HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:39 PM

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...57429&a=423594

Looks like this is the early assistance intake for this site. It says it will be 30 floors tall with ground floor retail and above grade parking.

This will be quite the change for the skyline of the pearl and their are so many projects going through for the north end this could fill out fast.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:00 PM

Come on, above grade parking??? We should be beyond this already. Above grade totally dehumanizes the first few floors. Hoyt Street should do better. You don't waste livable spaces near parks on parking spaces. Unreal, I would think Switzer would understand how much more valuable those lower spots near these public park investments are. Your overlooking a beautiful new park. The balcony alone is a huge sell. Sad.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:47 PM

Well that's crap! It doesn't look like the Boora or the AMAA renderings had above ground parking. Perhaps that was what won LRS the competition? We need renderings!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:49 PM

Totally agree, cab. A stupid move. Hopefully the Design Commission won't drop the ball and will compel them to do better and consider the public interest along with their bottom line.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:11 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Any chance there's an image floating around that shows what the latest version of this will look like?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:25 AM

I'm willing to wait until I see a design before passing judgement. (Although, given that it's LRS, maybe this is unwise). Quite a lot of buildings in the Pearl have above grade parking, including the Janey, which seems to have received a positive reception here. It could be there is only a limited amount of above-grade parking, and it that it will have a fairly limited impact on street life.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:48 AM

I would imagine the above grade parking will be dead on arrival. This is uniquely located between TWO parks (plus streetcar) so I cant imagine the city will let them piss away the large public investment made adjacent to this prime site.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 3:26 PM

If DOA than why waste design time? God knows why, but Sweitzer has connections, I bet she gets this pushed through. Totally unacceptable and just dumb. This is on par to decisions she's making on the Trimet board, short sighted, dumb, based on 1990's assumptions of suburban auto patterns.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:37 PM

above grade parking

I'm not a big fan of above grade parking, especially on this site and I'm not a big fan of LRS's work. That said, it's probably good to see the design before we assume it's terrible.

Above grade parking could be wrapped in active uses so it is essential screened and internal to the site. It could be on upper levels and beautifully clad and integrated into the architecture.

It seems like a waste of FAR and views to have above grade parking, although it's allowed and it might not be as terrible as assumed.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:35 PM

I believe that Riva on the Park in SoWa has three levels of parking above ground floor retail and residential (?) on the south side on the block away from the park and they did a good job. There is a way to make it work and not be atrocious.

Something has not been discussed is that this is specified as a condo project. When was the last time a condo was built in the city? Does this mean we are at a turning point in the market ?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
Something has not been discussed is that this is specified as a condo project. When was the last time a condo was built in the city? Does this mean we are at a turning point in the market ?
I was wondering about this too, I mean, I thought there were plenty of empty condos in the Encore still...maybe a couple of other condo buildings too. But maybe if they price them a little better it will all work out?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a 30 story tower here, but if it will pencil out.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_jt
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a 30 story tower here, but if it will pencil out.
I'm sure Hoyt and the financiers would not be building their largest project to date if there were fears it wouldn't pencil out. We need more details, but if it is indeed a new condo tower, that would be a remarkable turn for the Pearl.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 3:07 AM

Condos

Block 15 IS a condo tower.

There are condos still for sale in the north Pearl although there won't be 3 years from now when this project is complete.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2m View Post
There are condos still for sale in the north Pearl although there won't be 3 years from now when this project is complete.
True. I wonder how pricey the units will be? I'm guess just as expensive as the Encore units, if not more. I suppose it'd be worth it with the nice views and the parks nearby along with fancy interior work and everything.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2m View Post
Block 15 IS a condo tower.

My understanding is that the architectural contract for this project was for design services through DD or 50% CD, at which point the developer might sit on it for a couple of years until the market is right. Basically they want to get it designed and possibly entitled so that they can build it as quickly as possible when the time is right.

It was months ago that I heard that, so its possible they are pushing ahead to build it sooner.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:32 PM

Affordable housing project can bury parking, but Hoyt can't?

185-unit affordable housing project planned for Pearl District
by Lee Fehrenbacher

San Francisco-based BRIDGE Housing, a 30-year-old nonprofit, is planning to build a mixed-use project in the Pearl District. According to an early pre-application notice from the city, the six-story structure could include as many as 185 units and 115 below-grade parking spaces

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:58 PM

parking

I'm not suggesting that above grade parking is a good idea although the low rise affordable housing projects have different issues to deal with when it comes to parking. Few low rise housing projects have above grade parking.

These low rise projects, whether affordable or market rate, are typically wood frame over a concrete podium. The height of the wood frame building is limited due to the construction type, so parking above the ground level isn't really a smart option. The limited above grade area is reserved for residential space. Most of these frame projects either have below grade parking or some at grade structured parking.

High rise projects have much more flexibility for parking location.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:39 PM

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/12/04/28-story-condominium-building-proposed-for-pearl-district/

I noticed this locked article in the DJC, is this the same project? or is this another one? There are too few details to tell.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 7:51 PM

^same project

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:09 PM

Exactly, so by choice Hoyt is utilizing above ground street activating space for car storage. Its just stupid. These should be premium units especially with the park infrastructure on both sides. Having seen the way Hoyt rep has been on the trimet board I'm not surprised they over values auto infrastructure and miss the incredible opportunity to provide premium livability for a bit more investment. This is a small window into the poor long term thinking going on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland