HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 6:45 PM

1 Nicholas may not be pretty, but it's not the worst either. It does have street-oriented retail on all three exposed sides. It's been a while, but last time I was there, the office space accommodated a mix of smaller tenants (think smaller NGOs, newer companies, etc.) that might otherwise have trouble locating in the core if there weren't office buildings like this one, with it's small floorplates that are less desirable to larger organizations (read Feds), and if that diversity of users has a value (Jane Jacobs, blahblahblah)... well, it's not like you're talking about dynamiting it tomorrow anyway! ;-)

Last edited by McC; Aug 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:32 AM

Brigil Platine wants to build a boutique hotel across the street from the Museum of Civilization on Hull's rue Laurier. But of course, since it's on Confederation Boulevard, the NCC might raise height issues.

The link is only in French;

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...-terrain.shtml

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Brigil Platine wants to build a boutique hotel across the street from the Museum of Civilization on Hull's rue Laurier. But of course, since it's on Confederation Boulevard, the NCC might raise height issues.

The link is only in French;

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...-terrain.shtml
What is "Confederation Boulevard"?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 6:34 AM

It's the street that unites us as a people. And such.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
What is "Confederation Boulevard"?
The loop created by Wellington, Sussex, Alexandra Bridge, Laurier in Gatineau and Portage Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:45 PM

What about boutique hotels in important commercial areas outside the core (i.e. Bank Street, Westboro) which really have no hotels at all?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:47 PM

Westboro is served by the very un-boutique Richmond Motel and the Macies Best Western (just outside of its boundaries), which is itself very hiply served by the Trailer Pork Boys (sic.), who wants a "Cuban"?!

;-)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:01 AM

Westboro could use a small 50-100 room boutique hotel. Bank in the Lansdowne area would probably need 150-200 rooms, whether they are boutique or otherwise (but no motels).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 3:54 PM

It is rumoured that Claridge is to convert the Union Insurance building in the Byward Market to a Hyatt.

Quote:
Entering Ottawa’s hotel market through the back door

When it comes to investing in hotels, it’s hard to beat Ottawa – at least on paper.

Since 1992, the value of hospitality properties in the nation’s capital have climbed faster than most other Canadian markets. That’s according to a study by Colliers International, which also forecasted that Ottawa hotels would grow in value more quickly this year than in any other city in the country.

The challenge for investors, however, is entering the local market, especially downtown. Among the difficulties is that developers often see more value in building condominiums and office towers than hotels, making available land scarce in the core.

However, some hotel operators are finding creative solutions and adding hundreds of new local guest rooms to the city’s inventory in the process.

Quebec City-based Groupe Germain Hospitalité publicly advertised its interest in finding a development site in central Ottawa for its boutique hotel chain, ALT.

It’s partnering with Broccolini Construction to include 148 hotel rooms in the developer’s condominium project at 199 Slater St., between Bank and O’Connor streets. No property in Ottawa currently contains residential and hotel units within a single building, although Ashcroft is constructing a similar mixed-use development on Sparks Street.

Partnering with Broccolini made sense because the hospitality group wasn’t looking to build a huge number of rooms and couldn’t justify using a whole piece of land by itself.

“To make the project more viable, we’re sharing with someone else and, at the end of the day, you end up with two happy guys,” said Jean-Yves Germain, the company’s co-president.

One analyst said these combinations will be the model for future downtown hospitality properties.

“The only way you’d be able to justify a new hotel is if it was part of a residential development or some sort of a mixed use,” said Alam Pirani of Colliers International.

Meanwhile, a local homebuilder is rumoured to be converting a recently acquired ByWard Market office building into a Hyatt hotel.

Claridge Homes purchased a three-property portfolio from the Union of Canada that included the latter’s namesake office building near the corner of York and Dalhousie streets, as well as an adjacent development site and bar.
Claridge vice-president Neil Malhotra told OBJ the company hasn’t decided what to do with the property. Hyatt did not return requests for comment.

However, sources say tenants inside the 10-storey office building have started receiving lease termination notices.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:12 PM

Guess that'd be cool but its a terribly ugly building no matter how they dress it up.

Hope the shawarma place remains though, happens to be my fave.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post
Guess that'd be cool but its a terribly ugly building no matter how they dress it up.

Hope the shawarma place remains though, happens to be my fave.
Disagree on both counts. Just had a look at Hyatt's brands, hope it's an Andaz, they boutique brand...the one in Midtown Manhattan is very cool, with a great great bar.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:08 PM

I wouldn't be too worried about the Shawarama place. A new one pops up in Ottawa every 37 seconds, almost as often as a new Shopper's Drug Mart (they pop up every 31 seconds).

I thought York Entertainment was going to get this property, but I guess they are lacking the bidding power of Claridge.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:58 PM
Closed account

I think the building actually has good bones, and could really shine with a bit of work.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:21 PM

I wonder if they can add some height to the building. I'm not a construction expert.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:24 PM
Busy Beaver

That building would be killer with teal glass

I think what makes the building seem ugly is the irregular accordion-like arrangement of the window panels, as it causes weird fractured reflections of the surroundings. Probably one of those things that looked good on paper but in reality just doesn't work well.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:35 PM

Wouldn't the rooms be massive? The floors are really tall and the windows are huge..how could this be adapted to hotel use? A quick count from streetview and I see 71 windows above main floor, I can't imagine a 71 room Hyatt.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 10:07 PM
Closed account

I believe the top floor has windows inset from the edge of the building, so there could be a few more rooms. If they are just going for a boutique hotel though, that's not necessarily unreasonable and would be perfect for the Byward Market.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Wouldn't the rooms be massive? The floors are really tall and the windows are huge..how could this be adapted to hotel use? A quick count from streetview and I see 71 windows above main floor, I can't imagine a 71 room Hyatt.
They have bought the lot next door. I assumed that they would be adding on to the building using that space.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Disagree on both counts. Just had a look at Hyatt's brands, hope it's an Andaz, they boutique brand...the one in Midtown Manhattan is very cool, with a great great bar.

I just hate the brutalist concrete. The windows are weird too.

I think I stayed at that Hyatt in manhattan. Right beside grand central.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post
I just hate the brutalist concrete. The windows are weird too.

I think I stayed at that Hyatt in manhattan. Right beside grand central.
This is the one I'm referring to: http://newyork.5thavenue.andaz.hyatt...&hyattprop=yes

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa