HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:19 PM

Does anyone know what they're doing to JFK Blvd near 30th street station?

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:33 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Does anyone know what they're doing to JFK Blvd near 30th street station?
If you mean across the bridge toward Center City, they're reconstructing all of the bridges that cross the numbered streets, currently just doing the westbound side.
“I am indeed well aware of the history of Conventional (sic) Hall, both globally and locally, and can assure you that we are carefully exploring avenues for its future.” -- Penn President Amy Gutmann 5 days before demolition began.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:39 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Not a great pic but work has finally begun on the corn exchange at 3rd and Arch. News from at least a year ago was it was becoming headquarters for a tech company, i forget the name.

From PlanPhilly last year:
Office conversion of Corn Exchange / Real World house in Old City edging forward | PlanPhilly.com
Quote:
To a certain generation, the former bank at the corner of Arch and North 3rd streets is MTV’s Real World house. More recently it was an event space, but now plans are well underway to transform it into the new home for the cloud hosting provider Linode, which purchased the property last year.

For Linode founder Christopher Aker, the move into an historic building in Old City is no accident. Linode is planting its physical flag on N3RD Street very deliberately, and betting big as it joins Philly's growing tech community.

Linode’s planned move from the shore town of Galloway, New Jersey into Philadelphia is as much about accommodating growth as it is about being attractive to a talented workforce, said Aker. But he’s quick to point out that the move into Old City is about more than just growing the business. “Life is too short. We wanted this to be something that improved the quality of our lives and the experiences that we have. What better way to do that than be in a really cool old building.”

[snip]
“I am indeed well aware of the history of Conventional (sic) Hall, both globally and locally, and can assure you that we are carefully exploring avenues for its future.” -- Penn President Amy Gutmann 5 days before demolition began.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:39 PM

I was thinking a little bit about the Thomas Jefferson-PhilaU merger, and I was thinking about how great it might be if some of our smaller universities in the city would all merge into one, city-wide university. Specifically, Thomas Jefferson-PhilaU, the University of the Arts, and the University of the Sciences. I would think that together they could offer a truly comprehensive program and benefit greatly from operational efficiencies, expanding offerings, and more widespread recognition. I looked a little into each's offerings, and it doesn't seem to me like there is a ton of overlap. Other universities (e.g. King's College London) have been successful in having several different specialized campuses throughout a city and running shuttles between them (though they are already relatively accessibly to each other via SEPTA). They'd able to market themselves are a "whole city" university, and that is attractive to a lot of people.

I can think of some great synergies that could exist between these schools, and each brings something unique. Thomas Jefferson's medical school, and PhilaU's textiles programs can collaborate in integrating health devices into clothing. USciences pharmacology, life sciences, and healthcare management programs could work well with Jefferson's medical school as well. You've got PhilaU adding a business school and an architecture school that could probably benefit from the design programs at UArts. UArts is the cherry on top to offer liberal arts programs to make a truly comprehensive University where students can explore their creativity and passions. Where there is overlap that causes certain programs to be eliminated at a specific location, the University could use that extra space for new programs, like computer and materials science at USciences' campus, or city planning at PhilaU, for example. I would think such a university would add greatly to the "Eds and Meds" thing we've got going for us, and could compete more on the level of Temple and Drexel.

Thoughts? Can anybody tell me why this wouldn't work or wouldn't be a great idea?

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:47 PM
Me?!?

NPHS bankruptcy jeopardizes Project HOME development
Updated: MAY 26, 2017 — 3:27 PM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170526.html

North Philadelphia Health System’s bankruptcy has put a nearly $13 million LGBTQ-friendly affordable housing project planned by Project HOME near Girard Medical Center in jeopardy, Project HOME officials said.

Project HOME, a nonprofit led by Sister Mary Scullion that has developed 714 units of housing for people who have been homeless or are at risk of homelessness, had agreements to buy five pieces of land from NPHS before the bankruptcy filing on Dec. 31. The bankruptcy froze those deals. As the clock ticks, Project Home is in danger of losing $11 million in construction financing.

To go through with the sales for $1.75 million or even to reject the agreements, NPHS needs permission from U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Magdeline D. Coleman. NPHS wants to do neither. It wants to wait, arguing in a court filing last week that it “should be afforded maximum flexibility to deal with its financial affairs in this large and complex Chapter 11 proceeding.”

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:34 AM

Lincoln Square - Broad and Washington - Luxury apartments/retail - 9 floors

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:37 AM

218 Arch - luxury apartments/retail - 10 floors

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:40 AM

Hanover North Broad - Broad and Callowhill - luxury apartments/retail - two 6 floor buildings

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:59 AM

Penn Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics - 36th and Sansom - 7 floors

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:24 AM

Aramark HQ - 2400 Market - office/retail - 10 floors

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:43 AM

2110 Walnut - condos/retail - 9 floors

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:44 AM

Walnut Estates - 22nd and Walnut - condos/retail - 6 floors

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development