HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 6:20 PM
Karma Police

Absolutely NO reason not to do ground floor retail on Fremont.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:02 AM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:59 PM

Suburban garbage.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:38 PM

DJC article with some choice quotes. Nice to hear from Kevin Cavenaugh.

On a side note, I've thought for a long time that urban design/architecture is fertile territory for social pressure and protest. Why not picket every day outside Myhre Group? They, and many other firms in Portland, should be ashamed of themselves for being willing to participate in projects like this.

No parking, no retail, no love for planned Northeast Portland apartments
POSTED: Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 03:58 PM PT
BY: Lindsey O'Brien, DJC
Tags: Everett Custom Homes, Northeast 44th Avenue and Fremont Street apartments

Elaine Falbo did not go to work on Wednesday, but she wasn’t sick and she wasn’t on vacation.

Falbo stayed away from Bella Flora Studio, the Beaumont-Wilshire neighborhood vintage shop that she has owned for 15 years, because she was upset after recently learning of plans to raze the buildings from 4419 to 4439 N.E. Fremont St. – including her shop – to make way for a new apartment complex.

Though the plans are still preliminary, Falbo and others are concerned that the proposed four-story apartment complex would disturb the “Main Street” commercial feel of the neighborhood because it wouldn’t include ground-floor retail space and on-site parking.

“I’m feeling so sad for this neighborhood right now, and for myself – I’ve lived here my whole life and operated my business here,” Falbo said. “It’s a monstrosity.”

Other Fremont retailers that would be displaced include Nip & Tuck, Sparkle Beauty Bar and Scene Marketing Group. The project proposed by Wally Remmers and his son Victor of Everett Custom Homes would not replace the lost retail space.

Wally Remmers said that a purely residential project makes sense because a growing number of Portlanders want to live near the neighborhood’s other businesses, and because the retail buildings are old and outdated.

The best times are behind those buildings (that would be demolished),” Remmers said. “Our project will be an improvement to the block. … People want to be able to live in retail corridors where they can walk to the store or walk to coffee shops.”

Beaumont-Wilshire and several other neighborhoods in Northeast and Southeast Portland are hot residential markets, according to Remmers. In addition to the project on 44th and Fremont, he is planning five similar apartment projects throughout the east side.

None of the planned developments includes retail at this point, although he did consider it for the project at 44th Avenue and Fremont Street and one of the others. But several consultants advised him that there was no demand for more storefronts along Fremont, so Remmers decided to stick with housing only.

“It’s a flip of the coin on this one, but (retail) just doesn’t make sense,” he said.

The decision bothers developer Kevin Cavenaugh, who owns the mixed-use Ode to Roses building across the street.

Everett Custom Homes is proposing to build a four-story apartment complex at Northeast 44th Avenue and Fremont Street. Local business owners, residents and others, however, object to the plan calling for residential space on the ground floor. (Rendering courtesy of Everett Custom Homes)

“There’s nothing worse than walking along the sidewalk (next to) a building where the blinds on the ground floor will always be drawn because it’s someone’s bedroom; it’s anti-urban design,” he said.

Cavenaugh contends that ground-floor apartments are tough to rent and turn over quickly, and that at-grade residential space kills commerce in a retail village like the one along Fremont Street.

“It’s a horrible solution,” he said. “I love telling people in other cities how our development community is different, but sadly, thanks to these projects, Portland is looking more like a Phoenix or a Sacramento.”

The proposed lack of parking is generating concerns from some business owners who would not be directly impacted by the development.

Mike Mallar, co-owner of Green Dog Pet Supply at 43rd and Fremont, said parking already is in short supply in the area. In fact, the business formerly was located two blocks east on Fremont, but it relocated in part because parking was so strained there. A new apartment complex with no on-site spaces could again present a challenge for his customers, who often tote heavy bags out to their cars, Mallar said.

However, the storefront commercial zoning does not require off-street parking, and its inclusion could bump up rent prices. Remmers said most tenants would likely reach destinations by walking, bicycling or taking transit, although he acknowledged that bus service to the area is spotty.

After participating in an initial meeting with three neighborhood representatives last week, the developers agreed to change the project’s design, which is being completed by Myhre Group Architects. Previously, the plan was to provide 68 one-bedroom apartments, but Remmers said that now some two-bedroom units are planned.

Dan Johnson, president of the Beaumont Business Association, hopes the developers will continue to compromise. He would like to see the community influence plans for retail space and parking.

