - that's plenty of room for double decker buses.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:20 PM

I emailed Translink several years ago about using double-deckers on Broadway and their response was that they have looked into it and would be difficult with the amount of passengers boarding and exiting buses.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I believe the trolley overhead is 18 feet off the ground - that's plenty of room for double decker buses.
Definitely room for clearance.

Extra care is required when travelling under SkyTrain’s tracks; and if their route includes streets with trolley overheads, CMBC should be contacted to verify the actual wire clearance: the nominal clearance is 17 feet (5.2 metres), but that can be affected in local areas by a number of factors.

https://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us...ry-mishap.aspx

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
As far as I know, Victoria's BC Transit has been using DD buses for years, and Ottawa just started not long ago I believe. Would love to see lots of them plying our streets like British cities, or in Hong Kong and Singapore.
Ottawa has been using them since 2012.

As for the clearance questions, they are no taller than a transport truck, so any road that can accept trucks can accept double decker buses without any problems.

Regarding dwell times, it takes time for people to learn the proper etiquette, but you go up the stairs the stop after you board, and down the stairs the stop before you get off. On the pro side, they take up less curb space at busy stops, but on the con side they only have 2 doors.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Ottawa has been using them since 2012.

As for the clearance questions, they are no taller than a transport truck, so any road that can accept trucks can accept double decker buses without any problems.

Regarding dwell times, it takes time for people to learn the proper etiquette, but you go up the stairs the stop after you board, and down the stairs the stop before you get off. On the pro side, they take up less curb space at busy stops, but on the con side they only have 2 doors.
Yup, still very new in Ottawa. Victoria has been using modern DD buses since 2000. Modern Hong Kong and Singapore in the commonwealth have been using them since their inception.

I think DD buses are good for people to alight because no one is allowed to stand upstairs, meaning it's a lot easier to make your way to the stairs to prepare to get off before the next stop. For conventional buses, I find that many seated passengers wait till the last minute to squeeze through to get to the door in crowded buses as there is simply no room and awkward to stand up in preparation to get off.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcanuck View Post
Can the new Hamilton depot accomodate them? Surely they would anticipate that when building it.
Unless the 301 gets moved to Hamilton, there are no plans for HTC to use Double deckers as there are no express//long haul regional commuter type routes running out of HTC.

As for accomodating (in case one breaks down and cant get back to RTC for whatever reason) I still wouldn't think so.

---------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:35 AM
Vancouver Moderator

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/trans...bus-order-2019

After a double decker bus pilot project that began last fall, TransLink has announced that it plans to bring 32 double decker buses to Metro Vancouver by next year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:24 AM

The Enviro 500 buses are great! These are really modern hybrid buses. Even London is mostly using the Enviro 400s. I believe Hong Kong uses the most Enviro 500s currently.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:49 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:54 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure