HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
Jesus F-ing C, I cannot believe people are thick-skulled enough to be tearing down more buildings when there is an apartment shortage (esp. in River North) and plenty of people willing to live in converted lofts. And we all know that NIMBYs will use a "loss of parking" claim if anyone ever tries to develop this this site...

I suppose I can take solace that it is at least far from the loop and won't hurt the walk-ability as you get towards the river, but seriously guys.
I'm astounded. Really this is unfortunate. And there better be a good reason

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
How long until this soon to be parking lot in River North at Erie and Orleans is turned into a highrise? Hopefully sooner than later. 2015?

http://yochicago.com/a-one-day-demol...r-north/26373/
We're looking at this, right?: http://g.co/maps/8kesa

I was ready to be angry about another tear down, but after seeing it, am not too upset. It's only one story, doesn't have much character and I imagine if that were to be used in that area as a restaurant it would require a whole lot of work just to get it to the functional stage. When that lot was developed later it would be a goner anyway.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:17 PM
BANNED

^^^Yeah, I was going to say, this wasn't the buildings between Mr.Beer and Green Door. This building was a goner in the long run regardless and, hate to say it, is probably more useful to the city as a parking lot. However, I have a feeling the owners might be planning something more than parking. One doesn't just go around tearing down improvements unless they are A. a hazard or B. you have a plan.

In any case, the lots in this area are ripe for a redevelopment boom over the next decade or so.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:14 PM

High profile tenants - looks like Esquire redevelopment will be a success.

Any word on opennings for Lanvin and Emporio Armani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^I wonder how big the new medical school across the street will be. One less parking lot next to the United Center is always a good thing I suppose.

In retail news: Christian Louboutin, Tom Ford, and Buccellati are all opening in the new Esquire building on Oak. Salvatore Ferragamo is also expanding their Michigan Avenue store, apparently reversing their decision almost a decade ago to cut back their space.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^Yeah, I was going to say, this wasn't the buildings between Mr.Beer and Green Door. This building was a goner in the long run regardless and, hate to say it, is probably more useful to the city as a parking lot. However, I have a feeling the owners might be planning something more than parking. One doesn't just go around tearing down improvements unless they are A. a hazard or B. you have a plan.

In any case, the lots in this area are ripe for a redevelopment boom over the next decade or so.
When I saw the pic I was thoroughly less angry, though I doubt the people building this lot would be doing so unless they thought they would not develop it for years. Though not prohibitively so, concrete is still expensive to spread. I feel like it could have been a cool bar or club, though I obviously know nothing about the structural feasibility of keeping the building. I really wish that these small warehouses could find some use though, they are an important piece of the neighborhood's history after all and as long as the place isn't going to be anything better...

As for River North (the North-Western bits of it) going through a boom once the economy turns around, I definitely see see that. I wish the Sloop would go through a boom though, it would have a much larger affect on the skyline and the way that city dies off south of Congress awkwardly just past some of the best / tallest buildings in the city (235 WVB, Sears/Willis, BOT etc.)
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Lagunitas to build brewery on SW Side

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6460197.story

By Emily Bryson York
Tribune reporter
11:20 a.m. CDT, April 10, 2012

Lagunitas Brewing Co., the Petaluma, Calif.-based craft-brewing powerhouse, is putting down roots in Chicago.

The maker of Lagunitas beers is planning to build a brewery at the old Ryerson steel mill, at 18th Street and Rockwell Avenue, with construction expected to be completed by July 2013 and the first mash in the fourth quarter of 2013. The $15 million to $18 million facility, with an eventual 600,000-barrel capacity is being built as an exact copy of the Petaluma brewery.

"We need to continue to add capacity because sales are growing," Lagunitas founder Tony Magee said in an interview. "I can add capacity in Petaluma, 2,500 miles from where I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it, or I can add capacity there and get all of the diesel out the beer."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
lagunitas to build brewery on sw side... Lagunitas brewing co., the petaluma, calif.-based craft-brewing powerhouse, is putting down roots in chicago.
schweet

TYPING IN ALL CAPS CAN BARELY BEGIN TO PORTRAY MY EXCITEMENT!!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
However, I have a feeling the owners might be planning something more than parking. One doesn't just go around tearing down improvements unless they are A. a hazard or B. you have a plan.
I doubt it's being torn down for parking. Here's the Loopnet listing (expired):
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15735...ON-Chicago-IL/

It might be that the building was torn down to put up a new restaurant. CCRD shows that it was just purchased in February... it used to be somehow connected to the Scala meatpacking family.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:40 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah, I'm sure it was wishful thinking, but in any case I don't expect these lots to last much longer now that the supply of land in the Loop is almost out and the lots in Southern River North are dwindling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
schweet

TYPING IN ALL CAPS CAN BARELY BEGIN TO PORTRAY MY EXCITEMENT!!!
This is good news. A broker from my firm was involved in this. He's a cool dude and actually leaving our company to start his own brewery. He also owns a hop farm in Aurora.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
This is good news. A broker from my firm was involved in this. He's a cool dude and actually leaving our company to start his own brewery. He also owns a hop farm in Aurora.
Im curious how this could possibly effect the surrounding neighborhood. Especially the pocket from Washtenaw West Douglas Park and 16th South to the Pink Line. Its fairly isolated from the messiness of Lawndale, great transit options and has pretty good building stock.

If they truly do build out this new brewery like their California center should be a substantial destination for the area. Whether anyone stays afterwards is the big question.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
TL;DR

There are already live/work lofts on Marshall Blvd that are going for $1000/month.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
...OMG, a precast monstrosity has sprung up overnite around 1400 N. Kingsbury. It's either the Petsmart or the BuyBuyBaby. Looks like a prison, with no freakin' windows, unless they later punch them out of the precast (looks like there might be score lines for that). By the same token, easy to demolish in 10 yrs for a tower...
And now it's even worse. Looks like they've put up the walls for all the stores. Sorry to not have an image to post, but we're up to prison with a capital p.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:32 AM
Plenary pleasures.

The new Logan Center @ The University of Chicago - doesn't officially open until this fall, but the building has essentially been completed as evidenced by a soft-open ceremony at the end of March:

(All photos taken by Jason Smith @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/uchicagoarts/)

I think Williams/Tsien and the University really knocked this one out of the park; it's beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:12 AM

^ What a fantastic building. I want to go up in that tower.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:14 PM

^^^
My school has a Williams and Tsien building opening at the beginning of next year. I can only hope it turns out as well as this one.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:31 PM
BANNED

They had better fix those fire stand pipes in the first photo though. There is already rust staining happening to the brick below the stand pipes which is only going to get worse as the building ages.

This is such a great building, but I'm conditioned to worry about it's future already. I know I'm probably going to have to get outraged by some proposal to mutilate it in 50 years when it's completely out of style. That's why I'm alraedy getting uppity about rust staining forming under those pipes. They need to fix it now so it's one less "problem" with the building that some asshole will use to justify tearing it down in 2065... I can see it already, we'll get the whole "This building is too specialized to reuse, plus there is rust on it" line of BS...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:56 PM
The City

^ You're already getting fired up about its hypothetical future demolition in half a century? Damn, Nowhereman, you've been on a bit of a downer for the past few days....not having a good week?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:02 PM

^^^
If anything, this comment seems a reflection of the articles that both the Trib and NY Times ran on monday concerning the ridiculous and shortsighted demise of some very important, now "too specialized" and "ugly" brutalist buildings (Prentice and Paul Rudolph's Government Center in Goshen, NY). Besides, "they are falling apart." These people use the exact same quotes he is using.

We will have to wait and see with this building though, Williams and Tsien buildings tend to look timelessly beautiful to me. I'm more concerned about the works of people like Zaha Hadid, Daniel Liebeskind, Thomas Mayne et al. because their buildings have a very "now" look that I don't expect people to respect as time passes.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:28 PM

New info on apatments at former L. Miller and Sons Lumber location

Downsized. It is also said to contain two Lettuce Entertain You Restaurants.
Here is some info from the East Village Association. The below pics are from the Scribd doc that is also linked in the write up.

It seems a lot of the De Stijl/Mondrian beauty of the old window / color design has been lost with this proposal. Plus we lost a whole floor and the ceilings (judging by the total height to the fourth floor) have been lowered.

For reference, the old design with pics sourced from Berkelhamer Architects:

Last edited by ChiPhi; Apr 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
They had better fix those fire stand pipes in the first photo though. There is already rust staining happening to the brick below the stand pipes which is only going to get worse as the building ages.
It seems like this is an oversight in so many buildings. I mean, you would think architects have learned by now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development