HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 1:46 PM

I was just watching the conversation with the mayors and CBC this question was asked:

Q:
Quote:
"Hi Mayor Wiseman- Would your town consider densification with the idea of smart growth in key areas with more pedestrian oriented development and possible access to some sort of public transit to connect residents to other major centres. also would the town consider high rise residential if it were proposed and what areas would you consider best for densification?"

Ans:
Quote:
"We did a transportation study, about three years ago, which showed there are very few riders in Paradise. We're not receiving a big demand for public transportation in the town. People tell me that they're not likely to wait a couple of hours for a bus. But I can tell you that Mount Pearl is doing a study on public transportation, which Mayor Simms is prepared to share with us to take a look at and see what the possibilities are.
We do have a town plan which outlines where the town is doing its development, and we are aware that in Nova Scotia, they do some construction somewhat different. We haven't considered your specific question at this point. Apartments can be built in high density areas depending on location."
I understand the bus thing but if they could colaborate with Mount Pearl (seems like the municipalities get along and work together just not with St. John's lol) This is understandable and sad that the other municipalities are so frustrated with the transit service that they are concidering creating their own lol .. it may get to the day that its easier to get around in the municipalities outside the St. John's city limits

Also there was a comment about paradise eventually amalgamating with Mount Pearl ... and the mayor said there is no apitite for amalgamation right now but he seemed open to the idea lol! can you imagine if say Mount Pearl Paradise and CBS amalgamated and then it would be like a split city hahaha might actually work (anything is better than the large group of municipalities right now)

Edit: The population of such an amalgamation would be about 67,000 people using today's populations:
Mount Pearl: 24,284
CBS: 24,848
Paradise: 17,695

Last edited by jeddy1989; Oct 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I couldn't bear to listen. I imagined I'd end up too PO'd and... yes, ha!

One of the things I disliked most about living out west was that a lot of the downtown streets really did look an awful lot like Kenmount Road. And even in the core of tall buildings, the surface parking lots still gave it a slight Kenmount Road-feeling.

Since coming home, it's obvious St. John's isn't immune to this hideous, impractical type of development as well. And that bothers me. I'm more willing to tolerate it because I'm home and happy as ****, but I still think we have to build inward (in-fill) and upward, not outward.

Enough with the sprawl. We can't afford to keep this going. The government, at this point, should require special, rarely-granted permits for large lots, to drive anything bigger than a sedan, etc. If we change the scale, and have areas like Circular Road as our largest lots, people who want to live in places like Paradise will still get the same satisfaction because it's all relative.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:09 PM

This was just asked by another person:

Q:
Quote:
"My question is for both Mayors: When will council stop allowing subdivision after subdivision and start high-rise development"
Ans:
Fr Mayor Wiseman
Quote:
"We've never been approached for high-rise development. I understand your point of view."
Seems like theres an apitite for it but maybe Paradise was always looked at as just subdivisions .. but it seems like at least the mayor is open to it

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I couldn't bear to listen. I imagined I'd end up too PO'd and... yes, ha!
It's not a speaking conversation .. its a chat room style conversation and people are asking very valid questions.. you can see all the questions so far just have a look

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It was an interesting read. I submitted a question but was too late. I was curious to know if they feel, since we're basically one large urban area, that planning decisions should be made jointly. But I did much more submissively and eloquently, ha!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:11 PM

Awesome morning shots SignalHillHiker! Something I've always wondered is why keep the salt right on the waterfront? Certainly they could keep it somewhere where it's not an eyesore right in the downtown. It's not a huge issue, I just think it it would look better, and maybe be more practical to store it somewhere else

Also, does this salt only service St. John's, or does mount pearl, paradise, ect use the salt too. If other communities use their own salt, where do they store it??

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 8:16 PM

I've always suspected the huge pile of salt would be a deterrent to those considering Fort William condos. I wouldn't want that as my view for half the year.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
I've always suspected the huge pile of salt would be a deterrent to those considering Fort William condos. I wouldn't want that as my view for half the year.
Wow, I never realized how close the salt pile is to the Fort William Condos. I thought it was further down but i went back and looked at the picture and the salt does appear to be right in front of the condos.

If I was paying all that money for a condo downtown, I don't think I'd want to look at a mountain of salt for half the year! But that's just me!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 9:59 PM

Hey guys have a look at this very interesting look at the type and styles of houses in St. John's over the decades

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/newburbia/timeline/

I really like how in the 2000's there is a rejuvenation and a nod to our cultural past in house designs

you can really see the difference as economic conditions dramatically change

I found it very interesting

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 10:16 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Hey guys have a look at this very interesting look at the type and styles of houses in St. John's over the decades

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/newburbia/timeline/

I really like how in the 2000's there is a rejuvenation and a nod to our cultural past in house designs

you can really see the difference as economic conditions dramatically change

I found it very interesting
While the economic conditions have certainly changed a lot, it's not all typical - there are still some rather small homes built today, just as there were some rather large homes built way back in the 50's which they didn't show. The small post war houses were also built all across Canada. There also isn't much difference in the type of planning that occured from the late 40's and 50's subdivisions to those of today. Except - Churchill Park was even built with a "centre" which seems to be missing from most of today's planning.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
While the economic conditions have certainly changed a lot, it's not all typical - there are still some rather small homes built today, just as there were some rather large homes built way back in the 50's which they didn't show. The small post war houses were also built all across Canada. There also isn't much difference in the type of planning that occured from the late 40's and 50's subdivisions to those of today. Except - Churchill Park was even built with a "centre" which seems to be missing from most of today's planning.
yeap thats my point ... obviously this isnt alllll houses but you can see like it says and what I was saying the influence in the 2000s (generally) and you can see the shift in architecture to Victorian style or victorianesk architecture and more attention to details as well as a much more emphasis on vibrant colours (I agree the planning of these developments arnt good thats a general agreement with everyone in the forum from our discussions) remember all them pale beige pink blue and white vinyl houses of the recent past?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 11:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Guys, some exciting news could be coming soon about us and the CBC. Can't say anything yet because I don't know if that's how they want to go about it. But check back in the Atlantic section regularly over the next few days because we might need your participation. ;-)

Also, love that timeline. The war house was my fave, oddly. A bright colour on thr exterior walls and I'd be good to go.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 1:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^^ That sounds interesting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
yeap thats my point ... obviously this isnt alllll houses but you can see like it says and what I was saying the influence in the 2000s (generally) and you can see the shift in architecture to Victorian style or victorianesk architecture and more attention to details as well as a much more emphasis on vibrant colours (I agree the planning of these developments arnt good thats a general agreement with everyone in the forum from our discussions) remember all them pale beige pink blue and white vinyl houses of the recent past?
They do seem to look better than in the recent past, but there is still a lot which is much the same too. I like that the styles seem to reflect the local tradition, but of course it only goes so far. Many of the streets look very similar, not a very wide ranging architectural variety, but perhaps different from many subdivisions on the mainland, so there is a recognizable local style happening.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 2:10 AM

"Bathrooms, like in Churchill Park houses, had pink, harvest gold, and avocado fixtures."

I've always wondered why exactly my bathroom was pink. Now I know

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:27 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:51 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Guys, some exciting news could be coming soon about us and the CBC. Can't say anything yet because I don't know if that's how they want to go about it. But check back in the Atlantic section regularly over the next few days because we might need your participation. ;-)

Also, love that timeline. The war house was my fave, oddly. A bright colour on thr exterior walls and I'd be good to go.
"Us" being St. John's? Exciting.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 7:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I sold four pictures! *Squeee*

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
I sold four pictures! *Squeee*
Congrats! You definitely deserve it! Could you post them here so we can see which ones??

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 8:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Congrats! You definitely deserve it! Could you post them here so we can see which ones??
Sure.

Military Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Military Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Downtown Busker's Festival by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

George Street Statue by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If you happen to miss the thread, make sure you check this out, all - it's an exciting opportunity for us:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201781

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's