“We’re not opposed; we’re just not OK with it yet,” he said.

Johnson is expecting a large turnout June 7 for the first public meeting about the project. It’s set to start at 6:30 p.m., at Bethany Lutheran Church.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:59 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Definitely needs ground-floor retail. Wonder why they didn't include it in the first place? Are there retail parking minimums or something?

Otherwise, standard infill building. Don't really get the suburban comment.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:59 AM

KATU's on it now.

"I will have 90 plus people staring into my backyard," she said.

Complete with perfect NIMBY quotes, even if it is a mediocre project.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:19 AM

Wow, this town drives me nuts sometimes.

Quote:
"I will have 90 plus people staring into my backyard," she said.
This is certainly one of the NIMBY standards. A lot of people have issues with change, particularly when it impacts their immediate surroundings. They are not ready to accept a more urban, dense Portland, particularly when it impacts their immediate surroundings. It's a sub-urban, inward-looking, distinctly uncosmopolitan condition.

These people would be saying the same thing no matter how stunning the architecture in question was.

Quote:
Don't really get the suburban comment.
Well, I tried to look at this through different eyes. I guess it's not that bad, but it still looks like something you might see in Sherwood (it might even be progressive there) or Tualitan. It has that quasi-faux-historic thing going on that companies with names like "Everett Custom Homes" will always dependably lean on. Eaves, some corbels (?), fake wood siding, an awkward mix of materials that says "the architect who designed this either has no personal investment in the design or they just plain suck". I'd bet my life that the dominant message this building presents to its environment when and if it is finished is anti-social and CHEAP.

Add to that the fact that they're tearing down existing buildings with active retail and replacing them with little fenced-off private spaces...and what looks like a really uninviting entrance...and they have numerous other infill projects planned for the east side...bad news imo.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:55 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

“It’s a flip of the coin on this one, but (retail) just doesn’t make sense”

The two halves of that sentence make no sense together. If retail "just doesn't make sense," how could the decision as to whether or not to include retail be so close that it's "a flip of a coin on this one." If, in fact, the decision were THAT close - literally a coin flip - why not side with the neighborhood they're building in? If it's really THAT close... right?

...?

The building is generic suburban design... but, hey, I suppose they can't all be gems. The real issue here is the ground floor, which should be retail along Fremont. As it is now, this building feels very anti-neighborhood to me. And the statement about a coin flip feels offensive in that context.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:36 AM

According to the Oregonian the developer is adding retail along Fremont. However, the real gem of the article might be that neighbors complained that the building looked too modern for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 7:05 AM

Quote:
However, the real gem of the article might be that neighbors complained that the building looked too modern for the neighborhood.
Predictable, of course, and a depressing indictment of the level of cultural sophistication here.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
According to the Oregonian the developer is adding retail along Fremont.
That's fantastic. Great job to the neighbors that made it happen. It's good to know that people can influence the projects in their area.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 11:36 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Glee apartments, almost done. pic by me

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 12:09 AM

I came across this, the date is 2010; Was this merely an idea?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 1:27 AM

wtf? we don't have hills that high anywhere near that area.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 1:54 AM

LOL, I spy the CCTV headquarters plopped in the background. I think it's safe to say that no, this isn't anything real.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 7:55 AM

I like the idea of having a Louis Vuitton shop on the same block as the Celtic Corner.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

what in the ....?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:21 PM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 3:25 PM
Semi-Lurker

Construction has begun on the 41@Tillamook apartments. They've torn down the old building that was there, dug where the foundation will be and they were laying out a bunch of re-bar this morning. I can't seem to find any renderings of this project online. Does anyone know of any resources to find that sort of thing?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 11:17 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Construction has begun on the 41@Tillamook apartments. They've torn down the old building that was there, dug where the foundation will be and they were laying out a bunch of re-bar this morning. I can't seem to find any renderings of this project online. Does anyone know of any resources to find that sort of thing?
Google turned up this article:

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/03/16...about-parking/

Quote:
With a 2.9 percent vacancy rate, Portland’s Hollywood District is ripe for development of rental housing. Developer Creston Homes and Myhre Group Architects are teaming up for a couple of 47-unit apartment building projects in the district – Hollywood Apartments is now under construction and 41@Tillamook Apartments is in the permitting phase.
also:

Quote:
planning to replace a surface parking lot and a commercial building on Tillamook Street between 41st and 42nd avenues with a four-story apartment building
article was from March of this year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland